Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Jun 2002, 10:45 (Ref:307968)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
WARNING , emergency car repairs !!!!!!

Hi folks , Ok Ive got myself into a bind , here I am stuck home on a saturday night and I need to be elsewhere but of course my car has decided to throw a spanner in the works.

its a 1987 Ford falcon XF and all of a sudden has decided it doesnt want to start, the battery has full power , and the starter motor is turning over but it just seems to lack that final spark to get it going, all the leads are connected , so thats not the problem and as I said everything seems fine , except for the fact the darn thing doesnt want to start at all.

so here I am stuck home all alone of a saturday night when I could be elshwere enjoying myself with friends (who for some reason dont have their mobiles turned on ?????)

can anybody help me at all ??? and quickly LOL

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 8 Jun 2002, 10:51 (Ref:307973)   #2
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: WARNING , emergency car repairs !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
Hi folks , Ok Ive got myself into a bind , here I am stuck home on a saturday night and I need to be elsewhere but of course my car has decided to throw a spanner in the works.

its a 1987 Ford falcon XF and all of a sudden has decided it doesnt want to start, the battery has full power , and the starter motor is turning over but it just seems to lack that final spark to get it going, all the leads are connected , so thats not the problem and as I said everything seems fine , except for the fact the darn thing doesnt want to start at all.

so here I am stuck home all alone of a saturday night when I could be elshwere enjoying myself with friends (who for some reason dont have their mobiles turned on ?????)

can anybody help me at all ??? and quickly LOL

CHEERS
Marcus
Check the terminals are tight and clean paricular the battery. Is the motor turning over and if it is is there any spark?
Old 8 Jun 2002, 10:52 (Ref:307974)   #3
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fuel? Carb or injection?
Carb/ Take the lid off the air filter and open the throttle to see if it has fuel in the carb. (it should squirt inside the carb from the accelerator pump jet)
try tipping a bit of fuel down the carb and see if it gives a cough or maybe even start!
Fuel Pumps are a problem on XF's (the car I drive when I am not driving the Morris!) and sometimes they won't keep fuel up to the carby.
Old 8 Jun 2002, 10:56 (Ref:307975)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
its carby , and there seems to be fuel getting there , but im not sure , i will have to check

there is plenty of spark there , thats one of the first things i checked , so thats not the problem , so to me its either fuel or electrical of some sort, I tell ya this will be the last Ford I ever own , i have had nothing but trouble with fords , now im off to check the carby properly.
Old 8 Jun 2002, 11:11 (Ref:307981)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
stuff it , i dunno whats wrong , im gonna get a taxi and wipe myself out LOL.
thanks for the help guys
Old 9 Jun 2002, 03:42 (Ref:308438)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well just for an update , i got home this morning tried to start the car and of course it didnt start , so I checked around a bit more in good light and yes no fuel getting to the carby , so then I poured some down it and it coughed and spluttered a bit and almost fired up, so I knew it was a fuel problem, decided to have a look at the fuel filter as it was completely empty , took it off gave it a blow out and a bit of a clean and put it back on and away she went LOL
so it turns out the filter was blocked or something like that but now its running fine and seems to be no problems at all