Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jan 2014, 14:40 (Ref:3351645)   #76
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
And then someone else mentioned the Abruzzi... gaaaaah my eyes!!!! And boy was it ever (a) slow, and (b) unreliable. Only made a few ALMS starts, so I can consider myself honoured to be among those who actually saw it race.

The thing looked like a vacuum cleaner from the front. Argh.
I didn't mind the Abruzzi so much. It was a true oddball. Seeing the street version drive around Road Atlanta was also a treat. It actually looked slightly better than the race version.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3351651)   #77
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I didn't mind the Abruzzi so much. It was a true oddball. Seeing the street version drive around Road Atlanta was also a treat. It actually looked slightly better than the race version.
I really wanted to like it when I first heard about it... but as with so many things ALMS/Panoz, it kind of fizzled (remember the limited edition, European-market only road-going version?).

General styling aside for the moment, one thing I really dislike is the wheels, which look teeny-tiny for the rest of the car.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3351659)   #78
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good thing About the Abruzzi was that it was so fast you could easily miss it if you blinked - oops - that's GONE so fast.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 16:15 (Ref:3351681)   #79
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the Abruzzi might be the last true "oddball" GT car, at least as far as top-level sports car racing goes.

Stringent homologation rules have been a good thing for the sport, on the whole - but there's something sad about the world that has died, where a couple of blokes could accidentally build a brilliant car in the garden shed. I'm not saying the Abruzzi was one of those cars (though some of the cars in this thread could certainly be described that way), but it wasn't exactly built in the numbers of the 911...

I miss cars like the Abruzzi. At Le Mans, it now even seems a tall order to expect a slightly quirky manufacturer like Spyker.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3351754)   #80
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I miss cars like the Abruzzi. At Le Mans, it now even seems a tall order to expect a slightly quirky manufacturer like Spyker.
I presume Morgan felt the same way and decided it would be much more effective to put their name to an LMP2 car.

I wonder if the new GT regs in a couple of years time will encourage more 'oddball' cars?

Anyway, a few more oddball cars:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-04-04-075.jpg
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-04-04-073.jpg
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-05-21-006.jpg
http://www.britishgt.com/gallerypic....=2006&event=51

Would the TVR T400Rs count? They were small in number but definitely made a great impact!
Old 8 Jan 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3351769)   #81
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
I wonder if the new GT regs in a couple of years time will encourage more 'oddball' cars?
With the current manufacturers involved in the writing of the ruleset? Unlikely.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3352084)   #82
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably been mentioned already but anyway, no list of oddball cars would be complete without a Morgan:
http://www.gtdreams.com/_FIAGT_Nogar...o2008_0849.jpg
Old 10 Jan 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3352582)   #83
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Previosly Mentioned, but no pics:

I present you The Brokernet Silver Sting !

The Flat 6 powered hungarian beauty was raced by Bovi motorsport and archived some some success in the 24H series, including pole for the 2009 12H of Hungaroring
Old 10 Jan 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3352642)   #84
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see some McLaren F1 cues in that...
Old 10 Jan 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3352646)   #85
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
How about the donkervoort gt4

http://www.donkervoort.com/wp-conten...angt4/5406.jpg
Old 11 Jan 2014, 02:03 (Ref:3352683)   #86
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I posted something about this in another thread, but I think it probably qualifies here too... the Marcos G70 GT. Interesting in that it belonged to (and was raced by) F1's Dr. Jonathan Palmer. As seen here, it's being run in a VARAC vintage racing event (on the Toronto IndyCar circuit) by John Coome, back in 2009.

Marcos G70 GT by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Old 11 Jan 2014, 02:55 (Ref:3352700)   #87
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that's a ducktail!
Old 11 Jan 2014, 04:18 (Ref:3352710)   #88
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
That's a garage door.
Old 11 Jan 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3352720)   #89
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I posted something about this in another thread, but I think it probably qualifies here too... the Marcos G70 GT. Interesting in that it belonged to (and was raced by) F1's Dr. Jonathan Palmer. As seen here, it's being run in a VARAC vintage racing event (on the Toronto IndyCar circuit) by John Coome, back in 2009.

Any idea if the Marcos is running on a V8 engine or V6?
Old 11 Jan 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3352784)   #90
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That car has to be saying something in that second shot..... That air intake 'mouth' at the front and the puffed out 'cheeks' are straight out of 'Cars' surely!!
Old 11 Jan 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3352793)   #91
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That car has to be saying something in that second shot..... That air intake 'mouth' at the front and the puffed out 'cheeks' are straight out of 'Cars' surely!!
Only two me about two seconds of looking after reading this to think "Food" lol.

It does look good from the side though.
Old 11 Jan 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3352801)   #92
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The Marcos G70 GT
Old 11 Jan 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3352807)   #93
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
For a change now a GT that made it's debut late 2013. I don't know the name of the car. According to the entrylist at the Supercar Challenge website the car is named "Car without name".

Old 11 Jan 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3352858)   #94
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a Viper with a different bumper.
Old 11 Jan 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3352867)   #95
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Any idea if the Marcos is running on a V8 engine or V6?
It's the Rover 3.9L V8, said to be 300hp.

http://johncoomeracing.com/

The information on that website seems pretty old so I don't know if it's still racing or not.

EDIT - some nice photos of it (not mine) in this set, also from 2009:
http://www.myracingimages.com/photo-...009/Group%207/

Last edited by rwintle; 11 Jan 2014 at 19:21. Reason: found some pics
Old 11 Jan 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3352868)   #96
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Looks like a Viper with a different bumper.
Yup, can't fool me, it's a Viper. Unless it's got the guts of something else under that bodywork(!).
Old 11 Jan 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3352879)   #97
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Yup, can't fool me, it's a Viper. Unless it's got the guts of something else under that bodywork(!).
This is under the bdoy:
http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/user...e_gtkiller.pdf
Old 16 Jan 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3354679)   #98
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Suprised no one posted this car
The Chevron GR8 GT3 is a gt3 spec car that competed on British GT(as a Guest, since no road car has been built) in 2012, plus some Britcar races.

Unlike the other GR8. this one has a 3.5 V6
Old 16 Jan 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3354693)   #99
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I like the original. No silly screw on wheel arch extensions, and it was surprisingly quick, with 1600cc (As I recall it?)...
This looks like overkill.

As for the LS3 V8 'viper'? WHY???
Old 16 Jan 2014, 14:40 (Ref:3354730)   #100
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trident Iceni GT!