Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

View Poll Results: Have you considered marshalling?
Yes - I am a marshal 38 58.46%
No - I didn't know it was an option - isn't it a paid job or something? 0 0%
No - I have other race day obligations (driver, team member, mechanic, organiser etc.) 9 13.85%
No - it looks too boring/cold/wet etc. 3 4.62%
No - it looks too dangerous/difficult 1 1.54%
No - I wouldn't have the time to make the commitment 1 1.54%
No - I've heard too many negative things about marshalling to consider it 0 0%
I've never really thought about it at all to be honest 3 4.62%
Other 10 15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Aug 2003, 10:19 (Ref:702491)   #1
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Have you ever considered marshalling?

Lots of people here spend a lot of time hanging out at race circuits, but still marshalling numbers are dropping and we don't seem to be getting many new people joining up.

So I'm interested to know if you've considered marshalling and if not, why not!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 10:40 (Ref:702506)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good thread EP.

Although I voted "No because I have other raceday commitments". I have marshalled occaisionally.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 11:16 (Ref:702539)   #3
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
always marshal or rescue crew - i mean who wants to pay to go and watch racing
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:28 (Ref:702589)   #4
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's something that has crossed my mind from the time I used to accompany Scrutineers during race weekends.

But, to be honest, I think I'd be more of a hinderance than a help. You're all efficient and intelligent and can use initiative so I can't help feeling the world of marshalling is safer without me "helping" on the banks.

But, if there is anybody brave (or stupid) enough to look after me then I might give it a try one day. Obviously I'd need to make sure my lipstick doesn't clash with the orange overalls (not that I have any orange overalls anyway - but I do have an orange jacket for work if that's any help!).
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:53 (Ref:702621)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Suzy, you do yourself an injustice! You are welcome to join me for a days marshalling at any time, just drop me a PM and we will sort it out. You never know, you might just get the 'bug'
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:20 (Ref:702648)   #6
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suzy, you can always join me in the pits, I am always on the lookout for new bodies to join us.

PM me if you want to do that, but as I always state, there are more jobs at a racetrack than being trackside, so if you enjoy yourself but think the pits or course is not for you there is always another job that needs doing.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 14:31 (Ref:702713)   #7
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only if you promise to be gentle with me Stephen I don't want to be dragged across the gravel a la Priest style!

Jason: not sure about your "other job that needs doing"... sounds ominous to me. I could supply cups of tea and biscuits though - I think I could do that without too much trouble. Is that a valid job?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 14:50 (Ref:702741)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Gentle...Moi? Gentle is my middle name

Go on Suzy, give it a try!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 15:00 (Ref:702756)   #9
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Interesting that so far, the majority of voters have been marshals.........

Not helpful statistically, but interesting!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 15:01 (Ref:702759)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yea...come on the rest of you lurkers, get voting!!!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 15:26 (Ref:702778)   #11
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I have to stop racing (eg lack of funds) then I would seriously consider marshalling so as to be close or indeed in the thick of the action, however with a young family I would only consider one day meetings(pretty much as I do now for racing). As a kid, well er 16 of course....(I was tall for my age) I marshalled at a few AMOC events in the very early 80's, I was on the same post as my dad (of course), he always said to me 'if there's a biggie you make sure you stay here and wave the flags!'
Old 29 Aug 2003, 15:45 (Ref:702788)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The timing of this thread is funny, as I just sent off for information concerning marshalling from the SCCA here in the states just two days ago. I am waiting to get the info to see what exactly race marshalling entails.

I've considered it for awhile, but my weekends were pretty much tied up, but that will soon change. Also I don't live to close to any tracks, so I will have to consider how much time I can give to it, but personally I think it would be a blast as well as a challenge.

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Aug 2003, 15:48 (Ref:702792)   #13
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the father of a young Racer, I don't have too much time but did try my hand at Marshalling back in July. I had a great time and found it interesting and enlightening. I will certainly be back, and next time with my boy, who I expect to be similarly educated into a different point of view.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 15:56 (Ref:702797)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
GP Racer, if you live some way from the track, try asking other marshals if anyone lives close to you. That way you can share a ride and split the cost of petrol etc.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:07 (Ref:702808)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
GP Racer, if you live some way from the track, try asking other marshals if anyone lives close to you. That way you can share a ride and split the cost of petrol etc.
Thats a great idea, and one that I'll consider when the time comes.

I 'm also trying to get two of my buddies interested. That will surely make things easier and alot more fun!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:41 (Ref:702860)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought of it,when I was younger,but was never practical.I have never been able to drive,so even when I lived in London it was not possible to get even to Brands Hatch in time for practice.Nowdays it means at least 2 nights accomodation to go further than Cadwell Park,so I mostly stay at home.Plenty on TV these days.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 17:16 (Ref:702882)   #17
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had never been to a race meeting before I became a marshal, the only time I tried spectating since left me bored because I had a big debris fence in the way and I was on the wrong side. I SAY TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE NOT TRIED MARSHALLING COME ALONG AND JOIN US - BETTER VIEW FROM WHERE WE ARE.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 19:09 (Ref:702965)   #18
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob, we would have a welcome for you at Cadwell any time you would like to join us. If you are free this weekend (31st) the MGCC are there and that is always good. PM me if you are interested.

As to the poll: I guess I found my true level after spectating, photography and 3 seasons in Slick50 saloons...
Old 29 Aug 2003, 20:21 (Ref:703019)   #19
A. C. E. motors
Rookie

England
Leicestershire UK
A. C. E. motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to know who to ask about marshalling at Mallory or Donington?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 20:51 (Ref:703037)   #20
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yet another marshal voting...wouldn't stop doing what I'm doing for the world, although I wish that BARC would stop sending me officials passes when I haven't even volunteered to marshal for the events!
Old 30 Aug 2003, 19:31 (Ref:703519)   #21
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If marshals are frustrated drivers, then spectators must be frustrated marshals. Drivers they are just frustrating.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 20:18 (Ref:703557)   #22
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another marshal voting, I've been marshalling for 20 years and I still miss it between events. The best part of marshalling is the friends that I've made over the years and the friends I will make in the coming years.
I recommend it for anyone.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 22:15 (Ref:703654)   #23
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Howarth
The best part of marshalling is the friends that I've made over the years and the friends I will make in the coming years.
With all the negative comments in other threads (Thin Orange Line etc), this the ONE reason that I have decided to retrieve my probans and return to the bank. I may be sad and lonely but,............ my only true friends (people I would trust with my life) are On-the-Bank and I missed them.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 23:57 (Ref:703704)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I looked into marshalling and I discovered you can't be a marshall around here unless you have a car -- the training is done at Mosport which is inaccessible except by car.

Now that I have only one good eye, I can't drive -- and besides that I'd probably make a terrible marshall since I only have one good eye!
Old 31 Aug 2003, 00:03 (Ref:703707)   #25
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
and besides that I'd probably make a terrible marshall since I only have one good eye!
and so we've found another Observer !!!!!

welcome to the troop Liz.