Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 14 Sep 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3136076)   #1
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huntsman Circuit

Hello everyone. I started a thread last year with the intention of showing some of the track designs I had came up with, but I decided to start a new thread for this project.

This has been a running project which I have been adding to for over a year. I now feel it is at a stage ready to share with you. There is a Vague story behind this circuit. The Circuit is based in the UK was originally built back in the 1970's. The track you see here is the modern-day version. The original circuit would have been purchased and invested in, upgrading it to current safety standards, modern facilities, and an extended lap length.

Some of the facilities include:
  • Pit/Garage complex
  • Bridge to access the infield
  • Two grandstands
  • Parking
  • An infield go-karting complex with pit garages

Below is a plan view of the circuit as well as a more angled capture to help gauge some of the features.

I would really appreciate your feedback and thoughts on this project and I am excited about sharing it with the forum. I can also show the current configurations if you would like to learn more
Attached Thumbnails
8 with inner and outer walls and scenery and grandstands n shizz and extra stuff (plan).png   8 with inner and outer walls and scenery and grandstands n shizz and extra stuff.png  
Old 14 Sep 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3136107)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lots of nice design touches there with the paddock, external parking etc. Very well though out.

Of the circuit itself,
Pit exist blends in well,
Not sure about a bridge over a gravel trap, personally I'd have tunnelled that, simply due to a car digging in and barrel rolling , you don't want a bridge there.
T2 and 3 I like as the angular corners. Not sure how the curved trail braking corner would work, as the kerbs for the T3 are in the middle of the circuit ?
External loop from T4 to the Zig Zag of T9 and 10, pretty straight forward, though I'd try to keep approaches either straight or a constant radius, T7 looks messy as a result of the intended or otherwise kink on the approach.
Looking at the short circuit and the end of the back straight, that's a long sweeper with out any any run off on exit, do do you intend to use the Zig Zag in some way.
T11 hairpin fine,
T12 chicane or not to chicane , if you are not using the chicane then I'd suggest some consideration would be needed on pushing the pit wall back a bit. Even using the arc of the pit entry would be use safety improvement.

Overall I really do like the design, the above comments are simply tweaks.

One general observation, in real life some tracks do vary in width, it tends only to be a extra metre or 2, or the pit straight might be 20m compared to a more general 15m width around the rest of the track.
In your design it looks like the track just about doubles in width, worth keeping that in mind.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3136112)   #3
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Hey, thanks for your thoughts.

The run-off area at turn 1 is concrete, not gravel. Concerning the curved turn 2, that would have been part of the old circuit no longer used. I also understand what you mean about some of the braking zones in the 2nd sector. I felt like designing a track that wasn't all straight lines and simple corners, if you know what I mean. They could easily be revised if needed.

Again, that long sweeper is part of the old circuit and is unlikely to be used. Finally, concerning the final chicane, you will see below that it is used on the international circuit, but not on the shorter, national circuit. I can understand how that final corner could have been confusing.
Attached Thumbnails
8 with inner and outer walls and scenery and grandstands n shizz and extra stuff (plan) GP.png   8 with inner and outer walls and scenery and grandstands n shizz and extra stuff (plan) National.png  
Old 16 Sep 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3136768)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see non-pedometer works (other than SBF's ones) here!

I like the ovberall design quite much - looks a lot like my layout philosophy

One question: ae there any standards regarding the minimum height of overpasses over the track? I'm afraid that section bottom right would be quite a rollercoaster ride

bio
Old 16 Sep 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3136769)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Not sure how the curved trail braking corner would work, as the kerbs for the T3 are in the middle of the circuit ?
I've lost you here. I see no kerb anywhere around T3, let alone "in the middle of the circuit"...

bio
Old 16 Sep 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3136841)   #6
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Thanks Bio!

I think SBF was talking about the darker strip separating the old and new T3. I've decided to remove this to allow for a different layout to be used. I've also pushed the wall back and added runoff at the old sweeper to allow it to be used in this new "classic" layout. Making these adjustments also slightly opens T3 on the International and national layouts, making for a more interesting first sector.

Oh, and Im also looking into minimum bridge height over circuits
Attached Thumbnails
8 with inner and outer walls and scenery and grandstands n shizz and extra stuff (plan edit).png   8 with inner and outer walls and scenery and grandstands n shizz and extra stuff (plan) Classic .png  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3138034)   #7
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Any other thoughts/opinions/suggestions guys? I should be able to get a few more designs up in the next couple of weeks and any input would be great
Old 24 Sep 2012, 01:18 (Ref:3140622)   #8
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
Any other thoughts/opinions/suggestions guys? I should be able to get a few more designs up in the next couple of weeks and any input would be great
This is an insane creation. Mad props to you. 'Nuff said.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3144664)   #9
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Hey, thanks mate!

I'm working on another track on my other thread which you could check out if you like this one. Its not as finished (yet!) as this track but I'm working on it!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128365