Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Nov 2007, 00:36 (Ref:2076159)   #1
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Racetracks in NSW ???

Victoria getting another new circuit at Avalon to add to the plethora of awesome tracks that they already have down there, Queensland in the process of developing a new track outside Brisbane, Lakeside back on track with new lease in place and Townsville getting the big go-ahead in recent weeks.

The East Coast of Australia from a motorsport perspective is pumping! Why is it, that only Queensland and Victoria are developing facilities to accommodate it? Seriously… have a think about NSW and what we currently have;

Oran Park is closing down. Tony Perich has publicly declared that he has no intentions whatsoever to build another track after speculation and rumours about tracks in Wilton a few other places… it isn’t happening!

Eastern Creek… Great drivers track, stupid design for spectators and run by a dictatorship that isn’t friendly to anyone other than A1GP and AVESCO.

Wakefield Park… Great little track in need of some better facilities. Track re-surface taking place December 10th which should attract a few other people to want to race there.

What else is there? Yes I know we have got Bathurst but unless you are playing within the AVESCO circles or you want to fork out $4000 for a two day glorified track day, who how many opportunities is there for the average punter classes of motorsport to race there?

With Oran Park closing, that is going to mean that by the end of 2009 we are going to have either Eastern Creek or Wakefield Park. Considering that both of these tracks are near booked out for the next two years (I know this first hand) why aren’t the governing bodies of Australian motorsport doing something about it.

Eastern Creek is near $10,000 a day to hire including insurances. Wakefield Park’s prices are going up next year and it will be near $6000 a day to hire that out for the day. Even taking an average including the current $5800 a day for the GP Circuit at Oran Park that’s $7266 a day AND THESE PLACES ARE BOOKED OUT MONTHS AND YEARS IN ADVANCE!!!

NSW needs another track and considering the current money being commanded from current tracks… proposing as such would be more than financially viable for anyone.

Why isn’t someone doing something about this?

Go the Datto!!!
Old 27 Nov 2007, 01:40 (Ref:2076184)   #2
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt hold my breathe waiting for the track in QLD (south of Bris)! residential development in that area is going to put it in the same position as Darlington Park
Old 27 Nov 2007, 02:03 (Ref:2076191)   #3
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler
Wakefield Park… Great little track in need of some better facilities. Track re-surface taking place December 10th which should attract a few other people to want to race there.

.............. Why isn’t someone doing something about this?
Just on a $1 Million dollar resurfacing program at Wakefield only 11 months after taking ownership shows a strong commitment to development their. There will be significant infrastructure developments in future years that will give NSW motor racing a kick along.

The Vic circuit is a study produced by CAMS consultants. They did they same study that was a lot more developed three years ago with Ballarat but it all relies on Government funding. There will definitely be no Government funding while the GP resides in Melbourne. The Gov has made it very clear that they spend bucket loads on motor sport already.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 02:19 (Ref:2076198)   #4
thetormentor
Racer

Australia
Central Coast NSW
thetormentor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NSW tracks

There is a racetrack on the NSW Central Coast. If only it were open to the public......
Old 27 Nov 2007, 02:35 (Ref:2076209)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was thinking this only the other day, and i hope there is something in the pipeline to kick the racing in NSW along and good for spectators and drivers alike.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 03:21 (Ref:2076228)   #6
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try putting in a Development Application for-say-a carport in some Councils in NSW and you'll see why.You'd never see a new circuit built east of the Darling River in your lifetime if you complied with all the requirements.A consortium has one rapidly closing window of opportunity-get a deal to retain and integrate Oran Park with future developments.Or else you'll end up being a gravel trap and concrete fence farmer trying to make enough money from club events to pay all the bills/loans/insurance.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 07:50 (Ref:2076285)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like the race track business isn't a bad one to be in. Lease it out everyday for 30 years and then sell out for big bucks to house builders.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 11:07 (Ref:2076370)   #8
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Peddler]Victoria getting another new circuit at Avalon to add to the plethora of awesome tracks that they already have down there, Queensland in the process of developing a new track outside Brisbane, Lakeside back on track with new lease in place and Townsville getting the big go-ahead in recent weeks.

The East Coast of Australia from a motorsport perspective is pumping! Why is it, that only Queensland and Victoria are developing facilities to accommodate it? Seriously… have a think about NSW and what we currently have;

Sydney has always been abit funny, but did have some great tracks years ago. It's a culture thing in sunny Sydney, don't no why?

As for tracks being built, and reopened, Well, a bit of clafrification wouldn't go astray.

Qld - North Queensland - Worthwhile investment.

Qld - South - QR - !!!!!!
- Lakeside restricted to the max (unfourtuneatley)
- THe new motorsport Park( Stapylton) buying the cane farms and getting approval , Vs Developers

NSW - Eastern Creek one line racing -dull

Waklefield - good setup just a bit far for the punters to get to

Vic - Winton - day trip to the country

- Calder had potential, Just Bob likes to agree to disagree
- Sandown- more value as housing than any type of horse power

Avalon, ideal, as flight paths stop housing so you can go racing

PI - still a awesome track

Aus tracks are still it bit behind, single file racing is boring.

but lets keep building tracks, hell why not reopen Huem Weir circuit

Last edited by fomoco; 27 Nov 2007 at 11:15.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 11:32 (Ref:2076379)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohhhh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke
Just on a $1 Million dollar resurfacing program at Wakefield only 11 months after taking ownership shows a strong commitment to development their. There will be significant infrastructure developments in future years that will give NSW motor racing a kick along.
So...when will the "significant infrastructure developments" be outlined
Old 27 Nov 2007, 11:48 (Ref:2076386)   #10
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and little Broadford does COTY

Last edited by I16; 27 Nov 2007 at 11:51.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 12:22 (Ref:2076400)   #11
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
So...when will the "significant infrastructure developments" be outlined
Good question

Go the Datto!!!
Old 27 Nov 2007, 12:32 (Ref:2076407)   #12
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetormentor
There is a racetrack on the NSW Central Coast. If only it were open to the public......
What's the name of the track? Where exactly on the Central Coast is it?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 27 Nov 2007, 21:34 (Ref:2076821)   #13
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
What's the name of the track? Where exactly on the Central Coast is it?
It is privately owned and is in the Mangrove Mountain / Kulnura area.

