Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 Dec 2007, 02:31 (Ref:2093629)   #1
BuggyGuy
Rookie

BuggyGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track Design

Hey All,

I came across this forum while browsing for track designers and thought id drop in.

I am starting an off road karting track and obviously i need to get a track designed, i was wondering if anyone here would be interested in maybe coming up with some designs for me?

If so could you drop me a PM, or just reply id appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 22 Dec 2007, 21:22 (Ref:2093907)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow, building actual physical tracks seems to be the trend

Welcome to the forum BuggyGuy

hmm, dirt tracks are a bit different from my usual road course type deelys, but i will give it a go...

SOme questions -

-Is the the land flat? If not, do you have any photos of the land for height differences ect..?
-What sort of dirt track? With jumps (Motocross Style) or just flat, or mabey just an oval??
-How many surfaces? A rallycross style tarmac and dirt, or just dirt?
-How long should the track be, and how wide would it be also?

sounds interesting, I will throw something up!
Old 22 Dec 2007, 21:26 (Ref:2093908)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What shape is the area, as well? I'll try to cook something up
Old 22 Dec 2007, 23:17 (Ref:2093938)   #4
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooh, yes, i've been doodling some kart tracks recently.
We need some plans etc so we can get an idea of the space we have to play with.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 23:47 (Ref:2093947)   #5
BuggyGuy
Rookie

Hey,

Thanks for the replies, much better than i hoped, i thought they would be something along the lines of "get lost, pay someone to design something for you" but this is much nicer.

Here are 3 examples of off road kart tracks:
http://www.cavr.pt/images/pista%20murca1.JPG
http://www.cal.pt/foto_circuito.jpg
http://www.fcac.edouro.com/web/pista.asp

The last track listed above, almost flat ground, dug down to make a flat track is the type of thing we are aiming for. This uses only a dirt surface.

We will be purchasing land that measures about 8 acres for this project, however this must include space for some parking and tiny space for our office, in order to reduce costs we will be using shipping container offices e.g. http://www.mrbox.co.uk/siteaccommodation.html (should be interesting)

We havent purchased the land yet, however if you would be able to assume 2 different parcels of land rectangular and square this way it should cover most of the places we purchase.

The track should hopefully be no less than 1km (more the better), and 15m wide. We are looking for a challenging track but dont make it hairpin turn after hairpin turn (if possible)

This will be a fun project for us never having done anything like this, we cant be bothered to pay anyone to construct it since its only dirt, so we will be using 1 digger and shovels (its gonna take us ages!).

I really appreciate the help, and if we base our track on any of the designs you guys come up with you will definitely get the credit, and we could probably even offer you free racing around the track and an invitation to the opening (just need to pay for ur accomodation and flights in portugal )
Old 23 Dec 2007, 17:09 (Ref:2094151)   #6
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is my first go at this. I wasn't completey sure about the shape of the land, so I just did this... Also, will the car park be dirt? and do you want a Pit Lane type thing? The Red indicates the pit area, where the cars would be kept, that orange indicates the barriers or net fencing, not sure if you will use barriers. Anyway here is the design, I tried to make the Hairpins wider for more overtaking opertunites and extra racing lines, hope you like it
Attached Thumbnails
DIRTKart.PNG  
Old 23 Dec 2007, 18:22 (Ref:2094175)   #7
BuggyGuy
Rookie

Hey,

Thanks for the design, ill see what my business partner thinks of it!
Old 24 Dec 2007, 15:41 (Ref:2094499)   #8
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also wasn't too sure what you wanted but I've done these 2 preliminary-type designs.

A rectangular one:

And a square one:

These are both very rough ideas. When you let us know more specifics then I'll try to do more specific ideas.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 24 Dec 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2094571)   #9
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
My second go then..

For a rectangular shape of land, tried to make the paddock, office, parking area long and tried to make it not too space consuming. The Green building outside the pits would be your office/facilities etc, the green building inside would be used for driver briefing (if needed) etc.. The blue building would be some sort of shelter or garage area for the karts, the orange would be, depending on your budget, a veiwing area or stand for people to watch, as the may not be driving, just taking people to the track. For the track itself, I tried to create a track with not to many hairpins and a variaty of corners, the first section of corners would keep the karts close together for the first tight corner, widened for multi racing lines and overtaking. Then more overtaking on the next corner after a short esses section. then a straight leads into a larger esses section, and then the final section leading out onto the main staright.
Attached Thumbnails
dirtkart2.PNG  
Old 24 Dec 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2094590)   #10
BuggyGuy
Rookie

Both look great, ill tell you what i think in a few mins (ill edit this post)
Old 24 Dec 2007, 21:44 (Ref:2094610)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I''ll add this into the mix, It's probably a bit long though fairly compact, but with short cuts you could have several different layout options.

Darker brown outer is Earth banks/berms rather than grass run off areas.

Orange building being site office placed between a possible car park and the paddock area.
Attached Thumbnails
dirt kart copy.jpg  
Old 24 Dec 2007, 21:51 (Ref:2094614)   #12
BuggyGuy
Rookie

Hey,

Ok after looking at your tracks ive gotten this idea in my head:

The track should have to the side a big building which will be watch tower/vip room, infront of this i was thinking the type of pit lane could be there, and tht track could maybe curl a bit round to the sides but not to the extent you have came up with, i tried to create an example which you can see in the attachment.

The red bit and box is the track obviously.
Blue bits are to represent spectator areas although they could be much closer in.
The green bit is to represent a pit section, although i cant figure out what would be the best way to get cars down to the track since it will be dug down into the ground, im thinking some kind of on/exit ramp (maybe you guys can think of something i cant?
The Black bit is a watch tower building, with a nice VIP section, garage and shop (be about 2/3 stories).
Purple section is where i imagine racers can have tents/gazebo for preparing there machines.
Yellowish section is parking.
Grey area i dont know, just kind of random space could have stalls or something there.

If you could use my VERY rough image, to come up with something that is much more detailed and explain how people would get onto the track etc id appreciate it.

My dug down i meant like http://www.fcac.edouro.com/web/pista.asp, funnily enough my idea looksa bit like there map, except they have a building in the middle which i think is a bad idea.
Attached Thumbnails
track.JPG  

Last edited by BuggyGuy; 24 Dec 2007 at 21:54.
Old 24 Dec 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2094616)   #13
BuggyGuy
Rookie

Hey Scots,

Thanks for the idea, i didnt see yours before i made my last post sorry. If you could maybe make it shorter, less complex and follow my guidelines a bit id really appreciate it.

I appreciate all your designs guys heh, i didnt expect you to be on here on christmas eve!
Old 25 Dec 2007, 01:16 (Ref:2094648)   #14
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyGuy
I appreciate all your designs guys heh, i didnt expect you to be on here on christmas eve!
pfft, we're creepy track designers, we have no lives, families or friends to be with, so we continue to make tracks
Old 3 Jan 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2098537)   #15
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alwaysfirst, your 1st one would be a good road circuit, too. Why not resize its scale to make it suitable for WTCC?

Buggy Guy, I don't do dirt tracks - in fact never have.
But what I do in real life in my summer holidays is riding my bike on my self-designed track loops through the countryside (that include sprints, hills and offroad sections). In real life, I'm more of a non-motorized kind of guy.
No, I'm not going to post these "track designs" on here, since they are completely offtopic.