Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jul 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2929732)   #3776
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't be Sandown as the 2nd car ran as #6 here, most likely Calder or possibly Wellington.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2929748)   #3777
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Wouldn't be Sandown as the 2nd car ran as #6 here, most likely Calder or possibly Wellington.
Plus the back of the pits at Sandown were at tailgate height so you could drive straight out of the truck.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2929806)   #3778
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definatly the Calder WTCC event in 1987. Brock/Parsons in #05, Crompton/McLeod in #10

At Wellington two weeks later Brock ran as #5, rather than #05.

Great pic, any more ?
Old 22 Jul 2011, 16:39 (Ref:2929844)   #3779
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why has the two Mobil cars different rims? A matter of stretched economy at the Brock team? Speedline vs. BBS - frankly, I'm not even sure those are the manufactures!

Jesper
Old 22 Jul 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2929954)   #3780
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle View Post
No interest from the Stone's then? I remember Ross Stone saying a few years ago he had first option on it when Craig decided to sell.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2929962)   #3781
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I assume this Eggenberger Sierra is in Australia if it is in Inventory?

http://www.ecurieinvestments.com.au/...o-rs500-sierra
Old 22 Jul 2011, 23:37 (Ref:2929979)   #3782
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The build of the '05' Group 'C' VK

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2930065)   #3783
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
No interest from the Stone's then? I remember Ross Stone saying a few years ago he had first option on it when Craig decided to sell.

Thats what i thought as it was one car they always wanted to keep.

I know that they still have the front spoiler and light assembly so they can restore it to the bathurst winning look.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2930069)   #3784
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post

Thats what i thought as it was one car they always wanted to keep.

I know that they still have the front spoiler and light assembly so they can restore it to the bathurst winning look.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2930265)   #3785
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Why has the two Mobil cars different rims? A matter of stretched economy at the Brock team? Speedline vs. BBS - frankly, I'm not even sure those are the manufactures!
The wheels on 05 are Momos. Things were fairly tight at HDT, Holden pulling the pin leaving a large hole in the budget.

The 10 car ran the BBS wheels during at least one of Peter McLeod's stints before switching to Momos when Brock & Parsons moved in. Perhaps McLeod brought some wheels along as part of the deal, recall he also brought the practice engine for #10 before it recieved the one removed from 05 for the race.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2931216)   #3786
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Sandown 1987?
Am I blind or are there only 3 drivers? Where's the 4th man?

And how'd Cromley fund his racing?
Old 26 Jul 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2931278)   #3787
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Am I blind or are there only 3 drivers? Where's the 4th man?

And how'd Cromley fund his racing?
Isn't that Peter McLoed (4th driver) standing just behind Crompton's left (our right)?

Don't think Crompton funded the drive in any way. Brock was big on giving people a go even in the financial struggle that 1987 was, and he'd given Jon Crooke a chance in 1987 also (although the coverage the Crompton car would get from Channel 7 camera's probably didn't hurt Neil's cause).

Peter McLoed brought an engine to the team as 'incentive' for the Bathurst drive (have to check but i don't think any $$$), but the #10 at Bathurst was entered with Crooke/Crompton doing the driving (as they had done at the Pepsi 250 and Castrol 500 earlier). Crompton couldn't race at Bathurst though as he didn't have enough signatures on his licence for the WTCC round, so the tender went out and McLeod got the gig.

Calder was McLeod's last drive, at Wellington #10 was driven by Crompton and David Oxton, while at the AGP support race the car went back to #6 and was driven to 6th by David Parsons.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2931967)   #3788
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In AA this week, Jim Richards is reported to be restoring an '87-spec BMW M3, one of four (?) he raced in season 1987 in JPS colours. The story also reports that the car has been sitting on display in NZ since 1993...

Which chassis would this be then? I thought they were all accounted for?
Old 28 Jul 2011, 06:14 (Ref:2932016)   #3789
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In AA this week, Jim Richards is reported to be restoring an '87-spec BMW M3, one of four (?) he raced in season 1987 in JPS colours. The story also reports that the car has been sitting on display in NZ since 1993...

Mr Towe knows all about it, he can fill us in.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 28 Jul 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2932044)   #3790
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Originally a JPS car, and an original BMW Motorsport built shell, its the only new one bought by Frank Gardner from BMW, and from what I understand served as the "blueprint" for the Australian built shells.So it has a BMW Motorsport chassis number. I don't think "sitting on display" is quite accurate, more like "tucked away from prying eyes"!!

