Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Jul 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2245016)   #26
Nicholas T
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
Nicholas T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Terrryobeirn

Thanks for that; I will update the gearbox info. I didn’t get John Smith to proof read the article before it went up.

It’s great to find someone that knows about the cars.

The GPA throttle body I got from John had a hole drilled in the flap; don’t know if this was a poor form of idle control? Apart from that, yes is was the same casting as the turbo A road car.

How do you know so much about the GPA Supra, did you have involvement with the race team back then?

Regards Nicholas
Old 9 Dec 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2351338)   #27
group a supra
Rookie

group a supra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just found this site and thread guys i actualy have 2 full group a engines and racetech management systems one of the engines is from the remaining car you have been looking for any info i wil l try and help i also have one of the gear boxes and aload of suspension so shout up will do my best
steve
Old 12 Dec 2008, 10:44 (Ref:2353357)   #28
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
We mentioned early in the thread that the Bemani cars still seem to have been active in Switzerland well into the early 90's at least- This is the European Hillclimb Championship at St Ursanne in 1992...

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimag...iers920007.jpg

That looks very much like a second Supra lined up behind car #374 in this shot.....
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimag...IERS920021.jpg
Old 16 Dec 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2355899)   #29
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes, I remember those cars had a very simple yet attractive livery - looks like they kept them for a long time!!!
Old 19 Dec 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2358588)   #30
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
terryobeirne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've written to Bemani and never got a reply. I'd be surprised if they were scrapped given they expensive parts used in them, and hopefully they are lurking somewhere in Europe. it seems like it will be a real mssion to find one of them

Last edited by chunterer; 20 Dec 2008 at 11:52.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2371880)   #31
group a supra
Rookie

for those interested i am able to reproduce all the suspension and chassis componets used in these cars now as i have found zee drawings
Old 15 Jan 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2371884)   #32
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryobeirne
I've written to Bemani and never got a reply. I'd be surprised if they were scrapped given they expensive parts used in them, and hopefully they are lurking somewhere in Europe. it seems like it will be a real mssion to find one of them
Given that Bemani still seem to have been running them into the early/mid-90's, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still around...
Old 20 Jan 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2375153)   #33
group a supra
Rookie

the 2 south african supra group a rallye cars have both come up for dale on a slight different note
Old 29 Jan 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2381950)   #34
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
do you mean "up for sale"????. pm me with some info please
Old 6 Jul 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2496680)   #35
supra300
Rookie

supra300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greetings children, an excellent forum.
You do not have information what suspender was applied by cars
Old 10 Jul 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2498961)   #36
KA
Veteran

The things you trip over on the web by accident... A wonderful Tony Matthews cut-away illustration of the TOM'S Supra...

http://www.khulsey.com/tm_supra_team...jitsu-ten.html
Old 16 Aug 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2522206)   #37
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
the drivers names suggest its from Spa 24hr. anyone confirm this??>
I'm still trying to find the Bermani cars, not closer, no replies. Amazing really that no-one knows of them .
Old 16 Aug 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2522290)   #38
KA
Veteran

Definitely Spa- 1990. 3 Supras, car 36, Matsuda/Kurosawa/Dowsett, car 37, Hoshino/Suzuki/Tachi, car 38 Misaki/Kasuya/Verellen

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...990%20Spa.html
Old 12 Sep 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2538951)   #39
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
i have communicated with a guy in Switzerland who indicates at least 2 of them survive in europe. back onto the trail.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2576317)   #40
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryobeirne View Post
I have coresponded with Hugh Marshall who drove one of the Thundersaloon Supras. he says both of them were built by Specfab, so neither may be ex works cars. The other (Cosworth powered) car was driven by Chris Hodgetts. The shell of one of them may survive.
anyone else have any more info yet??
There's an interesting Thundersaloon thread running on the Autosport forum, on which Simon Lewis has posted these shots of the ex-MIL Hugh Marshall Thundersaloon
http://www.simonlewis.com/images/ph-...a-BH120493.JPG
http://www.simonlewis.com/images/ph-...l-BH120493.JPG
Old 15 Nov 2009, 06:52 (Ref:2582175)   #41
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
i cant find those pics on autosport forum. if you have a link, I'd appreciate it
Old 15 Nov 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2582219)   #42
KA
Veteran

Quote:
i cant find those pics on autosport forum. if you have a link, I'd appreciate it
Hi Terry- there's a thread titled 'British Thundersaloons' -the Supra pics are three or four pages in, and there have been a couple more posted since- I'll PM you a link
Old 28 Feb 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2641969)   #43
simon mathews
Rookie

simon mathews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Missing Supra

Quote:
I have recentley been looking on this forum following the Mil Motorsport Supra story. I was involved in the running of one of the pair of Supras in Thundersaloons. The one owned and driven by Simon Pearson and Hugh Marshall.....Interested????
Old 28 Feb 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2642018)   #44
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure am! I've got quite an interest in the Thundersaloons, so am always keen to hear from people involved with the cars.

