Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:54 (Ref:1109367)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abandoned/dis-used tracks

Just talking about Matchams in another thread, got me thinking about how many abandoned and dis-used tracks there are around and about. In my area the two tracks closed down last winter - Forest Edge is as far as I know still a part of the Qinetic (b*stards they are - they stop letting Motorsport happen as an activity on their land 'cos its dangerous and then start to sponsor a Le Mans team..) complex on Avon heath, and just over the hill Matchams Kart track has closed after insurance became too high (10k for a year apparently), altho the track is still there tree roots and all. The moto-x and banger tracks also still in operation, altho I hear the owners want to build houses on the site if they can get planning so are attempting to run it down.

So any other gems sitting sorry and dis-used near you? There was a track down at St Day in Cornwall that my great uncle was succesful on in the 1960's but sadly thats been long gone also.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 15:07 (Ref:1109455)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Langbaugh (sp) near Middleborough was a mega track now its just used for corporate and fun karting.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1109487)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah I remember that one in MN one time - partly funded by the council was'nt it? had big plans to include f3 etc
Old 29 Sep 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1110125)   #4
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forest Edge has deffently not shut, its just moved to a differnt location (barton stacy, I think) the new track is very nice i think, as it has a mixture of a LONG straight a couple of slow corner two double apex right hander's and a tricky chicane section... once this years super1 has finished were gonna be doing winter testing at forest edge, in ready for next years super1.

And as for matchem's that is a right shame that it has shut down i have only been there once before for a race and i can say that it was brilliantly run and the people were extremly friendly (we were in pro-karts at the time, and the other pro-karts let us use all the there stuff and helped us out a ton) it's a shame that, it has shut down as we were planing a return there later this year in our TKM 4/'s
Old 29 Sep 2004, 10:39 (Ref:1110173)   #5
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to love racing at Langaugh, had some excellent racing and wins there.... shame it was lost...

There's a track in Rochester (kent) that never really got going, was a good circuit too.

I also remember a track in Serberton, it was right in the middle of a housing estate.

Is the kart track at Snetterton still there? I seem to recall it shutting down..

Steve McQueen
Old 29 Sep 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1110186)   #6
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm certainly not aware of there being one at Snetterton now. So guess thats gone, heard it was pretty dangerous somewhere
Old 29 Sep 2004, 11:38 (Ref:1110217)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by #15 tkm 4/
Forest Edge has deffently not shut, its just moved to a differnt location (barton stacy, I think) the new track is very nice i think, as it has a mixture of a LONG straight a couple of slow corner two double apex right hander's and a tricky chicane section... once this years super1 has finished were gonna be doing winter testing at forest edge, in ready for next years super1.

And as for matchem's that is a right shame that it has shut down i have only been there once before for a race and i can say that it was brilliantly run and the people were extremly friendly (we were in pro-karts at the time, and the other pro-karts let us use all the there stuff and helped us out a ton) it's a shame that, it has shut down as we were planing a return there later this year in our TKM 4/'s
I know, I race at the new track, its cool! Matchams was great tho - the track was awfully bumpy but everyone was so helpful, great place to start.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1110559)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

We are having a little discussion on getting slung out of ex-MoD tracks here if you all are interested.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...58#post1110558

Grass roots motorsports rules!
Old 29 Sep 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1110585)   #9
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two tracks from the midlands which have closed recently are; Chasewater at Cannock Chase, and Donnington Park's own kart circuit.

Chasewater was yonks old, and closed because of the building of the Lichfield bypass (I think it was that) however the circuit still stands.

Donnington Park's kart track was opened just beyond Redgate's (1st corner of car track) gravel trap. However it was only open for a month, because the track owners gave up on it cr*p eh? Tis for me - I only live 4miles away...

Last edited by Alex Hodgkinson; 29 Sep 2004 at 18:30.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1110595)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Ive got Chasewater in a karting book from the mid 60's and it was well established then! Didnt know there was one at Donington - maybe they should convert the old loop that was part of the original circuit. I recall a team I worked for taking a Group A Sierra Cosworth down there to systems test it and it getting very squirrelly over the top bit! Imagine karting there....

Last edited by ghinzani; 29 Sep 2004 at 18:49.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 19:14 (Ref:1110602)   #11
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Yeah, Chasewater was a fantastic little (emphasis there!) track. It also was where Nigel Mansell first raced. The lap record was something stupid like 21 seconds, but it had a beautiful fast, flowing, undulating far end section which I just loved!

Yeah they should really establish a kart circuit at Donington park, it really would be excellent, seeing as there are so many karters from the midlands and my nearest circuit now is Fulbeck, which is 45 miles away!

