Old 15 Oct 2007, 17:50 (Ref:2040942)   #26
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade
One snag is that we have no spare cabling in ducts between the 2 points at present.
How about a 'Radio Link'? I know of a Channel you could put to good use!!!

R's Jim
Old 15 Oct 2007, 21:45 (Ref:2041148)   #27
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodopsin
Ay up Wooley - I think this thread now has two or three different topics and as you may have noticed from time to time - I'm completely lost
LOL. I'll do a split when I've got time and alertness and move all the bits. Some posts (including mine) sit in more than one, so it needs editing. Carry on regardless and I'll twiddle tomorrow.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2041157)   #28
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lamb
How about a 'Radio Link'? I know of a Channel you could put to good use!!!

R's Jim
Quiet at the back there. Enough said about links and frequencies for the year, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Carry on regardless and I'll twiddle tomorrow.
They generally do without any encouragement.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 23:12 (Ref:2041200)   #29
rhodopsin
Racer

Sri Lanka
Halesowen
rhodopsin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
LOL. I'll do a split when I've got time and alertness and move all the bits. Some posts (including mine) sit in more than one, so it needs editing. Carry on regardless and I'll twiddle tomorrow.
I'm only jesting - I was a moderator on a popular forum which is called "veloriders" and it was a right pain in the how's your father - so I know how it is controlling an unruly rabble

Sadly I was the highest poster with some 20000 posts at that time
Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:42 (Ref:2041699)   #30
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually, I think I'll just change the title, it's a good discussion.

Editted to say changed. Under other distractions, I think we should exclude such as the attractive young lady who passed Bottom Ess some years ago as a result of which, no-one on post saw the accident...

Last edited by Woolley; 16 Oct 2007 at 12:44.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2043562)   #31
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Ding Dong!

What ever you do please do not install one of these blithering "chirping budgie" alarms like they have at Harewood - they are MOST annoying!!!

But they get your attention! which is what they are supposed to do. I know, I marshal at Harewood
Old 18 Oct 2007, 15:04 (Ref:2043673)   #32
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMil
But they get your attention! which is what they are supposed to do. I know, I marshal at Harewood
In that case can YOU explain why they are left on for so long once the Red Flags are out?

Old 21 Oct 2007, 20:56 (Ref:2046868)   #33
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
because theres no one on post to switch the thing off as they are off dealing with an incident.

but then Our Andy has been observer in training up on quarry this season.

in the case of the one at Country - Phil leaves it on as it annoys Arthur on Chippies
Old 22 Oct 2007, 10:45 (Ref:2047678)   #34
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle
in the case of the one at Country - Phil leaves it on as it annoys Arthur on Chippies
It's not just Arthur!
Old 22 Oct 2007, 19:04 (Ref:2048274)   #35
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tough
Old 29 Oct 2007, 15:43 (Ref:2054130)   #36
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farmhouse Out cannot see Quarry, so the reason for the lights, (budgie being wired with lights on Quarry Straight)and will know that when they are turned off the track is clear.
As the good Lord says, at Quarry there is usually no-one on post to turn them off, and they are left on as long as there is need for a red flag
It's all matter of marshals safety, I am sure you would rather listen to the budgie than have one of us carted off in the ambulance. I CERTAINLY WOULD!!
Old 31 Oct 2007, 10:21 (Ref:2055706)   #37
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree with you Andy... I know I would prefer it.
Old 9 Nov 2007, 22:51 (Ref:2064058)   #38
j.harden
Rookie

j.harden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to distractions......
(Assuming the marshals know where they are) should official photographers wear orange tabards when hiding in the grass to get their great track level shots, or should they be camoflaged so they dont distract drivers?

I can see pros & cons for both sides of this one!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 00:26 (Ref:2064093)   #39
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.harden
(Assuming the marshals know where they are) should official photographers wear orange tabards when hiding in the grass to get their great track level shots, or should they be camoflaged so they dont distract drivers?

