Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2001, 18:56 (Ref:81209)   #1
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THE REAL PROBLEM ----------> montoya comes into the pits. car is ready for refeuling. the feul nozzle gets stuck. lolipop indicated montoya to go on first gear..montoya is ready to release clutch..but the car is stalled. tyre overheats and well its all over. u guys wont like it but it montoya would wait to release the clutch, he could have avoided all the drama except for the feul nozzle.....better luck next time montoya
Old 16 Apr 2001, 19:27 (Ref:81226)   #2
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, Montoya had a clutch led warning some laps before Pits stop. Fuel problem was later at Pits.

Last edited by Speed; 16 Apr 2001 at 19:28.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 21:02 (Ref:81261)   #3
DancingMachine
Racer

there was no clutch problem until he reached the pits..thats all wrong..trust me
Old 16 Apr 2001, 21:17 (Ref:81266)   #4
WilliamsBMWF1
Rookie

WilliamsBMWF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dancing Machine Is Right!

I think you are right also ,I think the team are trying to cover up what was basically a balls up by all concerned.The way he was on the clutch in the pits im not surprised I thought it was an old gradma with a lead foot.I heard it was gearbox that he retired with but this also points to the manner in which the car was brutally treated in that pitstop by the machanics and Juan .
Old 16 Apr 2001, 22:10 (Ref:81294)   #5
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't agree Dancing Machine - at the time I did put the blame down to JPM but if you think back to the pitstop - once the car was restarted (the second time) JPM reved hard whilst up on the jack and the car was in gear when it dropped back down (rember Martin & Murry discussing similarities with Johnny Herberts incident dragging the jack down the pitlane some years ago)

The fact that he had in in gear & reving hard up on the jack leaves me in no doubt that there was a problem !
Old 16 Apr 2001, 22:30 (Ref:81303)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by DancingMachine
there was no clutch problem until he reached the pits..thats all wrong..trust me
Let me guess: TGF's best friend told you, right?
Quite frankly, I would prefer the Williams team's version that was reported in autorace.com.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 00:59 (Ref:81348)   #7
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help but wonder if most of the problem lays w/ JPM? He was having trouble getting to the front of the pack, pulls in for his first pit stop, gets excited....baam, done, that simple.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 01:18 (Ref:81350)   #8
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
I don't understand why is the attack against JPM, but anyways, everybody is free to say what they think...
Now, this is the other side of the story:
Pablo Montoya (Juan Pablos's father), got live-communication with some radio broadcasts in Colombia (Caracol and RCN), and five laps before JPM's second Pits stop, he (PM) advised that JPM noticed a clutch warning from his cockpit led's. People at Williams' Pit was conscious about this problem before second fuel-tyres loading. The cherry on top of Montoyas' ice cream was the fuel supplier's stuck.

But you can assume anything you want...
Old 17 Apr 2001, 01:52 (Ref:81358)   #9
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep,

I was also listening to R.C.N. and J.P.M´s old man did come on the air to share with listeners the ominous news about the clutch warning.

Juan Pablo was doing well moving up the pack. The way he passed Truli was memorable...Mika found Truli much more of a challenge...and you have to remember that J.P.M had very little time to set up his car due to gremlins during practice. Indeed, he did well to qualify seventh under the circumstances.

It all seems pretty clear, but you´ll take out whatever you want to believe when it comes down to it.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 02:45 (Ref:81373)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Williams press release:

Juan Pablo Montoya - DNF (stop on lap 49)
This is what JPM said:
"Again I could not finish the race and again I am disappointed.
When I stopped for my second pit-stop I had a problem with the
clutch and I could not get anymore gears. I went out of the pits
but I was stuck in first gear and all I could do was drive back into
the garage. We've been quite unlucky so far but these things
happen. I am very pleased for Ralf's victory, anyway."
Old 17 Apr 2001, 02:57 (Ref:81374)   #11
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
The clutch-warning story I'm telling you is an out-of-the-records comment made by JPM's father at live through "Radio Caracol" and "RCN". And this comment was made 5 laps before second fuel stop. We didn't get this info because we didn't have access to that broadcast transmission. Personally, I think, this will be another case for the X-files folks, because no one at BMW wants to give any extra explanation to the public opinion about their technical difficulties.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 20:41 (Ref:81715)   #12
DancingMachine
Racer

nop valve bounce..i know a lot more friends than schuis' best friend..n they all live in formula 1...i cant say my news is official but like montoya says he had the clutch problem in the pits n not 45 laps before..
Old 18 Apr 2001, 02:09 (Ref:81811)   #13
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the reason, so far it's Ralf= 4 vs CART Juan=0 in qualifying and Ralf 12 vs CART Juan 0 in points and 1 Ralf victory vs none for Juan. It seems to me Ralf is giving him a sound trashing so far.

A real promising rookie racer would be like Villenueve vs Damon in Jacques first year.

CART Juan will make a nice new exhibit for Ralf's "Zanardi museum" by season's end.

Old 18 Apr 2001, 02:32 (Ref:81821)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RT
Whatever the reason, so far it's Ralf= 4 vs CART Juan=0 in qualifying and Ralf 12 vs CART Juan 0 in points and 1 Ralf victory vs none for Juan. It seems to me Ralf is giving him a sound trashing so far.

