Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2000, 22:45 (Ref:32407)   #1
racefan
Rookie

racefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion Bernie Ecclestone is to motor racing what Bill Gates is to computer software, but in the wrong light. Similarity: Both have a monopoly. Difference: As for Ecclestone, nobody (who enjoys car racing) needs F1. As for Gates, it does not have to be even mentioned (i.e. everybody needs his software).
Arguably, F1 cars are the fastest cars to run on complex tracks, yet F1 is not the most interesting racing series. Even dragsters are more fun to watch: you have 2 cars yet you do not know who is going to win. In F1 you have 24 cars, yet you ALWAYS know who is going to win (or at least you can bring it down to 4 cars).
Admittedly, there are drivers with more skills than others in F1 (or in any other series for that matter), yet always the same drivers win.
Honestly, I long for the days of the Laudas, Sennas, Piquets, Prosts, Mansells, etc. There is no RACING in F1 nowadays. They were all good in their own, yet they could all race ech other thanks to the fact that their cars were pretty much the same.
I (and a few million more people) would love to see some changes in the F1 rules so that there could be some racing (if not among the 12 teams, at least among 6 or 7 teams).
If I am wrong, and today's F1 top drivers are REALLY that much further ahead from the rest, then I think we need another series: "FORMULA SUPRA" or something like that to suit Ferrari and MacLaren. Then the other 22 sub-par drivers in good cars (or better said: the other 22 good drivers in sub-par cars) could get down to some actual racing.
I am new to this forum and I would appreciate to see some coments.

Old 24 Aug 2000, 00:00 (Ref:32417)   #2
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so your not going to tune in this weekend?
at the one, the only.. spa?

i think not. and i know why

both titles are on the line between the top 2 teams and the top 4 drivers.

this years wdc race is as good as racing gets.

what is drag racing? a 5-second blur and a cheeseburger to go.

Old 24 Aug 2000, 03:26 (Ref:32448)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's going to rain at Spa. That will make all the difference in the world.

If you want to see racing, watch CART. And Duke sells lots of videos of the 1970s and 1980s when racing was racing.

Anyway it's an old argument and everybody agrees that we like the old days better ... but so what?

ON TO SPA! JEAN ALESI WILL WIN!
Old 27 Aug 2000, 04:35 (Ref:33003)   #4
f1ciamp
Rookie

f1ciamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racefan
what . Even dragsters are more fun to watch: you have 2 cars yet you do not know who is going to win. In F1 you have 24 cars, yet you ALWAYS know who is going to win (or at least you can bring it down to 4 cars).
4 cars, thts alredy more then two in drag races!

p.s, check out todays qualifing and tell me if u expected anithing like it! (exept the cranky one)

Old 27 Aug 2000, 14:18 (Ref:33054)   #5
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that it's actually 22 cars for the last several years and will be until Toyota in 2002. But then again details details.