Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 3 Oct 2016, 13:56 (Ref:3677004)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
World Rallycross R11 - Buxtehude, Germany

Entries for Germany now online, Supercars here:

http://media.rallycrossrx.com/docs/2...de%20(DEU).pdf

Touring Cars & Super 1600 here:

http://media.rallycrossrx.com/docs/2...de%20(DEU).pdf

30 Supercars (-1 for Liam Doran)
20 Super 1600
18 Touring Cars

Good to see Foust back in Europe again, I hope luck is with him as he seems to have had car troubles during his last few outings. Be interesting to see what Cyril Raymond can do in a Supercar as well.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 14:30 (Ref:3677010)   #2
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was surprised that Nitiss was not on the list. Besides, isn't he also a permanent driver like Doran?

Will be interesting to see how the regular ERX drivers, besides from Hansen Jr, will stand against the WRX.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 14:40 (Ref:3677012)   #3
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Was surprised that Nitiss was not on the list. Besides, isn't he also a permanent driver like Doran?
I assume that Rustad is in the Nitiss Ibiza, so he has replaced him on the entry list? As JRM haven't replaced Doran, that is why the car is still shown as entered?
Old 3 Oct 2016, 17:41 (Ref:3677055)   #4
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I assume that Rustad is in the Nitiss Ibiza, so he has replaced him on the entry list? As JRM haven't replaced Doran, that is why the car is still shown as entered?
As both Wilks and Chicherit are in the only two cars JRM got and only run as privateers, I can't see it being any different unless it is because of Münnich Motorsport being a manufacture.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3677526)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Galli in Kia, Hvaal in Beetle, Foust, Rustad in SEAT, Noujokatis in Skoda. Nice to see some non regulars.

I have not really followed the news about Nitiss. I assumed a) He left Munnich because he was not happy about the SEAT and b) OMSE wanted a more experienced driver besides Grondholm and Eriksson. But now he's not in an OMSE Fiesta I don't understand it. Or is this round there's no place for him because they rented the car already to Raymond?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3677529)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As both Wilks and Chicherit are in the only two cars JRM got and only run as privateers, I can't see it being any different unless it is because of Münnich Motorsport being a manufacture.
Wondering about the Mini project. Would it not been better and maybe even cheaper for JRM to have started from scratch instead of buying the project from Prodrive?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 15:03 (Ref:3677549)   #7
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I have not really followed the news about Nitiss. I assumed a) He left Munnich because he was not happy about the SEAT and b) OMSE wanted a more experienced driver besides Grondholm and Eriksson. But now he's not in an OMSE Fiesta I don't understand it. Or is this round there's no place for him because they rented the car already to Raymond?
Since OMSE got Eriksson and Grönholm competing in the manufacture championship and not switching one of them for Nitiss in Spain or Latvia, why would they want a more experienced driver? Besides, their fathers got plenty of experience.

But I am a bit confused about the switch. Firstly, he was is no mans land already so switching to OMSE felt unnecessary when he could have competed the rest of the championship without having to get a ride by himself. And secondly, the Fiesta can't seem to stack up against the other cars anyway. The results haven't been to well for him since switching.

As for Germany, I have no idea why he is not competing.

Quote:
Wondering about the Mini project. Would it not been better and maybe even cheaper for JRM to have started from scratch instead of buying the project from Prodrive?
I think they lack experience so getting good cars from Prodrive was not a bad idea for them maybe. The project stood still pretty much at Prodrive so good deal I guess too. Their own built engine though feels a bit uncertain, maybe they should have asked Prodrive for a 2 litre engine instead ...
Old 6 Oct 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3677789)   #8
Janneman
Rookie

Netherlands
Janneman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Since OMSE got Eriksson and Grönholm competing in the manufacture championship and not switching one of them for Nitiss in Spain or Latvia, why would they want a more experienced driver? Besides, their fathers got plenty of experience.

But I am a bit confused about the switch. Firstly, he was is no mans land already so switching to OMSE felt unnecessary when he could have competed the rest of the championship without having to get a ride by himself. And secondly, the Fiesta can't seem to stack up against the other cars anyway. The results haven't been to well for him since switching.

As for Germany, I have no idea why he is not competing.

I think they lack experience so getting good cars from Prodrive was not a bad idea for them maybe. The project stood still pretty much at Prodrive so good deal I guess too. Their own built engine though feels a bit uncertain, maybe they should have asked Prodrive for a 2 litre engine instead ...
Nitiss didn't deliver at the Munnich team, maybe that is a good reason to part? If he wants to drive a 3th car of OMSE guess he have to pay for it does he have enough backing?

As for the Mini I don't think it is a car for a final. Also it looks like a car which is difficult to get a good setup. If you don't have drivers doing the whole season that makes it difficult as well. And maybe Guy Wilks but the rest of what they put in the car as driver is just by miles not good enough... this way it is not going to happen to get results and I think the team won't last long.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3677795)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
When they bought the project from Prodrive there was still potential for a 1.6L car to be competitive (with the overall weight reduction still allowed), Prodrive had a lot of experience with the chassis and moved it in the right direction so, at the time, I think it was a sensible purchase.

The changes to the 2016 regulations really forced JRM into adopting the 2.0L and I personally think they underestimated just how difficult it would be re-engineering the car for a 2.0L engine. It's not as simple as just stuffing a bigger engine in the front.

