United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL!
Old 31 Dec 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2809806)   #27
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Here's my 4th december circuit, and being forced to produce, I had to dig deep and do something unusual again, I'm not a fan of NASCAR or ovals, but this would be my first one. I had to choose a location and for a NASCAR oval with an infield circuit it had to be in red neck country ,so I'll call it "Albuquerque Raceway Park"

The oval itself is darn big, 20 meters wide all across, and pretty long,and it's not a geometric oval, it's kind of a different thing and one of the long corners is not perfectly round but has a little bit of a DA just to complicate things for the NASCAR folks and hopefully force them to think a little harder, corners are banked...I don't know exactly how long the oval is but the infield circuit came out at a nice 4.1k(2.5m), it's 14 meters wide and I had to rush it to complete before xmas eve so it took me 1 hour from when I sat down and thought it out till what I got now, so excuse the appearance, it may be a WIP still...I haven't even counted the number of turns so you will have to do it for me.
Main straight is 838m, some big radius corners, some medium and a couple of tight ones, safety looks good for me at first glance(hope I don't find a mistake later) pit exit and entry are more or less normal, stands , paddock area and control tower are in the usual places, large grass areas are for spectators that like to walk around(I did that at Indy Moto GP in 09')

Hope you like it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Albuquerque Country Raceway top.jpg   Albuquerque Country Raceway 1.jpg   Albuquerque Country Raceway 2.jpg  

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 31 Dec 2010 at 21:37.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2809809)   #28
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very nice.

The only comment not a criticism, is that on NASCAR ovals they like to have big pit in and out roads, usually running from for example pit in would come off the bnking at the gravel trap of T1,2,3, with the pit exit road running parallel almost all the way around to the back section inside the oval before joining back on.
Old 1 Jan 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2809834)   #29
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really like the idea of inconsistant oval turns. One question i have is how big would the banking be? Id go for high banking like Daytona because flat tracks like California Speedway can create boring races but i dont know if high banking can be used for bike racing.
Old 1 Jan 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2809883)   #30
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, I wouldn't tell it's from you Luiggi if i didn't know. Unusual, for sure. And, as far as I can tell, very good, too.

One question: at the "beak" section, top left, where the inbfield section rejoins the oval, is the oval still banked?

bio
Old 1 Jan 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2809978)   #31
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
Really like the idea of inconsistant oval turns. One question i have is how big would the banking be? Id go for high banking like Daytona because flat tracks like California Speedway can create boring races but i dont know if high banking can be used for bike racing.
Yes banking is used in Daytona 200 and it's freezing scary going 180mph in the banking.The angle of the banking in my project I'm guessing something like 7-9 degrees and there will be a wall like evey NASCAR venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Wow, I wouldn't tell it's from you Luiggi if i didn't know. Unusual, for sure. And, as far as I can tell, very good, too.

One question: at the "beak" section, top left, where the inbfield section rejoins the oval, is the oval still banked?

bio
Yes bio, although not as banked as the big corners, there shall be an angle in that section, 7-9 deg in the big corners, 4-5 deg in that section,and I shall say there are NASCAR walls surrounding the entire oval, but the road circuit it's usable for bikes because the preceding corners have been purposely made very slow and heading into the banking, both sections I've seen something similar at Indy, and it was safe enough for MotoGP safety commission to approve. In all, I think both sections of the road course that take the bankings I see no problem because you are not exerting almost any lateral force to the walls, also, I have a little bit of experience riding banked turns in a bike and I can tell you is an exhilarating experience and I've never had a moment in it, it's just like riding skateboard in a pipe, its way too fun!!
Old 5 Jan 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2811508)   #32
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Hello again, I've checked out m y own track and found some safety issues(as I predicted) so here's the improved version, added some more runoff after T6, a larger gravel trap after T1, a gravel trap after T10 and pit lane in modified so that the exiting racers are not in the race line.
Attached Thumbnails
Albuquerque Country Raceway top.jpg  
Old 5 Jan 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2811542)   #33
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
This little tidbit doesn't get much airtime, but I've heard from the various broadcasts at and articles about Indy that it's generally preferred that the oval and the "roval" be run in the same direction, which normally means counter clockwise. I'm just putting that out there.

