Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3781191)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bright Retires From Full Time Driving

Story Here

Seems the PRA commitments haven’t quite been sorted...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3781195)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More Here
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3781197)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't help but feel like his hand had been forced on this one, all over contractual BS.

Shame really.

Although you can't realy be surprised that PRA could make a blunder as bad as hiring too many drivers for the seats available.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3781199)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
From The Daily Telegraph
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3781200)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Subscribers only.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:56 (Ref:3781202)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The way each of these stories have been written, it’s almost like they have come out today to obligate prodrive to run Mr Bright at Newcastle..
Old 18 Nov 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3781203)   #7
Umai Naa
Veteran

And I thought last year was bad for dishonoring contracts.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 11:10 (Ref:3781204)   #8
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Can't help but feel like his hand had been forced on this one, all over contractual BS.
As a REC owner and self-proclaimed busy business executive, isn't it in Brighty's best interests to hand over the steering wheel of his #56 PRA-run Britek Falcon to Mr. Stanaway anyway, with a handful of enduro race appearences enough to scratch the motor racing itch for the year?

Or is the "bad blood" over his accelerated race retirement enough to warrant Mr. Bright to move his REC to elsewhere!?

Perhaps Bright could be placated with a steer in Mr. French's Falcon hardtop in TCM? At least there Bright would be in contention for the championship, unlike in the Supercars series.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 18 Nov 2017 at 11:26.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3781208)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
As a REC owner and self-proclaimed busy business executive, isn't it in Brighty's best interests to hand over the steering wheel of his #56 PRA-run Britek Falcon to Mr. Stanaway anyway, with a handful of enduro race appearences enough to scratch the motor racing itch for the year?

Or is the "bad blood" over his accelerated race retirement enough to warrant Mr. Bright to move his REC to elsewhere!?

Perhaps Bright could be placated with a steer in Mr. French's Falcon hardtop in TCM? At least there Bright would be in contention for the championship, unlike in the Supercars series.
It doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether he drives the car attached to the REC, or someone does.

I suspect that the relationship between Mr Bright and the PRA group is quite strained now. The quotes read as though Mr Bright has washed his hands of the majority of it, and left it to legal counsel to sort out.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3781211)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Subscribers only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph article
Supercars driver Jason Bright to retire after Newcastle 500
JAMES PHELPS, The Sunday Telegraph
November 18, 2017 8:56pm

JASON Bright made the toughest decision of his career while hurtling down Conrod Straight at almost 300km/h.

After screaming across Skyline, darting down the Dipper, and flooring his way from Forrest’s Elbow, he decided his 20th Bathurst 1000 as a full-time driver would be his last.

Bright hit the brakes coming into the Chase — putting a stop to both his car and his illustrious career.

“I guess the decision was coming for a while,’’ Bright said.

“I have been giving it some serious thought since about halfway through the year. But I didn’t make the decision until Bathurst. It was during the race that I decided it would be my last Bathurst as a main driver. I decided it was time to pull the pin.’’

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that Bright will retire as a full-time driver next week following the season-ending Newcastle 500.

In the end of an era, the 10-team veteran will step down to finish a Supercars career that began in 1997 when he partnered with Alan Jones at the Bathurst 1000.

Bright made the decision on the track he conquered in 1998 to become a Bathurst winner and a legend of the sport.

THE DECISION

Bright looked at the young co-drivers lining up for their shot at Bathurst immortality earlier this year. The 44-year-old saw hunger and hope. In himself, an apathetic appetite.

“That is part of it,’’ Bright said.

“I don’t want to stand in their way. I don’t want to be the one taking an opportunity away from the guys coming through. I look at how hard they work and what they are trying to do to get to the next level and I don’t want to be standing in their way while only giving 99 per cent.

“These guys want to be out there so badly and they deserve the opportunity more than me.’’

Bright said he was comfortable making his decision after a strong Bathurst qualifying campaign.

“I thought Bathurst was just the right time,’’ Bright said.

“I had a pretty good event. I had qualified in the top 10 and I thought if that was going to be the last one that I could be happy. It was a real hard decision to make. Of course you would like to race a lot longer. But I would rather do it now than be pushed, or feel like I am not enjoying being out there.

“And yes there was still an opportunity I could have pursued to drive next year. But the time it right.’’

Bright declared he could still be a V8 contender.

“But do I want to be out there chasing the odd win and the odd podium?’’ Bright said. “No. That is not what I really want to be out there for.’’

FAMILY AND FUTURE

Bright’s young family and rising business also played a part in his decision.

