Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Sep 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1721094)   #26
Shazza
Rookie

Argentina
Adelaide, Australia
Shazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With its heritage value, it could be a good venue for a Goodwood Revival-type historic festival.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1722436)   #27
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8s were never going back to Lakeside I don't even know why people bring it up. V8Supercar would never race at such a racetrack. Not even for Fujitsu series. Look at Mallala, even with the best will in the world its now dumped, likely permanently. The facilities at Lakeside are pitiful, even before allowing some six years of decay and partial removal.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 00:09 (Ref:1722515)   #28
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's so true.

I went out there a few months ago, basically the entire facilities are decayed beyond repair. What Lakeside essentially is, at the moment, is a racing track surrounded by decayed, unusable buildings that will probably have to be destroyed.

The garages and so on will be OK, but the Coke tower and so on will pretty much need to be razed IMO.

There is not a lot left.

I am just happy the circuit has been "saved", ie. not gone the way of Amaroo. Even if the best we see is historics/QLD Championships/Karts/Driver Training/Drive Days, im happy.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 03:54 (Ref:1722578)   #29
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see Lakeside has at least been spared of the developers fury, unlike Amaroo Park .
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Sep 2006, 04:12 (Ref:1722588)   #30
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wakefield Park,The Paperclip,Winton all have basic attractive facilities that don't look like they cost a fortune,and can be done with time as funds become available.
I really don't understand the static about world class blah blah for V8SC.
Please develop Lakeside to an Cost/Benefit standard [Building materials are cheap its the Real Estate thats outrageous] and not build Mr Burns Executive Washrooms everywhere.
Glad QLD saved Lakeside.A bit of you dies when tracks you have enjoyed go west.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1722695)   #31
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did Tony Longhurst re-launch his career there or was that a blatant typo???
Old 29 Sep 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1723314)   #32
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
V8s were never going back to Lakeside I don't even know why people bring it up. V8Supercar would never race at such a racetrack. Not even for Fujitsu series. Look at Mallala, even with the best will in the world its now dumped, likely permanently. The facilities at Lakeside are pitiful, even before allowing some six years of decay and partial removal.
Because Lakeside is arguably Australia's best motor racing circuit after Mt. Panorama...Queensland's finest in any case so while the head says the V8's won't return the heart yearns to see Australia's best taking the Kink flat or doing a "confidence lift" as John Bowe would say...sorting the boys from the men as it were. Nice to see the place saved from housing development in any case. Perfect venue for the F5000's at a Tasman Revival meeting
Old 30 Sep 2006, 00:15 (Ref:1723415)   #33
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctshirt
Because Lakeside is arguably Australia's best motor racing circuit after Mt. Panorama...Queensland's finest in any case so while the head says the V8's won't return the heart yearns to see Australia's best taking the Kink flat or doing a "confidence lift" as John Bowe would say...sorting the boys from the men as it were. Nice to see the place saved from housing development in any case. Perfect venue for the F5000's at a Tasman Revival meeting
Except that as Queensland Raceway has won the bid, Lakeside will become a AASA circuit, so Tasman revivials, indeed large scale meetings of any kind won't be happening either.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 04:39 (Ref:1723459)   #34
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Except that as Queensland Raceway has won the bid, Lakeside will become a AASA circuit, so Tasman revivials, indeed large scale meetings of any kind won't be happening either.
Next you will be telling me Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real either

From the press release: "Queensland Raceway's winning submission includes a range of driver and motorcycle training activities, milestone and historic racing events, displays and non-motorised recreational activities."

Would the old Tasman Series cars not fit into this description?
Old 30 Sep 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1723586)   #35
scoupe
Rookie

scoupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
7. That Queensland Raceway be requested to consider how PCYC programs could be accommodated.

8. That the PCYC be advised Council is progressing with Queensland Raceway as preferred operator and that Queensland Raceway will be requested to review how PCYC programs could be accommodated.
It also says that QR has to play fair with one of the other bidders but not the third ..... hmmmm
Old 30 Sep 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1723662)   #36
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctshirt
Next you will be telling me Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real either

From the press release: "Queensland Raceway's winning submission includes a range of driver and motorcycle training activities, milestone and historic racing events, displays and non-motorised recreational activities."

Would the old Tasman Series cars not fit into this description?
There are very few such cars here in Queensland. Open wheelers have never been strong here compared to other states, and I'm struggling to remember a single F5000 based in Queensland that has appeared at a race meeting in the last three years by way of example.