Also, if NASCAR was going to use this oval, I'd recommend banking of something like 14 degrees (the same as what Fontana has), which still puts you well below the 31 degrees you get at Daytona.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2811954)   #34
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why I like the look of irregular ovals, especially pumpkin shaped ones like this one, but I do. If my (ficticious) OtherWorld(ly) Series TM, which I had kind of modelled on CART in its heyday in the 90s, would still exist, I'd be very happy if they were able to run on your oval. Thank you very much for posting.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2811981)   #35
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
In plan form, I think this one has some definite similarities to Rockingham, NC.

The reason I mentioned raising the banking has to do with perceived racing potential, and the fact that both Las Vegas and Homestead have had the banking in their turns raised. In the case of Las Vegas, it was from 14 to 20 degrees. For Homestead, it was 6 to 20 degrees.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2812183)   #36
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Thanks Purist for the input, I think I'm just going to "mirror" the whole thing to compy with even the most basic standard of NASCAR nature. Hope didn't offend no one
Old 26 Jan 2011, 02:58 (Ref:2820650)   #37
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Since history shows Im real bad with ovals and so, let me get back to my specialty which are small to medium club tracks, designed with space efficiency and safety are prioroty.

I've done here an example based on a true site where the terrain is quite narrow compared to it's length, I don't know the exact track measures, if I did I wouldn't be in time for 4 tracks in January!!

Runs clock wise,about 2.5K with 14 turns observed by me.It's an exercise for me to try to use up the terrain the best way.
Attached Thumbnails
jan.png   ooo.png1.png   ooo.png2.png  

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 26 Jan 2011 at 03:05.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2820739)   #38
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Nice and simle - in the good sense of the word.

Luiggi would give an arm and a leg to have a go at this on

bio
Old 26 Jan 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2821017)   #39
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Very neat, very compact and quite functional.
Exactly what a club track should be.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 02:42 (Ref:2821136)   #40
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
oh thank you both, I thought this one was not going to generate a single post!

yes I'd give an arm and a leg for this to be my backyard bio and you know it!
Old 27 Jan 2011, 23:41 (Ref:2821527)   #41
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Luiggi,
could you post an image with the dimensions?

bio
Old 31 Jan 2011, 01:29 (Ref:2822987)   #42
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
[QUOTE=bio;2821527]Luiggi,
could you post an image with the dimensions?

bio[/QUOTE
I made it in other PC so I didn't even scaled it properly but main straight should be 800 M and the whole track shall be around 3,2K acording to my guesstimate... it's not going to be a karting track on steroids...though it's a very simplistic design.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2825354)   #43
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
woops I'm in debt, this track I did in the last days of January but I hadn't posted it, not much going on, just thought of a rectangular site and a simple track , it came out at 3.8 Km overall, 12 m wide, back straight 725 M, I didn't put much effort, just trying to comply with the quota, but it has a little bit of everything.

Edits, critiques and bashing is allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
UUUU1.jpg   UUUU2.jpg  
Old 4 Feb 2011, 00:18 (Ref:2825446)   #44
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
no bashing from this direction. Nice neat little circuit that would fit anywhere in the world as a National Level circuit.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2825714)   #45
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Another cool, Spanish-type track from you! The T3-5 sector must be awesome (if dry) and awful (if wet) at the same time - simply superb!

bio
Old 8 Feb 2011, 04:00 (Ref:2827551)   #46
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
first february not much detail just the concept.

4.420K long, CCW.17 corners observed by me,750 mt mainstraight, 14 mt wide
Attached Thumbnails
february1.jpg  
Old 8 Feb 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2827657)   #47
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Another WOW. I like it a lot. I can imagine huuuge racing moments at some of the corners, especaially T1 and the leftmost one.

bio
Old 8 Feb 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2827697)   #48
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow indeed! This is impressive. It's very Hugenholtz-y and may be your best track design on this board so far. Luiggi, what spectating spots can you recommend?
Old 8 Feb 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2827992)   #49
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
are you both kidding me?
this was very from the hip, well thanks a lot!! I guess luck has a lot to do with it...

awright seems I'm gonna have to keep working that one.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2827997)   #50
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Another WOW. I like it a lot. I can imagine huuuge racing moments at some of the corners, especaially T1 and the leftmost one.

bio
Yes T1 is quite deceivingly complex because of the different lines , I hope it doesn't turn into a pileup magnet or else I would change something, I'm the one who doesn't like overtaking spots at T1.