Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2013, 03:26 (Ref:3245549)   #251
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
I have never believed that this race would happen. But then i never believed that Austin would happen. So I guess there's still a chance for New Jersey.

N.J. Formula One supporters glad to see racing insider added to committee
Tomás Dinges/The Star-Ledger
updated May 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM

The organization that wants to bring Formula One auto racing to Weehawken in 2014 recently lost two top executives, but yesterday named an industry veteran to its team, officials said.

WEEHAWKEN — The appointment of Christopher R. Pook as a special assistant to the chairman of the Grand Prix of America group drew a vote of confidence from the head of Formula One.

"Chris has a history of great success in Formula One, which I’m confident he’ll bring to the Grand Prix of America race," F1 Chairman Bernie Ecclestone said. "We look forward to working with him to bring F1 racing to New Jersey and New York..."

The head of Grand Prix of America, former YES Network founder, Leo Hindery Jr., said Pook would consult on all aspects of race construction, planning and execution.

Pook founded the first F1 street circuit race in the country, the USA Grand Prix West in 1976, and helped develop six other races around the country over decades in the industry, Hindery said. He is also the former chief executive officer of Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) series...

LOL, F1 in New York! Near "joy-z city", I see. Can't say I'm too enthralled about this one. I wouldn't have rather seen Formula 1 at Sochi. But don't count them out just yet.

F1 and New York are just an odd combination that I'll have to get used to.

Imagine all the complaints about noise and pollution and traffic and whatnot from those residents just east of the track. F1 cars will be practically running through their neighborhood...
Old 11 May 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3245613)   #252
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
LOL, F1 in New York! Near "joy-z city", I see. Can't say I'm too enthralled about this one. I wouldn't have rather seen Formula 1 at Sochi. But don't count them out just yet.

F1 and New York are just an odd combination that I'll have to get used to.

Imagine all the complaints about noise and pollution and traffic and whatnot from those residents just east of the track. F1 cars will be practically running through their neighborhood...
Bernie's had this dream of having a GP with the NYC skyline in the background since 1983. It was hoped the race would either be at Meadowlands in NJ or at Mitchel Field, Long Island. As we know it never happened and CART ended up racing at Meadowlands from 1984-91.

Bernie usually gets what he wants.
Old 11 May 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3245716)   #253
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And usually with big bucks for his pocket.
Old 11 May 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3245722)   #254
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
And usually with big bucks for his pocket.
It all helps. Did you see his tour bus in the paddock at Catalunya?
Old 11 May 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3245786)   #255
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It all helps. Did you see his tour bus in the paddock at Catalunya?
Oh yeah !
Old 12 May 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3246243)   #256
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Bernie was adamant yesterday that Sochi would go ahead next year, more non-committal on New Jersey.
Old 14 May 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3247384)   #257
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
He likes to talk. I wouldn't draw any conclusion about any of his comments.
Old 14 May 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3247388)   #258
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
You've got the measure of the man.
Old 14 May 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3247515)   #259
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

What scares me is that he usually gets what he wants...
Old 14 May 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3247570)   #260
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
What scares me is that he usually gets what he wants...
And when he doesn't, watch out.
Old 15 May 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3247802)   #261
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
He let slip the news of Schumacher's second retirement, remember.
Old 15 May 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3247949)   #262
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seb & DC have been out in Sochi trying some of the Russian Gp track!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22494561
Old 15 May 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3248148)   #263
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Seb & DC have been out in Sochi trying some of the Russian Gp track!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22494561
Seb is always doing such things, he's Bernie's star kid.
Old 25 May 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3252885)   #264
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Looks like would would have been a future grand prix, the Thai GP in Downtown Bangkok, has gone to Formula E. I believe that is case closed for Bangkok - they can hardly run Formula E and Formula 1 on the same weekend and it would be a lot to ask of a city of Bangkok's sheer size to shut down the roads for a race at least twice a year. :/

http://gas2.org/2013/05/22/formula-e...ce-car-design/
Old 25 May 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3253064)   #265
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
FE could just be a dry run to see that they're up for it when F1 shows up. They used to have non-championship F1 races, and those were sometimes precursors to a full-blown Grand Prix. Remember the 1979 Gran Premio Dino Ferrari at Imola?
Old 25 May 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3253075)   #266
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
daallo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 24 Hours of México (local race for touring cars) was announced this week for December, but the note there says that it may not take place if by then they have started remodelling the Autódromo Hermanos Rodr?*guez for an F1 comeback.
Old 8 Jun 2013, 01:05 (Ref:3259174)   #267
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Wall Street Journal from the Marshals forum: N.J. Formula One Race Is 'Definitely On'

Anyway, the writer doesn't seem to be into motorsport:

Quote:
the London-based racing series

Formula One holds competitions in 19 cities around the globe

200-mph cars
So, Leo Hindery Jr says the race will happen.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3260436)   #268
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Gordon Kirby’s interview with Leo Hindery is available here. A sample quote:
Quote:
"Having raced in Europe, the three tracks I'd compare it to are Le Mans, which has its own elevation change near Indianapolis, and then the Ring and Spa. If you can give the fans the entertainment phenomenon of Hoboken and New Jersey and New York City and couple that with a young driver like Vettel saying it races like Spa and looks like Monaco then I think Bernie and Peter Wahl and I will feel like we've pulled it off.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3260567)   #269
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Good for them.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 10:47 (Ref:3260834)   #270
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That's an excellent article by Gordon Kirby. I always like his column. Interesting to read what goes on behind the scenes.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 15:49 (Ref:3260983)   #271
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Bernie was adamant yesterday that Sochi would go ahead next year, more non-committal on New Jersey.
Well, GP2 Russian Time team is "sponsored" by Sochi 2014... But it's unclear if it's Winter Olympics or the Russian GP itself...
Old 28 Jul 2013, 01:17 (Ref:3282595)   #272
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
India and South Korea are in doubt for 2014.

Quote:
German-language reports in Auto Motor und Sport and Speed Week said that India and Korea are the races likely to fall victim.

New Jersey and Austria, along with Russia, are expecting to join the schedule, meaning that the calendar could blow out to 22 races.

Ecclestone, however, has vowed to limit the schedule to 20.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 03:17 (Ref:3282623)   #273
PepsiVodka
Rookie

Canada
Grande Prairie
PepsiVodka is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Argentina would replace either Hungary or Bahrain because Bahrain is having political issues and Hungary is the boringest track.

Yes, I would love to see Argentina back again, one race that pops into memory is the 1980 version of this GP.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3282877)   #274
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiVodka View Post
Argentina would replace either Hungary or Bahrain because Bahrain is having political issues and Hungary is the boringest track.

Yes, I would love to see Argentina back again, one race that pops into memory is the 1980 version of this GP.
Hungary produced a good race today but I would like to Argentina back on the calendar.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3282897)   #275
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Hungary confirmed up to 2021.