Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 13 Oct 2002, 13:01 (Ref:402801)   #1
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news from Thruxton

Unfortunately club motorsport has suffered another fatality today. Mark Williams crashed heavily during the first practice session for BMWs at post 19 Thruxton and sadly succumbed to his injuries immediately by all accounts. Most of the racers present decided not to carry on and all the events bar the Formula Renaults have been abadoned. Mark shared a garage with me at this corresponding event last year and on behalf of the Formula saloon drivers I would like to pass on our condolences to his family and friends.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 13:57 (Ref:402832)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That is horrible news - boy am I glad I decided not to go to that meeting now. Glad that the majority of drivers saw fit to pack up and leave but why did the FRenault continue ?

RIP Mark.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 14:20 (Ref:402855)   #3
Nissan
Rookie

Nissan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news indeed, but I must agree with Craig why did Formula Renault and Mod Saloons not only complete their qualifiying but actually race, although I do not know why only 4 laps of FR were completed.

Surely in the sad event of a death of a competitor in what was the first session of the day the BARC should have abandonned the meeting?, or was it up to each competitor to decide ?.

As mentioned by Rod as members of the Formula Saloon club we also offer our condolences.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 14:48 (Ref:402877)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tragic news, I saw the aftermath from some distance, and I'm pretty certain that he wouldn't have suffered.

It was up to each championship if they wanted to continue and due the close standings the Renaults went ahead.. red flag was due to car parked on the edge of the circuit just past the 'tree'..

All in all, a real sad way to end the season.. condolences to the family involved
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:11 (Ref:402894)   #5
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sympathy and condolences to Mark's family and friends.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:23 (Ref:402901)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news and may I add my condolences to Mark's family, friends, and all those involved in the BMW championship.

I had been following the day's events via MST and I could tell something had happened - I thought maybe the bad weather had caused delays to the programme. This is far worse than I imagined.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:07 (Ref:402942)   #7
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news indeed. I've been sat here feeling a bit sorry for myself and nursing some bruises following quite a big "off" I had yesterday at Oulton at Old Hall in the wet and this just brings it home how lucky I was.

Deepest sympathies to all Marks family friends and racing buddies.

Maxx
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:00 (Ref:402969)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
My sincerest sympathies to the family and friends of Mark and also to the marshals and safety crews who attended this incident.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:06 (Ref:402973)   #9
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news indeed. Sincerest sympathies to all of Marks family and friends. Cannot understand why racing would continue in such tragic circumstances.

Sinead.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:10 (Ref:402975)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Friel
It was up to each championship if they wanted to continue and due the close standings the Renaults went ahead..
As I wasn't there I'll not get too involved with this discussion but that sounds as if the FRenault guys thought more about their points than they did about their fellow racer. Sad. Very sad.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:49 (Ref:403012)   #11
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having recently marahalled at the tragic Cadwell event and then again today at Thruxton I cannot understand why on earth the Formuls Renault or any event took place, truly shameful. I know that the championship had not been settled but is this any way to finish the season. At Cadwell the 750MC abandoned the meeting out of respect, there seemed very little of that today - Balders
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:50 (Ref:403013)   #12
johneturbo
Rookie

johneturbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sad news sincerest sympathies to his family and friends.
does put things into perspective
RIP mark
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:52 (Ref:403015)   #13
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just got back and dried out the camera...it was very sad. I was with some of the BMW drivers as the news broke and they imediately began to load up. I understand that (apparently) Toyo Tyres does not want to have their name mentioned in any reports for "their" race...presumably Toyo did not want the race to go ahead either. A few competitors elected not to race but the rest did. The F'Renaults also had a collision half way through the chicane leaving two cars undrivable and stuck on the circuit so I guess that was what the stoppage was for...or added to the stoppage!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:52 (Ref:403016)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Whilst I understand everyone's sentiments on this, I would ask the question:
1. is it certain that all competitors were fully aware of the situation when the decision was made?

I know that communications after an injury are usually very sparse and kept to those who absolutely need to know. Formal announcements are normally only made once everyone who needs to be informed has been. Is it possible that the decision was made on the basis that they knew someone had been seriously injured but were unaware that it was actually a fatality? I wouldn't be too fast to judge until it's certain that all the information was available.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 18:41 (Ref:403049)   #15
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently ALL championship co-ordinators were called to a meeting point. Presumably then all racers were spoken to. And an annoucment was made over the tannoy system in the paddock latter telling the public why the long delay and why marshals were leaving their posts.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 18:42 (Ref:403051)   #16
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every competitor was well aware that poor Mark had suffered a fatal accident and it is up to the ones that raced to live with their concience. I decided not to race out of respect to Mark, his family, the BMW's and the rescue unit, marshalls etc who did what they could.
Final Championship positions pale into insignificants when somebody has lost their life at the circuit.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 19:02 (Ref:403061)   #17
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
First event ive been to where someone died... quite sad about it really, quite shocking to think that someone can die doing the things we love doing.

It was everyones choice to race in the FR, we were fully informed, and pretty much everyone decided to race, and it was quite a careful race and quali by FR standards.

i know if i died at an event i wouldnt want everyone else to suffer and id want it to continue.

want half wet tho.... was surprised they let us race really.

Red flag was for the Car at "tree", which happend first, and was in a dangerous place. Results called at 4 laps.

for all.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 19:27 (Ref:403074)   #18
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
THR Thanks for your reply which I do not agree with, I am sorry I have been involved for nearly 30 years in motorsport, neither you or you fellow competitors know the meaning of respect, most shameful - Balders
Old 13 Oct 2002, 19:40 (Ref:403084)   #19
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news, to round off a terrible season for club racing.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 19:49 (Ref:403093)   #20
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wasnt my choice.....
just my opinion tho.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:07 (Ref:403116)   #21
Garry Ginetta
Rookie

Garry Ginetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was also at Thruxton today my understanding is that the Formula renault boys had 5 runners as potential winners of their series. That may have coloured their view. The Ginetta Paddock were brought together and decided not to race. This is the first time I have discovered which driver was lost. The information given is very poor and the paddock is dependent on chinese whispers. Mark's loss is a tragedy and it appears to be a freak accident. It was retailed to me by a marshal that a fire extinghiser hit him in the face. I am unclear whether that was the one in the car or from the marshal's post he hit: (
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:13 (Ref:403122)   #22
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too would like to add my deepest sympathies and best wishes to Mark's family, friends and fellow competitors.

I would, however, like to pose a simple question If you were to be killed whilst competing would you prefer that the event continued as a mark of respect to you or would you prefer it to be cancelled?

I know of one event where it was decided to continue, as a mark of respect to the competitor, after all the other racers had been consulted.

Last edited by KayBee; 13 Oct 2002 at 20:15.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:16 (Ref:403125)   #23
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This news fills me with a great deal of sadness. It is always a sad occurence when a driver loses his life.

My thoughts are with his family, freinds and team.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:21 (Ref:403130)   #24
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
In my opinion respect is it go quietly away with no thought for your own position or ambitions, to take time out and when you return to the track it is with renewed passion.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:21 (Ref:403131)   #25
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too am very much of the opinion that it should be left to the individual competitors whether to race or not in these situations, subject to police and any other authorities permitting racing to continue.

I am (relatively) young, but I am led to believe that years ago fatalities were much more commonplace. I don't know whether racing continued or not on those occasions.

I do not feel that to continue racing shows a lack of respect. I'm quite sure that all at Thruxton today (I wasn't there) were sad to hear the news but a line has to be drawn between which actions show respect and which are a step beyond.

Once more, my condolences to all concerned.