Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Mar 2002, 12:19 (Ref:242304)   #1
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winston Cup vs Busch series

I was wondering if there were any differences in the actual cars used in the Winston Cup, Busch Series, ASCAR, and ARCA. If there are, i'd be glad to know what they are. Are they identical, or are the drivers just better the further up the ladder you go?
Old 23 Mar 2002, 14:37 (Ref:242361)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ARCA cars are former Winston Cup cars that only have a few minor differences (ie I think ARCA requires that the passener door have a window in every event. If I am not mistaken, NASCAR allows teams to leave this open if they want. Which they only do a short tracks where the cockpit temps are higher).

Winston Cup and BGN cars are close but not the same. BGN cars are a 100 lbs lighter and have a shorter wheelbase. Here is something that poster NASCARWidow posted on another thread about the difference:

Both the Busch and Winston Cup have a 12:1 compression ration. Winston Cup cars weigh 3400 lbs without the driver and Busch cars weigh 3300 lbs. The body length is the same 200.7 inches but the wheel base is 110 inches for Cup and 105 for Busch. Cup cars have to be a minimum of 51 inches high (roof height) and Busch cars 50.5 inches. The spoilers are different by series and by make.

ASCAR cars are similar to ASA cars but I am not sure to what degree. They use the same fiberglass bodies and engines if I am not mistaken. ASA (American Speed Association) is a stepladder series for NASCAR Winston Cup. It is not NASCAR series, it is its own sanctioning body and runs primarily on short tracks in the Midwest.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 23 Mar 2002 at 14:38.
Old 23 Mar 2002, 17:33 (Ref:242406)   #3
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the cup & busch cars have to have a passenger window at tracks over a mile. I remember Brett Bodine's falling out at Atlanta I think? Was a few weeks ago though.

Widow also mentioned that the Busch cars use a smaller carb. I'm pretty sure the cup car's carb is 840 cfm.

The ASA series is in the second year of using the same engines for all their makes. The Chevy Vortec V-8 which is fuel injected.

Not sure if the entire rule book is at their web site but you can view all the rule changes for 2002 in great detail at their web site. http://www.asaracing.com/tech_truck/tech_truck.html

ASA opens their season tomorrow at USA Int'l Spdwy in Lakeland, FL.

Don't know much about ASCAR.

Last edited by Lars; 23 Mar 2002 at 17:37.