Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 8 Oct 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3148225)   #1
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Vepe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vepe's tracks

Hello, here's my attempt at making a track.

It's been inspired by Interlagos, and its name derives from it also...

Lake Raceway
Opened in 1971, Lake Raceway is a track designed for club and small national events.
It is 10 meters wide and 4,439 km (2,75 miles) long and very fast with longest straight being 900 metres and it runs clockwise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake, Original.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	38692

Comments and critics are welcome!

I'm also planning to update this bit by bit from early-70s to 2010s, so if you have suggestions, I'll be glad to hear... well, read them
Old 8 Oct 2012, 23:09 (Ref:3148551)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ok I like it for it's early 70s sweeping style.

THe upgrade,

Pit moves infield pit entry runs around inside of final corner.
T1 as it stands would have the entire neighbouring country as runoff, so as much as I don't like it it would need a Monza type chicane or Nurburgring type newT1 and infield section. The latter could be useful for some additional length.

The current T3 .. how about a hairpin that returns straight back down before arcing around to run parallel to the lake for longer.

Tighten the next right hander slightly offering a hint at an overtake from the longer run across the North side of the lake.
The Esses section to the SE of the Lake I like, but when it turns back towards the parallel pair of straights. The yop one should be longer, starting earlier - forget the kink, that also removes run off issues from the kink.

A sight re profile of the loop at the end of the parallel straights to keep the speed turning onto the lower straight down and therefore minimising the run-off required.
These changes would allow the straights to stay as close together as they are.

Final corner as is.

Just one suggestion.

it is nice to see someone else using Sketch-up
Old 9 Oct 2012, 00:19 (Ref:3148577)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
agreeing with basically anything SBF said, I'd welcome a bit more overtaking spots here.

Very good job, keep it up!

bio
Old 9 Oct 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3148935)   #4
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
ok I like it for it's early 70s sweeping style.
Thanks, thats what I was looking for at the beginning.

So, Lake Raceway was opened in 1971, and this update is dated to late-70s, early-80s.

Quote:
THe upgrade,

Pit moves infield pit entry runs around inside of final corner.
This was the first major modification to the track. The paddock was moved from outside of the last corner to this more infieldish position between the two straights S of the lake. This of course led to that area to be redesigned.

Quote:
T1 as it stands would have the entire neighbouring country as runoff, so as much as I don't like it it would need a Monza type chicane or Nurburgring type newT1 and infield section. The latter could be useful for some additional length
T1 caused a lot of serious crashes, fortunately only few fatal ones. This led to reducing speeds to that corner. It was made with two modifications.

First one was caused by relocating of the paddock, since they wanted the new corner to be as close as possible to the original one, the straight after it was shortened by 100 metres.

Second one was the esses located just before the corner. The track owners decided to make esses instead of a chicane in order to retain the flow of the track.

Quote:
The current T3 .. how about a hairpin that returns straight back down before arcing around to run parallel to the lake for longer.
This corner was also modified to provide an overtaking spot. Also a optional chicane was added to reduce the speeds, since there is very little run-off there and it can't be extended, due to terrain.

Quote:
Tighten the next right hander slightly offering a hint at an overtake from the longer run across the North side of the lake.
This is also now an option.

Quote:
The Esses section to the SE of the Lake I like, but when it turns back towards the parallel pair of straights. The yop one should be longer, starting earlier - forget the kink, that also removes run off issues from the kink.

A sight re profile of the loop at the end of the parallel straights to keep the speed turning onto the lower straight down and therefore minimising the run-off required.
These changes would allow the straights to stay as close together as they are.
This area was redesigned. The last turn of the esses was pushed back and it's now opening. The upper straight is now without the kink and the loop was pushed closer to the lake and was slightly reprofiled.

Due to the concerns about safety, gravel traps were also added.

Here are the lengths of the 4 configurations:

1. With chicane and tighter right-hander NE of lake: 4,441 km (2,76 miles)
2. With chicane, without tight right-hander: 4,474 km (2,78 miles)
3. Without chicane, with tight right-hander: 4,414 km (2,74 miles)
4. Without chicane and tight right-hander: 4,447 km (2,76 miles)

And here is the track:

Name:	Lake,80s.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	38710

Quote:
it is nice to see someone else using Sketch-up
I think Sketch-up is a great tool for designing tracks. If only adding elevations would be easier...
Old 9 Oct 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3149006)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Moving the pits to where you have them spoils one of the signature parts of the old circuit, that being the parallel straights. I also have an issue with the pit exit as now drawn as it's on the entry of the new T1.

THe Esses off the bottom straight I'd think would race as a chicane, so you'd be as well tightening the first part into a proper chicane.

Having a chicane first part, I'd avoid one in the second straight. This was why I suggested a hairpin. I was desperately trying to avoid a Monza straight chicane curve straight chicane situation.

Having said all of that I do like the new parabolica using the diametre of the paddock.

Do you have the original sketchup file prior to your modernisation?

I'd love to have a fiddle with it to show what I had intended.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 20:04 (Ref:3149016)   #6
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Quote:
Moving the pits to where you have them spoils one of the signature parts of the old circuit, that being the parallel straights. I also have an issue with the pit exit as now drawn as it's on the entry of the new T1.

THe Esses off the bottom straight I'd think would race as a chicane, so you'd be as well tightening the first part into a proper chicane.

Having a chicane first part, I'd avoid one in the second straight. This was why I suggested a hairpin. I was desperately trying to avoid a Monza straight chicane curve straight chicane situation.

Having said all of that I do like the new parabolica using the diametre of the paddock.

Do you have the original sketchup file prior to your modernisation?

I'd love to have a fiddle with it to show what I had intended.
Maybe I'll re-think the modifications, and yes, I do have the file so go ahead
Lake Raceway.skp
Old 27 Oct 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3158536)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Sorry about the delay

I've messed up the layering trying to do this quickly now that I have a few hours.

Name:	Lake Raceway.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	38964
Old 27 Oct 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3158547)   #8
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Quote:
Sorry about the delay

I've messed up the layering trying to do this quickly now that I have a few hours.
Looks great!
Old 30 Oct 2012, 04:38 (Ref:3159945)   #9
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im liking it but I'm having issues with the chicane prior to the big parabolica, it reminds me too much of Monza and I don't have much love for that chicane, from safety perspective. I'd rather try to divide the circuit in two, because it has too much of the high speed sections together and then all of the infield, catch my drift?