Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Oct 2001, 04:23 (Ref:158323)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
The V8 Utes

Ok ..this was the first time I had ever seen these things ..and I must say they look good , sound OK and the racing is reasonable..but the crappy promotion is a joke..it makes a mockery of the sport ...a stoopid whip crack to start the warm up lap and those damm nicknames ...i wanted to know who the real drivers were not who "mad dog" or "growler" were ..what a stoopid thing to do

anybody else think that these things were going a bit over the top ?

P.S yes I know I spelt stoopid wrong
Old 10 Oct 2001, 05:02 (Ref:158342)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are just there for the entertainment side of things...

Procar has the Nations Cup for the ex-Super Touring champagne sippers, the production cars for the boy racers and the general public, and the Brutes to attract yokels and hicks

Thye have massive ute musters along with them, which usally draw a few hundred more people to the races, who wouldn't noramally go.

They're not great, but for what they are in place for, they do their job sweetly.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 08:35 (Ref:158384)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, all that 'mad dog' stuff is a joke. And what about the whip? About one car moved... Surely if anything that whip would turn people off attending. Still, it isn't a bad series as far as the actual racing is concerned.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 08:42 (Ref:158386)   #4
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the racing was great. Especially when one of the lead falcons went wide at Forests Elbow, then he and the second placed falcon had a drag race the full length of Conrod Straight.
But yes, I have to admit that the whip cracking thing was sh!te.

BJ
Old 10 Oct 2001, 09:12 (Ref:158400)   #5
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some co-workers of mine watched the whole telecast the other day and instead of going on about what an amazing race the V8 Supercar 1,000 was they keep carrying on asking me about the utes...sigh...

Last edited by Buckshot; 10 Oct 2001 at 09:13.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 09:58 (Ref:158417)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race itself was entertaining enough but the nicknames irritated the hell out of me. I won't even go into the whip cracking farce which was one of the most embarrasing moments i've seen in the sport.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 10:38 (Ref:158427)   #7
HoldenAngel
Rookie

HoldenAngel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought that the whole idea is fantastic! but the whole whip cracking made me want to crawl under a rock and hide!! but then again it did its job, here we all are talking about it *smiles*
Old 10 Oct 2001, 12:08 (Ref:158471)   #8
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasnt going to pay much attention to the utes on the weekend, But after giving Glen Gilbert a hand to put some signs on his car on friday morning i decided i better have a bit of a look.

They were pretty good. Sound and look great, but the feild was a little strung out of the long laps of bathurst. With the cars being so equal once the feild is split up it is very hard for them to catch back up. I think they will be very good on some of the tighter tracks.
Ill be going to the Oran Park round, so ill see how they go then.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 14:43 (Ref:158557)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was actually a good race (pity i had a late one on saterday night and was half asleep), the last lap was pretty good.

On the names and the whip, i don't need to say much, it's already been said.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 15:52 (Ref:158598)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Hang on just had a brainwave.

the whip thing...do you think we could that Chicko girl from last year to have a go at cracking it ??????

I would watch then

but yes must admit the racing wasnt that bad..a nice little circuit like Winton or Wakefiled park or Oran park would be great to see.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 21:57 (Ref:158841)   #11
White Knight

I think you may have missed the point on the whip-cracking gesture. I think you will find it was more to do with the sponsor RM Williams than anything else.

Old 11 Oct 2001, 06:56 (Ref:158951)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
Hang on just had a brainwave.

the whip thing...do you think we could that Chicko girl from last year to have a go at cracking it ??????

I would watch then
Yes, I am sure I'd pay a bit more attention too...
Old 11 Oct 2001, 11:29 (Ref:159005)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the utes were good for what they were. But what they are is an attempt by AVESCO to corner the entertainment market without the formulas that are covered by CAMS. I would rather have seen Formula Fords as the support category to the V8's. Or even HQ's.

Nice work with the 'alcopop' stickers though Mt.
Old 7 Nov 2001, 05:51 (Ref:171260)   #14
HRT 2001
Rookie

HRT 2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They look great
Old 7 Nov 2001, 13:56 (Ref:171415)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by HRT 2001
They look great
They look completely standard to me ????

but I guess they look OK ..but the new V8 utes ..whatever they are calling themselves look fantastic.

you know the ones with the big wings ..wow.
Old 7 Nov 2001, 22:29 (Ref:171676)   #16
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're referring to the Super Utes Power Tour are trying to get up.

V8 LPG Powered with 6 speed sequential boxes.

If they can get them going Power Tour will be an awesome package.
Old 8 Nov 2001, 02:24 (Ref:171751)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Putting aside the silliness of having two different ute categories, how many flamin categories do we need? The BRutes are having a very tough time filling their seats (they did gaurantee 20 of them at Bathurst...)- and those standard Utes cost upwards of $80,000.... how any new competitors are going to be able to afford these new ones, I will never know...
Old 8 Nov 2001, 10:34 (Ref:171826)   #18
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point Crash.

I don't think we need another V8 category for tin tops. Let's have open wheelers please.