Lets hear em then
Old 10 Nov 2007, 03:53 (Ref:2064130)   #40
bentimingstrut
Rookie

Slovakia
bentimingstrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as Iam concerned its a no brainer.Better to have the canary twittering for as long as it takes to ensure a safe meeting.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2064226)   #41
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:

A few years ago whilst taking pics for Autosport & Motorsports News at Barbon I was approached by the Assistant Clerk and asked to remove my Hi-Vis Yellow tabbard as it was distracting the drivers. I was positioned on the outside of Crabtree Corner behind the double Armco.
I later asked several of the BHC drivers if I had been distracting them and the universal comment came back "I never saw you there until returning down the track!".

I would have thought it was more important for Photographers to "report in" to the nearest marshals post and tell them where they are planning to stand - at least then the marshals will know where to look for the bodies!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 11:48 (Ref:2064251)   #42
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:

IMO some photographers should be on a lead.

I certainly wouldn't want them camouflaged, if they are a distraction to drivers then they should move to somewhere they are not.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 17:48 (Ref:2070289)   #43
j.harden
Rookie

j.harden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
Lets hear em then
Steve W has summed it up really, & as a competitor as well as a photographer (not both at the same time I hope!) he probably should know.

If the photgrapher wears a tabard the competitor (may) see him.

If he doesn't wear one, the marshals can't see him (in the undergrowth at Loton for example) and therefore he may end up in an unsafe position.

Personally, I have always taken the view that I would prefer to know where the photographer is. If a driver is distracted, then he is either not trying hard enough, or the snapper is in a dangerous position & needs to be moved.

Different considerations for different venues I guess.

As for flash photography, do any of the professional snappers use flash on the circuits/hillclimbs? Wouldn't have thought that it would have any benefit at that distance!

Last edited by j.harden; 18 Nov 2007 at 17:51.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2109124)   #44
rhodopsin
Racer

Sri Lanka
Halesowen
rhodopsin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to drag this thread back into the current discusions, but have we concluded whether the drivers actually mind flash photography or not
Old 19 Jan 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2109157)   #45
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Steve W has summed it up really, & as a competitor as well as a photographer (not both at the same time I hope!) he probably should know.

If the photgrapher wears a tabard the competitor (may) see him.

If he doesn't wear one, the marshals can't see him (in the undergrowth at Loton for example) and therefore he may end up in an unsafe position.

Personally, I have always taken the view that I would prefer to know where the photographer is. If a driver is distracted, then he is either not trying hard enough, or the snapper is in a dangerous position & needs to be moved.

Different considerations for different venues I guess.

As for flash photography, do any of the professional snappers use flash on the circuits/hillclimbs? Wouldn't have thought that it would have any benefit at that distance!

The competitor doesnt need to know if the photographer is in a safe position or not as the marshals/Clerk will advise any errant snapper and move them to a place of safety...

All the competitor needs to know is snappers will be moved if they are deemed to be in a dangerous position....
Old 19 Jan 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2109158)   #46
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodopsin
Sorry to drag this thread back into the current discusions, but have we concluded whether the drivers actually mind flash photography or not

All I can honestly say is those I have spoken to dont
Old 19 Jan 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2109387)   #47
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was also my (limited) experience.

The original question was prompted by a barrage of PA requests at a certain hillclimb venue in 2007 for spectators not to use flash. They (the requests) just made me wonder whether they were really necessary.

The only time I've ever thought it a problem was when a snapper used a pro-type gun at about drivers' eye level on the exit from Orchard at Prescott, so he was effectively firing directly into the drivers' eyes. He was politely asked to desist
Old 20 Jan 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2110040)   #48
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
The better advice from the commentators would be to switch off the flash because you'll get a better exposed image with a better shutter speed if you do.

The original question I think is answered, then, by photographers in the crowd are not a problem, photographers nearer the track can be, but they nearly all know that and don't do it anyway.