I would LOVE to fly up and down the old loop. I'd be really great to have a kart track there. Especially if the start was up the hill... Jesus that'd be steep
Old 1 Oct 2004, 21:47 (Ref:1112838)   #12
Nigel Wilson
Rookie

England
Washington
Nigel Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Felton in Northumberland closed many years ago but is still there if a little overgrown. Langbaugh in Middlesborough is still in use and has had a recent extension and now hosts car driving tuition and track days.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1112861)   #13
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't there now a Sunday market behind Redgate at Donington? Is that where the track used to be? Was there last Sunday when i went to see the BTCC and just saw some rough concrete where a market normally is
Old 2 Oct 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1113174)   #14
Superliner II
Rookie

Superliner II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Hodgkinson
Yeah, Chasewater was a fantastic little (emphasis there!) track. It also was where Nigel Mansell first raced. The lap record was something stupid like 21 seconds, but it had a beautiful fast, flowing, undulating far end section which I just loved!

Yeah they should really establish a kart circuit at Donington park, it really would be excellent, seeing as there are so many karters from the midlands and my nearest circuit now is Fulbeck, which is 45 miles away!

I would LOVE to fly up and down the old loop. I'd be really great to have a kart track there. Especially if the start was up the hill... Jesus that'd be steep
Karts do go around Donington. Mainly long circuit 125 and 250 gearbox karts. They are having a day soon for Karts. Contact the track for details. The British Superkart Association is involved in organising it.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1113415)   #15
Karting_jenny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Letchworth, Hertfordshire
Karting_jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is Nuthampstead(sp?)

Which was closed down long ago. Dunno what is happening in the area now.

jenny
Old 2 Oct 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1113427)   #16
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally posted by Superliner II
Karts do go around Donington. Mainly long circuit 125 and 250 gearbox karts. They are having a day soon for Karts. Contact the track for details. The British Superkart Association is involved in organising it.
Will that include most types of karts? Like the Junior classes of Rotax's etc.?
Old 2 Oct 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1113489)   #17
Superliner II
Rookie

Superliner II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rotax senior used to be allowed out on the track but only on the Melborne loop thats behind the paddock, not on the rest of the track which was only for the gearbox karts. I'm not sure if Rotax is still included. Last I heard, take up on the idea from direct drive kart owners was poor so they are not allowed anymore.

A man who will know is Clive Freke at Century Race Preparation. He goes there every time its on with his son. Tel: 01562 632032
Old 2 Oct 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1113559)   #18
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
lol yea I know I'm running James Rolley's (maybe you know him?) ex-125 kart now. He raced long circuit national champs. Think I'll be going to the kart day at the long circuit.

However, what I actually meant to begin with was that I wish that there was a purpose-built kart circuit on the location.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1115696)   #19
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think mainly the only kart's which are allowed to race on 'long circuit's' i.e. donnington, knockhill, brands etc.... are Rotax Max (snr only) RM1 (that gearbox max thingy mijgy :P)all 250 class's and i also think some 125 gearbox's race there..

SOme picture's of the type of karts which race there.....

picture! picture

Last edited by #15 tkm 4/; 5 Oct 2004 at 10:17.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1115839)   #20
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The very first kart race in Britain was on the start finish straight at Brands Hatch in November 1959. I just found it in an old Autosport. No one knows who won because Graham Hill decided to cause chaos on the first lap and confuse everyone by nipping through the straw bails.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1116056)   #21
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
http://www.superkart.org.uk/

Is the homepage for all the long circuit karting in this country.

lol thanks for that Mackmot, but that must be the 1st msa event or something, because there was tonnes of karting in the 40's & 50's on airbases (remember, that's how it originated)
Old 5 Oct 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1116237)   #22
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First event in Britain was at Barkston Heath in 1958.
Check your "Start Karting" video from the MSA pack.

Not any disused kart tracks in Scotland AFAIK, as the only 2 ex-MSA tracks (Stranraer and Raceland) are now running unofficial races and corporate prokarting respectively. Nearest disused MSA track would probably be somewhere in the north of England, possibly Leeming or Felton.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 5 Oct 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1116332)   #23
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/competitors/dates.asp

^^ found out about the Donnington Park track day here. Unfortunatly for me it's next thursday, two days prior to my next meeting, and on a school day
Old 5 Oct 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1116356)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What championships and tracks do you race in Alex?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1116385)   #25
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Hey Luke

Copied from another topic:

Whats your class? Formula A/Super ICC
Chassis? Swiss Hutless/Gold
Championship? Various Club Champs, including PFI, Fulbeck as well as some S1. Also, Strubby (unofficial)