Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1892987)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael who?

Lots of people were wondering what F1 would be like without MS. JV said no one will remember him.

With the arrival of Lewis, there has been no mention of whatshisname?

LH is quite the guy all around.

Alonso did say yesterday anyone is a championship contender with a good car. LH is a contender.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1893011)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete
Lots of people were wondering what F1 would be like without MS. JV said no one will remember him.

With the arrival of Lewis, there has been no mention of whatshisname?

LH is quite the guy all around.

Alonso did say yesterday anyone is a championship contender with a good car. LH is a contender.
I am pretty sure Mr. 7 times WDC will be remembered for quite some time. Though I like Hamilton, to compare him to Michael after 4 races (none of which he has won) is a bit of a stretch.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1893021)   #3
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Micheal has been mentioned a few times on the commentry and in the pre/after race analysis on ITV.

I doubt a 7 times world champion will 'suddenly' be forgotten. Thats just crazy!

You wait till some of the European races and he's walking about on the grid as a VIP, he'll get loads of coverage then.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:39 (Ref:1893033)   #4
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi has been mentioned several times. I would agree that since the accomplishment of winning 7 WDC's is so far above being in the podium three times that there's no need to mention Schumi. I would also add that the "what's his name" title most aptly belongs to JV nowadays.....
As an afterthought, I'll add also that JV once was the brightest young promise on the grid. LH has enormous potential. He needs to avoid the hype...
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1893037)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces
You wait till some of the European races and he's walking about on the grid as a VIP, he'll get loads of coverage then.

I anticipate there being a thread on here complaining on the coverage ITV will give him whenever he turns up, rumoured to be at the Nurburgring !
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:47 (Ref:1893041)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Schumacher has been mentioned loads.
And Lewis has several other (merged) threads.
and RT's post made me choke.

Is this a Schumacher thread? In which case it should be rather short.
A Lewis thread? In which case a merge would be good.
or a Villeneuve thread? In which case a close for old times sake.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1893049)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say a couple of things:
1) MS has won way more than anyone else in F1 history, thus no newcomer, albeit brilliant, talented, and effective, can outshine him.

2)MS' retirement has made F1 way more exciting, with a good number of youngsters (average age for the 4 best spots: 25.5 yrs) fighting for the WDC
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:58 (Ref:1893052)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete
Lots of people were wondering what F1 would be like without MS.
there has been no mention of whatshisname?
didn't you just mention him?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:05 (Ref:1893058)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did anyone forget Senna ? Did anyone forget Gilles ?

Both of them look pale close to TGF records.

Let's be honest, no one will remember JV, that1s for sure.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1893062)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think some people were under the impression that F1 just wouldn't be the same without MS. The reality is that F1 is doing fine and I don't think the fans really miss him. ie. people don't turn on F1 and feel depressed because there's no MS. There are few mentions or comparisons of MS by the media.

That said I have a grudging respect for MS and I think many feel the same way. It would be interesting if something were to cause Ferrari to need a substitute. That said, no one seems to be pinning for such a scenerio. No one is saying "MS could show those Mclarens a thing or two."

There seems to be more fondness for the likes of Mansell and Gilles Vileneuve than MS. In that way, I think JV had a bit of a point.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:10 (Ref:1893066)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well dear Bon , I wouldn't be that sure.. after all, it happens quite regularly to see standings like:

-All time overrated drivers
-Most paid drivers compared to result
-First drivers more often beaten by teammates
Shall we ever forget JV? Doubt so ... eh eh eh
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1893069)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
There seems to be more fondness for the likes of Mansell and Gilles Vileneuve than MS. In that way, I think JV had a bit of a point.

I would agree with you if there's no "history" behind JV declarations, which is not the case. I'm not judging anyone but JV and other past drivers would do more good to support F1 rather than bringing back old stuff.

Oh, and I'm sorry but most of this statements are taken of out of the context, which looks like bitter and harsh... so maybe it's not that bad !