So quite a desirable car in the Australian M3 scheme of things!
Old 28 Jul 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2932051)   #3791
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Originally a JPS car, and an original BMW Motorsport built shell, its the only new one bought by Frank Gardner from BMW, and from what I understand served as the "blueprint" for the Australian built shells.So it has a BMW Motorsport chassis number. I don't think "sitting on display" is quite accurate, more like "tucked away from prying eyes"!!

So quite a desirable car in the Australian M3 scheme of things!
I presume this to be the ex-Trevor Crowe car then?
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2932075)   #3792
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I presume this to be the ex-Trevor Crowe car then?
I think it was ex-Trevor Crowe. It has been owned by John Sorenson since back then, (Strathmore Group ring any bells?) and driven by John and Kayne Scott (from memory) in one (or possibly more) of the Wellington street races. It was white then, and probably still is. I understand it is missing the front suspension, but is otherwise intact.

Hopefully JR will keep it a bit longer than the last M3 he owned
Old 29 Jul 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2932307)   #3793
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I think it was ex-Trevor Crowe. It has been owned by John Sorenson since back then, (Strathmore Group ring any bells?) and driven by John and Kayne Scott (from memory) in one (or possibly more) of the Wellington street races. It was white then, and probably still is. I understand it is missing the front suspension, but is otherwise intact.

Hopefully JR will keep it a bit longer than the last M3 he owned

This one?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 01:07 (Ref:2932318)   #3794
brown dog
Racer

Quote:

This one?
Pretty sure thats it, has John Sorenson as driver in that pic. It appeared in 1991 I think with Kayne Scott, and no livery, just plain white from memory. And again in 1992 partnered by Keith Sharp, this time with Castrol sponsorship/livery.

Last edited by brown dog; 29 Jul 2011 at 01:32.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 01:56 (Ref:2932323)   #3795
brown dog
Racer

Might be wrong on the 1991 entry, but 1992 is correct, as I have the Pukekohe race on video and checked.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2932357)   #3796
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally a JPS car, and an original BMW Motorsport built shell, its the only new one bought by Frank Gardner from BMW, and from what I understand served as the "blueprint" for the Australian built shells.
If its a chassis they used as a blueprint, it would make it the car that Richards used for the Calder and Symmons Plains ATCC rounds, before he debuted a new car at the first AMSCAR meeting?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2932473)   #3797
brown dog
Racer

We can only speculate which races it did without checking logbooks, photos etc. It may have been the first shell purchased,(even that is not certain) but that does not necessarily mean it was the first car built and raced.

It is chassis #M3 1-17, which is a 1987 chassis. Some of the JPS cars were built using 325i shells with the appropriate M3 panels stitched on, maybe it was cheaper to do this way than buy an M3 shell? But this car in question was a Matter Gmbh built shell, with the BMW Motorsport chassis number. None of the other JPS cars had this to my knowledge.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2932892)   #3798
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all. It is shell no 17 and it was only used by JPS in rounds one and two. It is significant in world terms not just Aussie terms because it is the first pole position M3 in the works afaik. It was the Crowe Viacard car from Bathurst 87 but not the Spurle/Sharpe Castrol car, that is my first car after Sax had finished with it. Ther were six JPS M3s and they are all accounted for now. Only one was a 325 shell and that was my first one.
I hope Jim keeps it and runs it more than just at the AGP but if that's the only place I gat to compete against my favorite driver of my younger days then it will be an honor to be able to say I raced Jim Richards inJPS m3s and got my asre kicked.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2932893)   #3799
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Hi all. It is shell no 17 and it was only used by JPS in rounds one and two. It is significant in world terms not just Aussie terms because it is the first pole position M3 in the world afaik. It was the Crowe Viacard car from Bathurst 87 but not the Spurle/Sharpe Castrol car, that is my first car after Sax had finished with it. Ther were six JPS M3s and they are all accounted for now. Only one was a 325 shell and that was my first one.
I hope Jim keeps it and runs it more than just at the AGP but if that's the only place I get to compete against my favorite driver of my younger days then it will be an honour to be able to say I raced Jim Richards in JPS m3s and got my asre kicked.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2932977)   #3800
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Might be wrong on the 1991 entry, but 1992 is correct, as I have the Pukekohe race on video and checked.
Hi brown dog, can you check the video and look for the position of the bonnet pins. On my first car(the ex Sax, ex Sharpe/Spurle Castrol car) the pins are about 35 mm from the edge but shell no 17 had them about 50 mm from the edge. The difference is quite noticeable when you look for it.