A real promising rookie racer would be like Villenueve vs Damon in Jacques first year.

CART Juan will make a nice new exhibit for Ralf's "Zanardi museum" by season's end.

Have you forgotten that Montoya put in a magnificent performance at Sepang before he was punted off by Jos?? Don't bag JPM, he is a great driver also, and unless you want to join the Dino and AMoffat putsch, I'd suggest you take a good long look at JPM's performances so far this year. (I mean the tapes of the 4 races). You cannot blame JPM when the car breaks down!! or some other driver punts him off when he is leading comfortably.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 04:42 (Ref:81834)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think there may be some validity in RT's point. But as someone famous once said. "There are lies, damn lies and statistics".

But we always need to compare and therefore we can go back to Senna and Micheal Andretti for a comparison (I mean Andretti/JPM not Senna/Ralf). In 1993 they were both in an average car but Andretti just couldn't make a decent "fist" of it and some of the retirements were not of his doing.

Ralf/Zanardi was nothing less than a walk over for the German.

JV/Hill was a good example of a driver at the top of his game pushing the established driver.

I know JPM is better than AZ but he might not get the right amount of luck. Still he's only started 4 races so far.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 12:45 (Ref:81931)   #16
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Speed in the information that Juan's father gave to our local radio broadcasters, he was having clutch problems before he entered pits. As for the Ralf better than Montoya thing, well he has more points but Montoya has been on the points in every race, in Australia he was 3 when he retired, then in sepang he started in the points and he had the mechanical problem, and I think he was somwhere around the points in Interlagos, HE WAS FIRST, and on imola 5th. So he has done good performances.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 16:38 (Ref:81998)   #17
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I recall, there were plenty of excuses made for Zanardi and how it was his "really" first season since the cars had changed so much after his comeback, and how the cars had falied to perform or fit his driving.

At the end of the day, losing is losing and Juan is starting to look like a tropical version of Zanardi with an attitude.....but not more talent.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 21:38 (Ref:82114)   #18
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Harsh call Big Fella, harsh call.

I read this twice 'cause I thought you were talking about Ralf
Old 18 Apr 2001, 21:46 (Ref:82117)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
You cannot blame JPM when the car breaks down!! or some other driver punts him off when he is leading comfortably.
Absolutely. Why do so many of you here belittle what JPM has achieved, his performances on track have been superb so far and if he had been a little more lucky he would be ahead of Ralf on points right now.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 21:52 (Ref:82119)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RT,

Are you really comparing JPM with AZ ?

I mean, comparing performances ?

I'm not JPM's or whoelse supporter but...

Driver GP Win Pole F.L. Pod. F.Row L.Laps Points

A.Zanardi 41 - - - - - 0 1
J.P.Montoya 4 - - - - - 14 0
Old 18 Apr 2001, 21:53 (Ref:82120)   #21
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DancingMachine
nop valve bounce..i know a lot more friends than schuis' best friend..n they all live in formula 1...i cant say my news is official but like montoya says he had the clutch problem in the pits n not 45 laps before..

oh my God, you know so many people... can I be your friend?

does he get on everybody's nerves or is it just me?

C
- sorry, in a bad(ish) mood
Old 18 Apr 2001, 21:58 (Ref:82121)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Arghhh !!!! This thing doesn't work !!!

Here goes:

Zanardi : 41 GPs, Points scored 1, Wins 0, P. Position 0,
Leading races : 0.

JPM :4 GPs, Points scored 0, Wins 0, P. Position 0,
Leading races : 36 (155 Km).

That's beyond comparision !
Old 18 Apr 2001, 21:59 (Ref:82122)   #23
Shaun
Rookie

Shaun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think Juan is having a good rookie season in F1 and if nothing else happens he is like a breath of fresh air.

He himself says that his overtaking is nothing special as it happens all the time in Champ car racing. Hopefully some of the other drivrs might start to try to gt past their rivals instead of waiting for the overtaking in the pit stop times. Already we have seen David get past Michael and if a few more drivers start to believe in themselves then we may start to have more competitive racing.
Old 19 Apr 2001, 00:45 (Ref:82159)   #24
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shaun ,

I totaly agree. He is, indeed, a long needed breath of fresh air.
Old 19 Apr 2001, 01:09 (Ref:82163)   #25
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
Bononi,

I see your math. All I'm saying is that at the same stage of Zanardi's return, there were similar excuses made and........

To add to this, let's remember that some of Zanardi's manouvers and races in CART showed a lot of elan and risk-taking, he could be awesome!!. In spite of this, we know what happened when he returned to F1.

There will always be the spectacular manouver or pass but they are not enough for a WC in F1. Discipline and consistency will win out every time and Juan has little of those compared to Ralf.

I'd like to quote Rudolf Caracciola, one of the true "OLD MASTERS"

"Youthful impetuousness and courage are not enough, nor is the will to succeed. To be a driver means that one must be part of the machine for hours......"

IMHO it is this "unity" of feel with the machine that may appear robotic but is the main weapon of the Schumachers and a key to their success.

Tags
jpm