Announcing that there will be milestone events does not mean they will happen. I would very much like to see it happen, but it also sounds as if you are sufficiently well informed to be aware of the relationships up here, and interstate, at historic level that would make such a meeting... difficult.

Additionally a Tasman event is likely to be a CAMS event as most of the Tasman cars are aligned to competitors who race at CAMS meetings, is that correct? Presently Lakeside is not a ratified CAMS circuit. At some point the CAMS/AASA rivalry will step in making it harder to get those vehicles to attend. I would hope those competitors might be able to get past such difficulties, but the nature of politics of racing interstate leaves me pesimistic. By way of example, the southern competitors were... disappointing in the numbers which supported the AMRS round up here. If a national series was unable to entice competitors up here, what hope does historics have?

I'd love to see it happen, but I'd also love to have someone be able to raise my hopes from pessimistic. Can you help ease me fears?
Old 30 Sep 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1723800)   #37
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:

I'd love to see it happen, but I'd also love to have someone be able to raise my hopes from pessimistic. Can you help ease me fears?
No - sorry your fears appear to be well grounded. I didn't realise Oz motorsport was in such a divided mixed-up sorry sad state. My humble apologies cause you got some serious issues over there. It really is a miracle Lakeside didn't fall into the clutchs of the housing developers. I guess it's wait and see what happens.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1723885)   #38
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Granted, I'd love to see larger meetings, especially historics go to Lakeside once again. But frankly, if Lakeside is open for any meet, regardless of CAMS or AASA then that's enough to gt excited about...
Old 30 Sep 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1723979)   #39
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
And I'm certainly looking forward to the first Top Gear Classic to be held there.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1724290)   #40
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Lakeside host Rally Australia??
Old 1 Oct 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1724430)   #41
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could suggest that the track is in the right state to host a rally!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1724796)   #42
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
You could suggest that the track is in the right state to host a rally!
Can you elaborate on your comment?
Old 2 Oct 2006, 01:05 (Ref:1724818)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Rev
Can you elaborate on your comment?
Presumably grass growing thru the bitumen is not a good look... and a surface that hasnt been maintained in a dozen years would mean its worse for wear....

... perfect for a WRC rally.. where any surface goes
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Oct 2006, 01:50 (Ref:1724834)   #44
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Head Rev, I gather rdmdog means both condition & location - nice double meaning!

Isn't Lakeside on the south side of Brisbane? That wouldn't be convenient for the rally as I understand, isn't it to be run in the Sunshine coast hinterland area?
Old 2 Oct 2006, 04:43 (Ref:1724894)   #45
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Lakeside is on the northern side of Brisbane, close to accommodation and not far from some ideal rally roads in the Beerburrum forest etc. Ideal Service Park and maybe a special stage within the complex. Food for thought.......
Old 2 Oct 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1725192)   #46
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was talking about the condition of the track, but I do hope to see it up and running again soon.

Some of you might have seen a photo from 1995 or 6 of an idiot sitting on the racing line in a racing helmet up to his armptis in water after a big rain..............

Yours Truely!!!! (wearing Anth Robson's helmet and holdiong the wheel from his FFord)
Old 3 Oct 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1726088)   #47
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Rev
Lakeside is on the northern side of Brisbane, close to accommodation and not far from some ideal rally roads in the Beerburrum forest etc. Ideal Service Park and maybe a special stage within the complex. Food for thought.......

Just 10 mins north of mum & dad's....
Old 3 Oct 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1726089)   #48
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
I was talking about the condition of the track, but I do hope to see it up and running again soon.

Some of you might have seen a photo from 1995 or 6 of an idiot sitting on the racing line in a racing helmet up to his armptis in water after a big rain..............

Yours Truely!!!! (wearing Anth Robson's helmet and holdiong the wheel from his FFord)
There's a photo of me on the dummy grid at Lakeside doing the very same thing! I'll try & figure out how to post it...
Old 3 Oct 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1726414)   #49
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any more news about Lakeside yet?

What sort of work do you think will need to be done before the track is re-opened? A full re-surfacing seems like a MUST to me, the track is breaking up in places and has grass growing through it, it's patchy, etc.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1728836)   #50
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not everybodies pleased.

http://www.questnews.com.au/article/..._prp_news.html