Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2002, 12:59 (Ref:340647)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frentzen looking for WRC guest ride?!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns06673.html

Well, there's going to be an all-tarmac Rally Deutschland this year... I'd love to see it!!

Said rally will be held on the off-week immediately after Hungary, so there's certainly time in Frentzen's calendar, if he can work out permission with whoever he's driving for at that point.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 23 Jul 2002 at 13:05.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 13:34 (Ref:340689)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Toyota boss is a bit of a Rally fan...

Although driving a Ford Focus is perhaps more likely to happen if he is at a team with Cosworth power?

I think Frentzen is enjoying life at the moment. And good on him. His career is up and down (the grid) at the moment, but obviously he still loves driving.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 15:22 (Ref:340758)   #3
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will be interesting to see how he gets on, if it goes ahead. Shame that Ferrari won't allow Schumacher to compete as well! LOL
Old 23 Jul 2002, 18:00 (Ref:340931)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who would he have as his codriver?
Old 23 Jul 2002, 20:50 (Ref:341100)   #5
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enrique Bernoldi
Tom Walkinshaw
Sebastien Bourdais
!!
Old 23 Jul 2002, 23:24 (Ref:341221)   #6
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie Jordan.
Obviously!
Old 24 Jul 2002, 02:29 (Ref:341292)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL! I can just imaging EJ strapped to the seat, screaming, with Frentzen yelling "Fire me, will you?!" as he cuts dangerously close to trees and cliffs.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 02:33 (Ref:341293)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard RTL first asked him about it and put the idea in his head. He subsequently rang the Ford rally boss and asked if there was any chance. After Valentino Rossi's successful test, it would be good to see Frentzen get a run.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 03:27 (Ref:341310)   #9
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall reading an article on circuit drivers trying rallying, and they mentioned ( I think) Derek Bell having a go at it at a rally in Britain i think, and the main problem was the adaptation to listening to a co-driver and having to think ahead through his or her directions. It said how Bell (if it was him) got to a point where he just wasn't listening to the navigator any more and it was rather frightening.
I could understand this, as listening to the navigator, processing this info, while dealing with all the car control issues going on for the given corner, must be a developed talent that comes with much much practice, and goes against the solo drivers instincts of total concentration for a given corner combined with the learning a track with only "X" amount of corners that develops into a flow and rythm. I know I am pretty good for learning a track, and comparing times and speeds through a certain set of corners, but having to deal with the constant slew of corner information, surface conditions, tightness, cut or don't cut etc etc from rallying would be more than my brain could handle. It was an interesting read to see that even a top top circuit driver reached a saturation point of dealing with his navigator and just shut him out.

So, I would say that even if a circuit driver had great car control talents, I feel that working properly with a co-driver would probably be the big hurdle to get over.

ps, Mac, when and what are the details of the mentioned Rossi test? I'd be very curious to read about it.

thanks

Last edited by djb; 24 Jul 2002 at 03:30.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 07:37 (Ref:341372)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he had a go on tarmac in a Seat. Not sure when or where (probably somewhere in Spain). He is driving in a rally later this year for Peugeot.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 07:49 (Ref:341376)   #11
mac
Veteran

Rossi will drive in the Network Q Rally of Great Britain this year at the end of the MotoGP season.

Apparently Carlos Sainz reckoned that with a couple more tests, Rossi could be a serious worry for WRC contenders.

Last edited by mac; 24 Jul 2002 at 07:51.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 08:18 (Ref:341388)   #12
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi did well at the Race of Champions on Gran Canaria last year, driving amongst other things a rear-engined buggy and a SEAT WRC car around the rallysprint course.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 15:11 (Ref:341669)   #13
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very cool, would have liked to seen that!
Thanks, and unless Sainz was being overly polite, that shoots my theory all to hell, but then Rossi is something else!