Last edited by Bononi; 16 Apr 2007 at 15:15.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1893075)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Gilles, Ayrton, Ronnie ... champs died in race accidents are obviously missed more than the retired ones, its (right and) down to human nature

About Mansell it's certainly true in England, but if you pose the question in Germany or in Italy, certainly not.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1893083)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think some people were under the impression that F1 just wouldn't be the same without MS. The reality is that F1 is doing fine and I don't think the fans really miss him. ie. people don't turn on F1 and feel depressed because there's no MS. .
Ok, I'll admit it, I miss Schummi. I miss his competativeness, his desire to win, and his incredible ability to put in searing laptimes when he needed them. Nobody this year has come close to his abilities, in my opinion.

Plus, the lack of a "villian" makes for a less interesting story. (albeit an easier job of being a moderator )..
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1893120)   #15
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Plus, the lack of a "villian" makes for a less interesting story. (albeit an easier job of being a moderator )..
Who's going to be the next villian (Sato not included). Kimis attitude isn't endering him to too many at the moment.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1893122)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

The equation is "win at all times"="evil guy"... Who might be then ?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:24 (Ref:1893130)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt anyone will forget MS totally, for whatever reason you care to name!

But do I miss him? Not even remotely. It's a new era, Michael is in the past, bye bye. I expected to find it odd without him, but I honestly haven't thought about him at all, not once.

We have the man who dethroned him in comprehensive fashion still sitting on the grid, we have a truly great benchmark for the others. What is there to miss?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1893133)   #18
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interestingly enough; Lewis Hamilton remembers MS and mentioned him.

From F1 Live:

Lewis Hamilton does not hesitate for long when he is asked to nominate someone who inspired him.

The McLaren rookie said seven time world champion Michael Schumacher 'always gave 100 per cent.'

"I met Michael last year," Hamilton told the newspaper Bild am Sonntag in Bahrain, "and he said something to me that I will never forget.

"I was walking in the paddock in Turkey and he stopped me and said, 'Fantastic race. What you did today was outstanding'."

Schumacher, now 38 and still an 'advisor' for the Ferrari team, was referring to Hamilton's inspirational drive through the field in GP2.

Asked if the German is still a role model, Hamilton answered: "Absolutely.

And not just as a driver."

"He didn't have to say that to me. Other drivers achieved far less than he did but are much more arrogant.

"His ambition and dedication impressed me; before his last ever race he was still testing. He always gave 100 per cent, right up to the last second."
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:32 (Ref:1893141)   #19
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Ryan_Briscoe1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Michael Schumacher
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:35 (Ref:1893144)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, the famous actor that appears in those Fiat ads?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1893161)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

He will influence generations to come into F1.

The 12 year old brazilian kid, go-kart champion, when asked by the TV reporter "Who is your idol ?", whitout hesitating "Michael Schumacher"... The father a little embarassed "I tried to show him how Senna was good, but he prefers the german..."
Old 16 Apr 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1893188)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I feel similar Inigo.

Even now he is gone, it seems some are keen for him to as unfavoured in retirement as they wanted him to be when active. Which says something, as ralf fan expressed!

Whatever F1 isn't the same. I'm not saying better or worse, but undeniably different. Actually better/worse isn't how it works. F1 evolves, people come and go, we have our favourites, some will always be our favourites some more briefly.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 17:31 (Ref:1893197)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Even when my favourites leave, it is more or less forgotten three or four races later.

We always remember the GP winners, of which Michael was one. We will miss some of course in our hearts. But when the first practice starts on Friday, we shouldn't think of the past, we should focus on the current/next generation of greats.

After all nobody, however successful, is bigger than the sport. The sport evolves and people are cast into history or legend.

Having said that, this will all sound ridiculous when Michael announces his comeback sometime next year!
Old 16 Apr 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1893200)   #24
KaiserSose
Rookie

United States
Olympia, WA
KaiserSose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was and am a big Schumacher fan, but I don't miss him. He did his thing and now it's time for everyone else to do theirs. I've enjoyed the races so much this season, that I haven't found myself wishing Schumacher was still racing.

Does JV get up each morning looking for ways to be a huge tool? Forget a 7-time WDC? Sure. That's going to happen. Or not.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 17:56 (Ref:1893214)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was glad to see him retire and haven't missed him one iota. The racing has been much fairer and exciting since his departure.

I think his departure was good for Ferrari and Formula One as a whole. Bring on the next race!