Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Feb 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3208489)   #1
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
McLaren P1™ Hybrid

I do not believe that there is any existing thread about the upcoming new McLaren supercar: the McLaren P1™ Hybrid. There is an interesting article (in french) on E-I about the car.

Looking at the following drawing illustrating the car's hybrid system, don't you agree that the battery pack is HUGE ?

[source: Claude Foubert, Endurance-Info.com]
Old 22 Feb 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3209170)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Latest in Autocar suggests battery pack is under carbon fibre chassis and weighs only 96kg. Car will be able to cover 6 miles on battery alone.

Oh, and combined engine and motor produce 903bhp.......
Old 22 Feb 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3209216)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Under 200g/km too! Fuel is big; petrol tanks are big, batteries are big, coal cars, water tanks, sails, nuclear reactors are big.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3209291)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not sure I would want to be sat in front of that battery pack.

Not that I'll ever get the chance!
Old 22 Feb 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3209294)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah replace it with a flammable liquid instead
Old 23 Feb 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3209523)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hehe.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3209537)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Not sure I would want to be sat in front of that battery pack.
Is it really much more dangerous than sat in front of a fuel cell of similar size? Personally I'd prefer the batteries.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3210265)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
However impressive, I'm sure it'll just be another clinical device rather than a supercar. Nothing built in Woking is likely to possess anything resembling a soul.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3210463)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I disagree, I like every car McLaren has produced. Although the MP4/12C less so, admittedly. The F1 is far from soulless though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Is it really much more dangerous than sat in front of a fuel cell of similar size? Personally I'd prefer the batteries.
Both could be equally unpleasant. But avoid crashing and you should be fine.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3210471)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The McLaren F1 was Gordon Murray's life work, his soul exists in every one.

The MP4/12C is an impressive machine - but its "soul" is a microchip.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3210483)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'm happy that you have ruled the F1 out of this, I'll settle for that.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3210491)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I love the McLaren F1. Possibly the greatest automotive achievement of the modern age and the perfect antidote to the Veyron.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3211900)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I love the McLaren F1. Possibly the greatest automotive achievement of the modern age and the perfect antidote to the Veyron.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3213123)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gather this is a variation of the existing body? Looks quite different until you check out the hard points.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3213710)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
I find all modern supercars as inspiring as the Veyron. They just don't do it for me.

By freak chance, I have seen both the F1 and Veyron on public roads before. An F1 zipped past us on the motorway many years ago and I was trembling with excitement. I left the Royal Albert Hall after a concert a few years back and saw a Veyron waiting at the lights. I was so bored by the sight of it I didn't even mention it to the people I was with.

I find modern Ferrari's utterly boring as well, but the sight of an F40 makes me squeal like a baby.

I think supercars were only really a thrill late 70's to early 90's. They kept getting faster and more outrageous whilst still being slightly primitive in a sense and looked like they were penned by artists in many cases. Nowadays there is really nothing else to do but plonk the biggest engine you can in the most homogenised, styled-by-airflow bodywork possible and hope you get to the 250mph mark like everyone else. What's the point?

I am just old enough to remember the excitement when a car managed to comfortably exceed 200mph as well. 250 is kind of a boring target in comparison.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3213728)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I find all modern supercars as inspiring as the Veyron. They just don't do it for me.
The stand out exception is the Pagani Huayra. Stunning in every way and exactly what a supercar should be.

VAG have ruined Lamborghini. And although I'm a Ferrari fan the 458 doesn't really do it for me. It's almost too good. I love the F12 though.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3213983)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The stand out exception is the Pagani Huayra. Stunning in every way and exactly what a supercar should be.

VAG have ruined Lamborghini. And although I'm a Ferrari fan the 458 doesn't really do it for me. It's almost too good. I love the F12 though.
From my experience of a Countach in the early 80s, trust me there was absolutely nothing VAG could do to wreck it! It was perfectly horrible!
Old 4 Mar 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3214071)   #18
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
The Countach was the ultimate supercar. Loved by real enthusiasts from 9 year old boys with posters of it on their bedroom wall to those lucky enough to own one.

Even to the owners the fact it was a pig to drive, impossible to park and downright silly in almost every respect didn't matter a jot. It was and is insane, like every proper Lambo.

VAG have turned them into reliable boxes, far too sensible, predictable and boring. Even the Aventador is dull compared to a Countach.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3345878)   #19
FxL
Rookie

FxL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this thread doesn't get much attention and is quite old, but perhaps someone can help me: Am I right with the assumption that the P1 has no KERS-like feature? At least it can't recoup energy from the brakes.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3346338)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Forget all the hybrid rubbish... I'd rather spend my $7M on this any day of the week !
Old 20 Dec 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3346373)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML View Post
I know this thread doesn't get much attention and is quite old, but perhaps someone can help me: Am I right with the assumption that the P1 has no KERS-like feature? At least it can't recoup energy from the brakes.
I have no idea... I haven't seen any American media outlet get a hold of one other than a quick test drive, so I haven't seen any technical data written about it. Looking forward to a deluge of 918, P1, and Ferrari La Ferrari The Ferrari comparison. These cars remind me of the 959/F40 "battles".
Old 25 Dec 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3347859)   #22
JoshM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancashire, England
JoshM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I have no idea... I haven't seen any American media outlet get a hold of one other than a quick test drive, so I haven't seen any technical data written about it. Looking forward to a deluge of 918, P1, and Ferrari La Ferrari The Ferrari comparison. These cars remind me of the 959/F40 "battles".
I agree, still competing to create a car that sets the fastest records, uses the most up to date technology whilst keeping these cars road worthy. As a young lad i wasn't brought up with the F40 and 959 but still admire the beauty and technology and inspiration that was put into making those two landmarks, but these cars are the future and being humans we find it hard to adjust to change but between now and the next 5-10 years its going to be a big change in performance delivery and what actually goes into making these cars so magnificent when in there natural homes. I think alot of the older more experienced drivers wont appreciate these cars as much as us more inexperienced drivers not only because of this but we will be able to control these cars to a certain level but we will never be able to control these cars as well as a more experienced driver who translates there experience and adapts to these new cars, with the way the power is delivered instantly and handling corners at speeds other/older cars cant.

To be honest if I was brought up on carbs and throttle bodies roaring in 2.0 litres, electronic and multi point injection being the next biggest thing in the car industry and how Aryton Senna's Honda powered V6 Mclaren absolutely tore tracks up 'damaging the atmosphere ozone layer' then i would probably have the same head on me, not really bothered about the how this performance is delivered with the help of electricity and how these cars are designed using computers and not really pure beauty created by man and paper designing a perfect car piece that deserves to be in a museum like the F40 but these cars are designed for one thing, being the fastest thing to grace the tarmac at tracks whilst obeying these laws that we have to stick too!! They are still masterpieces that keep on getting better and if they prolong us from being forced to drive round in fully electric cars then im all for it.