As crossfades has also touched on, I also wonder about the supplier of engines to JRM. Whose 2.0L are they using?
Old 6 Oct 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3677912)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Looking at their website it's not an inhouse developed engine.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3677920)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it was Neil Brown? There seemed to be a few of their guys hanging round Dorans car at Lydden
Old 6 Oct 2016, 20:06 (Ref:3677925)   #12
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the most difficult part is to get the ALS working at it's best? We also must not forget that power has gone up at least 75 bhp since the first 45 mm engines.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 20:08 (Ref:3677926)   #13
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Speaking of engines: what kind of base engines are EKS using? It's clearly not the same engine as the diesel based engine Larson is using. Are they using Lehmann as engine builder?
Old 6 Oct 2016, 20:41 (Ref:3677934)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine Ekky would access to the very bets.

I do think the Larsson machine is perhaps the best out there, when you think they ahve nothing like as much development and backing as Ekky.

And the Swedish Polo's ped all over the offical cars so got the gig.

Engines in rallycross now are not really manufacturer, they are tuner run, the basic engine block is the same but the rest is pretty much bespoke, like the chassis actually.

Hey ho, off into the millions we go,l nice one IMG, well controlled there
Old 6 Oct 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3677942)   #15
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Engines have always been tuner based haven't they? Even in WRC manufactures don't build their own. Pipo, Mountune, Lehmann, etc. Interesting to see that Godfrey isn't that big supplier anymore and Trollspeed nearly lost its mojo, but the Polo's put them back again.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 22:35 (Ref:3677968)   #16
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
The Focus should be considered to have a manufacture engine in my opinion, the car too is probably the only real manufacture car.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 06:12 (Ref:3678038)   #17
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Why? It is still Pipo and M-Sport, nothing wrong with that of course..
Old 7 Oct 2016, 07:40 (Ref:3678056)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Even in the old GpB days the tuner was the big deal

In the Sierra's it was Terry Drury or Karlssons

In RS200 it was Jon Minty Jeff Page.

6R4's were done by Goodmans or one or two other guys

I had a look on Ekky's site last night and could find no reference, so I would guess someone Swedish like Karlssons, they used to do a lot of work with Erksson but seemingly not anymore.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 07:50 (Ref:3678060)   #19
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
Why? It is still Pipo and M-Sport, nothing wrong with that of course..
Actually it is Ford Performance and M-Sport.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 07:59 (Ref:3678064)   #20
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I had a look on Ekky's site last night and could find no reference, so I would guess someone Swedish like Karlssons, they used to do a lot of work with Erksson but seemingly not anymore.
Didn't guru make a post last year mentioning that Ekström used engines from a builder in Luxemburg? I remember something about that they had built the engines for the Group B Quattros and was called Lehmann like 1975DCS previously mentioned here. On the WRX website however it only says "Audi".

During one of the early years for Eriksson in rallycross, he blew nine(!) engines in only one season. If he was working with this Karlsson, (I don't know who he is though) maybe this was a reason to part.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 08:18 (Ref:3678067)   #21
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
http://www.motordesign.se/en/about-us Karlsson heads used by Ultra Motorsport...
Old 7 Oct 2016, 09:00 (Ref:3678074)   #22
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Engines in rallycross now are not really manufacturer, they are tuner run, the basic engine block is the same but the rest is pretty much bespoke, like the chassis actually.

Hey ho, off into the millions we go,l nice one IMG, well controlled there
I appreciate that you have been following rallycross a lot longer than I have, but throwing money at the best engine tuners isn't really anything new, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS
Speaking of engines: what kind of base engines are EKS using? It's clearly not the same engine as the diesel based engine Larson is using. Are they using Lehmann as engine builder?
Quote:
The name I had seen associated with EKS engines (in 2015) was Lehmann. Don't know if that is the case for 2016 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS
Interesting to see that Godfrey isn't that big supplier anymore
His Ford engines have always done well, but I daresay he hasn't got the best track record when it comes to other marques.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 09:47 (Ref:3678078)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
His Ford engines have always done well, but I daresay he hasn't got the best track record when it comes to other marques.
Agreed - if you want a Cosworth YB tuning to a high power output then he's probably your man, maybe a BDT as well. For everything else - not so much.
Old 7 Oct 2016, 12:00 (Ref:3678102)   #24
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=

During one of the early years for Eriksson in rallycross, he blew nine(!) engines in only one season. If he was working with this Karlsson, (I don't know who he is though) maybe this was a reason to part.[/QUOTE]

Thats nothing compared to the 26 schanche did in the opel
Old 7 Oct 2016, 12:06 (Ref:3678104)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
What I meant in talking about costs was in regard of pretty much the whole car now being bespoke.

The engines are loosely, very loosely based on a production unit and the chassis, if you can call them that are cut up to such a degree that what once was a 208 or DS3 is now almost a spaceframe. Plus tuning a YB Cossie was relatively cheap, tuning an engine that hardly anyone else uses like the Mini or Peugeot unit is going to cost a bunch as development costs have to be factored in. The great thing about GpB was a lot of that had been done, it was trial and error from then on to get more power or torque and improve the engine, now you are having to do and pay for all of that with a tuner, where in the past he just erm tuned!

Obviously this has always been the case to a point, but I think it has moved on