Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Nov 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3778215)   #476
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Bizarre.
We nearly had a former Aussie V8 driver in the BTCC fairly recently,but he signed to stay as an enduro driver in V8’s, which caused calendar clashes. He was however a former International single seater driver so more well known in the UK.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3778232)   #477
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I’m not fully aware of the setup of the V8s but from what I see of them I’m guessing most of the V8 teams are fully funded and drivers can earn a wage.. whereas BTCC we know is quite different. In my eyes it’d be really strange for a driver to go V8 to BTCC.

Someone can I’m sure fill me in who knows what the low down is.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3778233)   #478
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rullo's a pay driver and a season of BTCC would cost a fair bit less than a season of Supercars.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3778234)   #479
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
We nearly had a former Aussie V8 driver in the BTCC fairly recently,but he signed to stay as an enduro driver in V8’s, which caused calendar clashes. He was however a former International single seater driver so more well known in the UK.
Was that for 2015 and WSR? I seem to remember something along those lines being mentioned then, would be interested to know who!
Old 2 Nov 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3778235)   #480
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplodeTheApex View Post
Was that for 2015 and WSR? I seem to remember something along those lines being mentioned then, would be interested to know who!
Yep, it was a certain Frenchman who had done a full season in V8’s after once being teammates with a certain British F1 Champion in GP2. One Alexandra Premat. His decision to stay enduro racing saved Rob Collard from ‘moving’ teams 😉
Old 2 Nov 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3778242)   #481
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Yep, it was a certain Frenchman who had done a full season in V8’s after once being teammates with a certain British F1 Champion in GP2. One Alexandra Premat. His decision to stay enduro racing saved Rob Collard from ‘moving’ teams 😉
Ah yes, thank you, that does ring a bell now! Obviously would loved to see him in a competitive car in the BTCC although I'm sure he doesn't regret his decision 3 years on.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3778325)   #482
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I’m not fully aware of the setup of the V8s but from what I see of them I’m guessing most of the V8 teams are fully funded and drivers can earn a wage.. whereas BTCC we know is quite different. In my eyes it’d be really strange for a driver to go V8 to BTCC.

Someone can I’m sure fill me in who knows what the low down is.
about half the teams are fully funded and the rest have drivers bringing some sponsors and budgets etc.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3778335)   #483
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...but-team-hard/

First Team HARD driver for 2018 confirmed, it's Bobby Thompson.

So now it is like that:

WSR/BMW
Jordan

HMS Racing
Austin

Team HARD
Thompson
Old 3 Nov 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3778343)   #484
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...but-team-hard/

First Team HARD driver for 2018 confirmed, it's Bobby Thompson.

So now it is like that:

WSR/BMW
Jordan

HMS Racing
Austin

Team HARD
Thompson
Also on the list

Team Dynamics / Honda
Neal
Shedden
Old 3 Nov 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3778347)   #485
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably so. I think, however, that time has come for Neal to retire
Old 3 Nov 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3778351)   #486
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good to see Thompson making the step up. Best of luck to him. Gilham's always good at signing young talent
Old 3 Nov 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3778352)   #487
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Andrew Jordan confirms via twitter that he is staying at WSR
It is probably nothing - but in the post Jordan's car still carries his name/number in the window. Next to his car, Collard's has had the name and number removed.

An indication that Collard does not have a contract for next season - or just standard removal in the WSR workshop?
Old 3 Nov 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3778376)   #488
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It is probably nothing - but in the post Jordan's car still carries his name/number in the window. Next to his car, Collard's has had the name and number removed.

An indication that Collard does not have a contract for next season - or just standard removal in the WSR workshop?
Wasn't Collards 'car' for the finale at BH (that he didn't race) WSR's old spare car as Rob's cars was not repaired from Silverstone, so presumably they will be building up Rob a new shelled car over the winter, if he comes back of course. Might be a sign, but might not!
Old 3 Nov 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3778382)   #489
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Wasn't Collards 'car' for the finale at BH (that he didn't race) WSR's old spare car as Rob's cars was not repaired from Silverstone, so presumably they will be building up Rob a new shelled car over the winter, if he comes back of course. Might be a sign, but might not!
So, in true rumours and silly season styles, we have either:

A. Collard will not be at WSR in 2018, so his name/number have been removed
B. Collard is at WSR in 2018, and his car is being rebuilt

Old 3 Nov 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3778420)   #490
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting wording here.

https://twitter.com/StephenJelley/st...58354507468800

"The last hurrah!! At the opening of Europe’s newest Ford dealership! @Sandicliffe notts"
Old 4 Nov 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3778534)   #491
Matt K
Veteran

Rob Collard has been quite impressive recently but for me WSR should search for some fresh blood to give them a chance. The same Team Dynamics should consider as BTCC will not forever be based on Plato/Neal/Collard and so on. They are in their 50s. I would love to see somebody else in Dynamics Honda and in WSR BMW. Like Jake Hill for example.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3778541)   #492
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Rob Collard has been quite impressive recently but for me WSR should search for some fresh blood to give them a chance. The same Team Dynamics should consider as BTCC will not forever be based on Plato/Neal/Collard and so on. They are in their 50s. I would love to see somebody else in Dynamics Honda and in WSR BMW. Like Jake Hill for example.
Well, Collard has only just turned 49, so that's not entirely true. Agree with you otherwise, I was hoping Jake Hill would be driving for Motorbase this season.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3778542)   #493
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Collard will go on for another couple of seasons, then he might step down from driving and do something else
Old 4 Nov 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3778562)   #494
Matt K
Veteran

Oops I thought he's older anyway, it is a good age for ending career and making a place for youngsters. Jake Hill would be a great addition to either WSR or Team Dynamics.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3778565)   #495
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob should retire and put his son in the car.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3778566)   #496
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see Rob keep going for a few more years - he gets better and better each season and I think he would have a good shot at the title if his qualifying performances were better. I can't see a change at WSR for next season.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 17:43 (Ref:3778567)   #497
Matt K
Veteran

We can say some ifs and buts but this guy is almost 50 and it's not time for getting better and better and personally I'd rather see younger drivers in BTCC.

Ricky Collard instead of Rob would be cool. Ricky was quite impressive in a few ADAC GT races but he didn't finish the season and I don't know why honestly.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3778571)   #498
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
You would think his son is the only driver he might transfer his mega-budget to
Old 4 Nov 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3778572)   #499
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ricky Collard instead of Rob would be cool. Ricky was quite impressive in a few ADAC GT races but he didn't finish the season and I don't know why honestly.
BMW was not sure, that they will win the title with Ricky in the car. The hole Paddock from the GT Masters didn´t unterstand that decission.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3778581)   #500
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Rob Collard looks in far better form than JP and Matt of late. Rob is IMO a much better driver now than he has been at any point in his career. Fingers crossed he will be back showing the young 'uns how to do it...