Was it the car that Chris Hodgetts ran with an RS500 engine in, or the Cordy / Panter car? (or were those two the same?)
Old 2 Mar 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2643656)   #45
simon mathews
Rookie

simon mathews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
Sure am! I've got quite an interest in the Thundersaloons, so am always keen to hear from people involved with the cars.

Was it the car that Chris Hodgetts ran with an RS500 engine in, or the Cordy / Panter car? (or were those two the same?)
Hello, the car featured in the Simon Lewis photos is the Simon Pearson/Hugh Marshall car run on a shoestring budget in Thundersaloons from approximately 1991-1995. Simon purchased the ex-Cordy car, which had been run with a Cosworth BDT engine. We fitted it with the Vanderley built ex stars and stripes Manta engine, from memory the engine was 406 cubic inch with around 600 bhp and fitted to 6 speed Quaiffe gearbox. The sister car was the Chris Hodgetts/Nick Whale car with the RS 500 engine. This car was run by Specfab who originally built both cars for Toyota's assault on the group A series in England. The cars used several drivers in the first season of Group A, including we think, Hodgetts, Mark Hales Ian Flux and Vic Lee. I have a video of the BBC highlights of this season showing both cars in several rounds. Although off the pace of the Sierra's they were mixing it with the M3 BMW's and were qualifying around 10th. The Simon Pearson/Hugh Marshall car was also driven by Tim Lee-Davey, Val Mussetti and Don Manly at various times. The car was last run in 1995 and Simon Pearson sold the engine and gearbox over the next few years and I am now the owner of the rolling shell and spares such as they are. The car is complete, apart from the engine/box and apart from the modified rear arches and 'cossie' wing, is as it would have raced in Group A.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2643852)   #46
KA
Veteran

Great stuff Simon- I remember the cars in the BTCC and to a lesser extent in Thundersaloons, where I know I saw them a couple of times, but couldn't remember who drove them and where

Your history of the cars when they were run by MIL in Group A is spot on- Two cars, the first driven by Chris Hodgetts, then taken over by Mark Hales when Chris parted company with the project mid-season. Ian Flux stood in for Hales at a couple of late-season rounds, Brands and the Silverstone finale.

The second car was for Vic Lee and first appeared at Round 5, Thruxton, until Round 10, Brands. Lee actually raced both cars, sharing the other car with Hodgetts at the Donington 1-hour race
IIRC, before Lee was confirmed for the drive, there was some speculation about who would be in the 2nd car, several other drivers were rumoured to be the the frame- think there might even have been talk in the press of Juha Kankkunen having a guest outing in it at some point! Think there were also rumours of a third car which never came to pass

Do you know which chassis yours originally was, the No1 (Hodgetts/Hales/Flux) etc car, or the No2 (Lee)?

The other, slightly more mysterious part of the story is that one of the cars appears to have had a brief career as a rally car- Regular Corolla pilot Graham Middleton turned up with a red Group A Supra Turbo on the 1988 Manx International, and the car was described in the reports at the time as being one of the MIL cars hastily converted for tarmac rallying- from the couple of pics I've seen, it certainly looked like one. Don't suppose there's a sumpguard and a set of rally-spec suspension amongst those spares....?
Old 5 Mar 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2645770)   #47
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
this is what Hugh Marshall told me about 2 years ago . I alsocorresponded with Dave Lampitt, who I recall confirmed the basis of the message from Hugh....

[I]" There were two later cars built by Dave Lampitt’s Specfab in Pershore Worcestershire. These both raced in Thundersaloons in the early 1990s. One was powered by a Ford Cosworth Turbo and was driven by Chris Hodgetts who drove the works Corollas in 1986/1987. It only appeared a couple of times. I drove the other late model Supra powered by a Vanderly (Biloxi Mississippi, USA) built 6.7 litre small block Pontiac from my previous car The Stars and Stripes Opel Manta Pontiac in 1991/1992 also in Thundersaloons.