The former IndyCar star is looking forward to spending more time with his wife Lucy, and children Lennox Jay, 5, and Jemima Jean, 2.

Bright also has a booming trade membership services business called Taskforce Australia.

“I can’t say I have ever been busier than what I have been this year,’’ Bright said. ‘‘With racing, my business, and my family, well it has been flat out. It is really a mixture of things.

“I really haven’t had enough time to spend with my young family. And I feel like I am doing everything at 90 per cent and I need to be at 100. I can only do that if I sacrifice something.

FILLING THE HOT SEAT

Bright owns the Racing Entitlements Contract that could hold the key to next year’s driver market. With his seat now open, Bright admitted he may not have a say in who drives in his car with the future of his contract in doubt.

“The REC is still a little bit up in the air,’’ Bright said.

“Prodrive Racing Australia still have an agreement to run it. Until I hear otherwise it is theirs to use. I don’t know if I will own it next year. There are opportunities to sell it and that is something I would consider. I am interested in selling it. That might be the best option.’’

ENDURANCE MAN

Bright will not walk away from the sport. He is just quitting fulltime.

The Victorian has declared he will attempt to win his second Bathurst title as a co-driver.

“I will continue as an endurance driver,’’ Bright said.

“If the licence stays with Prodrive than I will be locked in with them. But it depends on what happens with the REC. If it stays there I could end up driving with any of the guys in that stable. I would not have to necessarily drive in my REC.

“If that doesn’t work out then yes I would put myself on the open market. I am certainly still keen to do the endurance races.

“I would also like to have a look at doing some GT stuff and race internationally. I am keen to race but the full-time workload in V8s is too much.

FAIRYTALE FINISH

Bright wants to go out with a bang. He is hoping to land his 89th career podium on the streets of Newcastle.

“It would be nice,’’ Bright said.

“I would love to go out with a win in Newcastle next weekend. It is not impossible. In New Zealand we had great race pace and I thought we had podium potential.

“And Newcastle is a new circuit and I like new circuits. I have always enjoyed learning new tracks and I always go pretty good on them. It will be bloody tough but I will give it a red hot go.’’
Old 18 Nov 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3781214)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks for the good times Jason, unfortunately the best time was nearly 20 years ago (bathurst 1998)

But i alos enjoyed the time in indy lights, got Fox just so i could watch
Old 18 Nov 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3781219)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did Mr Phelps really refer to Bright as an "Indycar star" ????
Old 18 Nov 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3781232)   #13
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Long Brighty thanks for the memories

Still have the Pirtek Poster,
Pirtek king of the hoses,Now King of the Mountain.

http://www.supercars.com/news/champi...rcars-driving/
Old 18 Nov 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3781375)   #14
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.

Old 18 Nov 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3781384)   #15
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The way each of these stories have been written, it’s almost like they have come out today to obligate prodrive to run Mr Bright at Newcastle..
I find it interesting his talk of ensuring the REC is "raced" each round and avoiding a fine. That screams LDM or a new up and coming team to me. PRA certainly wouldnt have an issue you would expect
Old 18 Nov 2017, 22:22 (Ref:3781386)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 18 Nov 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3781387)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The Highs And Lows Of Bright’s Career
Old 18 Nov 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3781389)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Britek/Jobri REC Still Up In The Air
Old 19 Nov 2017, 01:02 (Ref:3781415)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 19 Nov 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3781543)   #20
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should have happened a long time Mr Bright.....

Thank you and good bye....
Old 19 Nov 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3781546)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

He was still wining races and finishing on the podium up til recently.

Would've been better if it were on his terms.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3781558)   #22
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't it end badly last time between PRA / FPR the last time that Jason Bright ran the Britek Fujitsu-sponsored cars as a satellite team?
Old 19 Nov 2017, 22:27 (Ref:3781559)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176 View Post
Didn't it end badly last time between PRA / FPR the last time that Jason Bright ran the Britek Fujitsu-sponsored cars as a satellite team?
From memory it was more of an issue that they lost ford sponsorship
Old 20 Nov 2017, 00:19 (Ref:3781576)   #24
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what is the greatest number of Bathursts between wins for a driver. 19 seems very high......
Old 20 Nov 2017, 00:53 (Ref:3781578)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
I wonder what is the greatest number of Bathursts between wins for a driver. 19 seems very high......
without going into too much research

the guy he won with Steve Richards went from 99 - 13

And Steve's dad Jim went from 80 - 91 (and from 92 -02 (if you dont count super tourer)

tony longhurst went from 88 - 01

But none are 19 years

Does seem to be something about going from main to co-driver