See this thread
Old 27 Nov 2007, 22:24 (Ref:2076860)   #14
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tony Perich has publicly declared that he has no intentions whatsoever to build another track after speculation and rumours about tracks in Wilton a few other places… it isn’t happening!
When did this happen?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 00:44 (Ref:2076949)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=fomoco]
Quote:
Qld - North Queensland - Worthwhile investment.

Qld - South - QR - !!!!!!
- Lakeside restricted to the max (unfourtuneatley)
- THe new motorsport Park( Stapylton) buying the cane farms and getting approval , Vs Developers
QR
Indy
Lakeside
Morgan Park- a fantastic little state championship circuit, always improving
Carnell Park- more geared for club sprints and short circuit
Mount Cotton- best hillclimb in the country
Speed on Tweed, Leyburn, Pittsworth, Gatton, Maryborough etc, lots of street sprints

Then there is the track Tony Slattery is designing
The track that the HRCC want to build
A possible pie in the sky on the Sunshine Coast
The thing at Yatala
... surely one of them will get off the ground!

I don't exactly think there is a shortage of places to compete at!
Old 28 Nov 2007, 01:54 (Ref:2076992)   #16
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
why not reopen Huem Weir circuit
Unfortunately when the weir had a major structural issue a few years ago they buried most of the track to stabilise the weir so effectively the track is gorne

Notice I didn't pick on your speeling of Hume
Old 28 Nov 2007, 02:14 (Ref:2076994)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I only live about 15 minutes from the Hume Wier track , I should run out there on the weekend and take some pictures.

Last time I was out there (last summer when we actually had some water in the dam) the whole circuit was fenced off and there was council earthmoving equipment parked in there like a depot.

and a house half way along one of the straights that im not sure if it was there before or not ??

either way there is no chance in hell of that track ever opening up again
Old 28 Nov 2007, 02:53 (Ref:2077008)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fail to see if there'll be many new facilities come to life in the foreseeable future, especially in NSW. The interest just isn't there (i'm talking national/international standard track, not club circuits) to make much money back (as no one goes to anything but V8 races) for all the effort that is required to go in to building a new facility
Old 28 Nov 2007, 04:01 (Ref:2077024)   #19
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
I fail to see if there'll be many new facilities come to life in the foreseeable future, especially in NSW. The interest just isn't there (i'm talking national/international standard track, not club circuits) to make much money back (as no one goes to anything but V8 races) for all the effort that is required to go in to building a new facility
I am afraid i dont agree... i think that if there was further development of facilities that could accomodate national and international motorsport related events that interest would be generated and promoters would be jumping to use the facilities.

NSW Motorsport is in the position that it is in, not becuase of the lack of Gov funding but because of the lack of and nature of the facilities we have!

Eastern Creek is owned by the NSW State Gov and run by a group of "old school" fuddy duddies who have a lease of the place for the next 20 years.

Oran Park has showcased V8Supercars and other major events since the started and is now closing down.

Wakefield (yes i know you have plans for it Mr Ronke) still is a bit of a hike and really as still is a short circuit layout that can only accomodate motorpsort to a certain extent.

Sydney is an international city and needs facilities to cater for international motorsports... build it and they will want to use it. All you need to do, is look at the booking process and the costs as well as the availabilities for 2008 for the tracks we have got and you will see where i am coming from.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 28 Nov 2007, 04:57 (Ref:2077033)   #20
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
The circuits do not rely on V8's to make money.The reality is that the inflated views the V8 ego's have of the value of their appearance means the tracks only consider that a bonus if they can actually make money with them. Circuits viability is it's bread and butter day to day activity-- and some race meetings.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 05:28 (Ref:2077039)   #21
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was talk in the local paper here recently of a new track to be constructed here in Mildura near the current Drag Strip.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 05:50 (Ref:2077044)   #22
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
That would be great location- good climate ,local accommadation etc and well placed between 3 states to draw competitors. Can you elaborate?
Old 28 Nov 2007, 07:12 (Ref:2077059)   #23
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Mildura = on the border of VIC and NSW but closer to the CBD of Adelaide in South Australia

OR

No where near Sydney and to far from anywhere

Go the Datto!!!
Old 28 Nov 2007, 08:53 (Ref:2077100)   #24
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we're getting negative and going nowhere can I bring out another hobby horse-- A circuit in hilly country at high(for Australia) altitude on land of a special status--that is State Government land away from residential areas completely OR Council land in a "friendly" Local Government area. My ideal would be a NSW,VIC or TAS alpine area using mainly existing road reserves for October thru April events.Would have to attract funding as REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT and efficiencies achieveable in the Rural sector away from the extreme money grubbing and political correctness of the capital cities.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 08:57 (Ref:2077101)   #25
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
It is of course correct.Interesting point-- New Zealand has a race circuit for every 250,000 odd people, so does Tasmania , South Australia about 500,
Queenland about 1,000,000 as does Victoria. NSW is what -soon to be 1 track per 2,500,000 . I like the NZ model!