The car was bought from Colin Cordy (who worked for Williams) who had used it in Thundersaloons I believe. The car was inordinately heavy and we had no money to develop it or set it up for radials as Specfab had done to their Cossie powered car. We did chop the shell about to try and lighten it and get some different geometry on it and it had some wheel arch extensions put on the rear to take some bigger rubber[/I
Old 24 Apr 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2679027)   #48
KA
Veteran

Graham Middleton's attempt to use one of the MIL Motorsport BTCC Supras as a tarmac rallycar on the 1988 Manx International has been mentioned a couple of times in the thread, but I've finally tracked down the relevant issue of Autosport

From their Manx Rally report, in the issue for 22/9/88

'Securicor, Shell Oils & Dunlop backed the striking red Toyota Supra of Graham Middleton, bringing Toyota GB's name back into British motorsport with a vengenance. The MIL Motorsport-run car was one of their pair of circuit racing Supras, and even with extensive modifications, was boasting well over the imaginary 300bhp power limit in Group A, something around 340bhp being quoted. Suspension had come from TTE at Cologne, and with spring rates around 1200lbs at the front, 800lbs at the rear, the car would undoubtedly be somewhat firm! It was heavy also, figures of around 1500kg being mentioned, but most agreed it was good to see something a little different on the island'

and
'The biggest car on the rally was surely Graham Middleton's big red Toyota Supra, the striking car also being one of the most powerful on the island. It was a handful, the super stiff suspension making it very bouncy at the back and causing heart failure after every landing, but as lunchtime approached, the car was still going and had lasted longer than the sceptics would have believed.
However, early promise was not turned into long-term success, and spectators at Abbeylands crossroads were to witness the last moments of the car's rally. The sound of distant scraping heralded the car's approach, the rear offside corner dragging on the ground as the suspension had failed. Stronger hubs had been built up, but the locating pins had now proved the weak point, and retiement was the only sensible option once the car reached the TT Grandstand at the end of the first loop of stages.'

Middleton completed 8 stages before retiring. Co-driver was Paul Watkins, who I think was his regular codriver at the time- Graham's usual rally mount being a white Group A AE86.

There's a pic of the Supra in the report, which shows the car is still in MIL's red BTCC livery with the usual large Shell logos on the doors, plus the addition of sponsorship from 'Securicor Communications'. It looks every inch the BTCC car it was, right down to the use of what look like the same single-stud 5-spoke wheels normally used on race duty, and it still appears to have the onboard airjacks fitted

Middleton was at no14 on the entry list, and the car carried the registration 'D331FUV' for the occasion.

Last edited by KA; 24 Apr 2010 at 16:24.
Old 10 May 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2688171)   #49
hazee
Rookie

hazee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon mathews View Post
Hello, the car featured in the Simon Lewis photos is the Simon Pearson/Hugh Marshall car run on a shoestring budget in Thundersaloons from approximately 1991-1995. Simon purchased the ex-Cordy car, which had been run with a Cosworth BDT engine. We fitted it with the Vanderley built ex stars and stripes Manta engine, from memory the engine was 406 cubic inch with around 600 bhp and fitted to 6 speed Quaiffe gearbox. The sister car was the Chris Hodgetts/Nick Whale car with the RS 500 engine. This car was run by Specfab who originally built both cars for Toyota's assault on the group A series in England. The cars used several drivers in the first season of Group A, including we think, Hodgetts, Mark Hales Ian Flux and Vic Lee. I have a video of the BBC highlights of this season showing both cars in several rounds. Although off the pace of the Sierra's they were mixing it with the M3 BMW's and were qualifying around 10th. The Simon Pearson/Hugh Marshall car was also driven by Tim Lee-Davey, Val Mussetti and Don Manly at various times. The car was last run in 1995 and Simon Pearson sold the engine and gearbox over the next few years and I am now the owner of the rolling shell and spares such as they are. The car is complete, apart from the engine/box and apart from the modified rear arches and 'cossie' wing, is as it would have raced in Group A.

hello,

were you at brand hatch a the cscc series this weekend talking about this car.?
that you have recently bought the shell?

Last edited by hazee; 10 May 2010 at 19:45.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2796141)   #50
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Graham Middleton's attempt to use one of the MIL Motorsport BTCC Supras as a tarmac rallycar on the 1988 Manx International has been mentioned a couple of times in the thread.....
Finally found a pic of this online- can't link to the individual pic, just the 1988 Manx album on www.rallypics.org

3rd thumbnail down on the right-hand side on this link:

http://www.rallypics.org/manx88_1.htm

I'd love to know the story behind this..... Bearing in mind the problems MIL were having in making the car work on the circuits, taking time out to run a one-off rally entry seems an odd course of action- especially as the Manx meant taking on tougher-than-usual opposition for a UK event, with a number of top-class Cosworth/M3/Integrale-equipped European visitors in at the head of the entry list. Did the impetus for this come from the team, Middleton, a sponsor or Toyota- and why....?

Last edited by KA; 26 Nov 2010 at 16:45.