Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jan 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1809897)   #76
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s
Creation suffered many problems in 2004 and if you research them you will find that close to, if not all, had nothing to do with the Zytek engine. They had oil pump issues, gearchange issues and radiator problems - none of these were contributable to Zytek.
I doubt somehow that the assertion was incompletely researched.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 8 Jan 2007, 22:01 (Ref:1809982)   #77
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
04S - word to the wise - When in a hole..........................
Dig?...........somebody help me out here......!

PS. Got to give it to me though, when it comes to stirring up a beehive.....
Old 8 Jan 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1810002)   #78
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
come on 04s who are you? - perhaps a mechanic for the zytek race team?......you seem to be heavily defending the zytek package.......there have been some interesting comments since my earlier note - interesting about the creation ancillary problems - exactly what I would expect from a flat plane V8 engine that shakes the chassis to hell and back.

Now Zytec are a business and I'm sure they must? be willing to sell the 4.0 V8 engine to teams for placement in other LMP1 chassis?.......I wonder how many teams are looking at the 4.0 V8 motor based on its performances and reputation so far?........this is exactly why the vast majority of the pack run 5.0 V10's .......soon to be 5.5's........the engine capacity is DIRECTLY linked to the amount of torque produced - this is exactly whats needed for hauling along cars with massive aero loads. the restrictor size combined with the engine capacity keeps all power levels about same........but the bigger the engine capacity - the greater the torque - the lower the revs - the lower the fuel consumption, the better the reliability.

In a blatant attempt to plug my company again www.knightecengineering.com I would also like to add that if anyone (the likes of Mr Elleray & co) would like any engine feasability studies conducted on a cost effective V8 or V10 5.5 Litre DIESEL LMP1 motor using donor cylinder heads, injection equipment and pistons from modern high cylinder pressure Diesel engines - you know how to get hold of me.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1810030)   #79
Aerodynamic
Rookie

Aerodynamic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread has gone far enough from its original topic.

Lets drop the current furore and focus on the question originally proposed - Which team has bought the Zytec 06S?

My answer is god only knows, I just hope it is someone who can provide some oppo to Audi.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 23:50 (Ref:1810058)   #80
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gotta agree with you aerodynamic. Would love to see a couple radical and zytecks added to LMP2 and at least 1 Zytek over here for the 07 season. And would love to see Zytek work something out with the ACO to run a hybrid-electric in either series and the 24 Hour. I know the merits of hybrid electric can be debated in terms of carbon-usage but hey any new technology into the series creates more excitement. And I know it could make sportscar racing look a little like F1 but instead of speedy laps, the hybrid could possibly run slightly slower but better fuel economy and make up time out of the pits. It seems to work at Le Mans, the less time in the pits for stops the further up the running order, just look at the Panoz(was it LNT, cant remember the exact order right now)
Old 9 Jan 2007, 01:21 (Ref:1810089)   #81
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodynamic
My answer is god only knows
Wow, if it is all happening at that level, then the answer can only be AJ Foyt! "Bout time he got back into sports cars and it is the 40 th anniverary year of the win at LeMans!

very sorry, there was no way I could help myself.

robert
Old 9 Jan 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1810399)   #82
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might seem a bit silly this and im prepared to be blasted down but i keep having a niggling feeling..They mention a good team with good drivers.. Now I know they are planning on going to lemans with a Saleen but maybe ORECA fancy a 2 car effort LMP1 Zytek and GT1 Saleen ???
Old 9 Jan 2007, 16:28 (Ref:1810508)   #83
mgrs
Rookie

Wales
mgrs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please dont compare the Creation team to Zytek/Jota? The difference in class is monumental!

On this V8/V10 quibble; i belive that the v10 is more powerfull, but there are so many more factors in motor-racing that can even these things out, weight, aero package, and the performance of the rest of the team.

but on the subject of power; look at the last few races, leguna in particular, on the start & restarts jonny and stefan were able to "fly" past others, creation Audi and Porsche (unless im mistaken, my view of this race was a fairly busy one, but i remember the moves, might have got the cars wrong, but i dont think so). So you may say that the V10 is more powerful, but it got blasted on several occasions by the V8, but who cares whos got the most powerful engine, its outright acceleration and race pace that matters in the end, and ive got to say the little V8 Zytek has been one of the best this year (it also soulds cracking).

On the subject of reliability, the ultimate test is Lemans, i think youll find that the Zytek Engine suffered no problems during the race, but the Judd guys were fairly busy throughout! the Zytek performance was not anything to base that car or any future zyteks performance on, there were so many other factors (namly money and testing - it had bugger all) its true colours showed at donnington and in the states were, if it were not for another group of unfortunate factors, you could say that the car was well on for a win in each race. Donnington - a part faliure well out of Zyteks hands. Atlanta - Stefan had those Audis, but the puncture and resulting body work damage ended that one. Leguna, By far the fastest car, but an unfair penalty (30 secs) at the start (the ferrari) and then the 1.30 min pen ended the cars final chance to reward itself for its obvious speed.

the 07s will no doubt be as fast (probably quicker, definatly quicker!) and will live up to the record that the 04s set (and in my mind beat it).,

Aint that right Colin

Please ignor typos, as ive only had a few moments to write this and had alot to get accros.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 16:34 (Ref:1810515)   #84
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrs
but on the subject of power; look at the last few races, leguna in particular, on the start & restarts jonny and stefan were able to "fly" past others, creation Audi and Porsche (unless im mistaken, my view of this race was a fairly busy one, but i remember the moves, might have got the cars wrong, but i dont think so). So you may say that the V10 is more powerful, but it got blasted on several occasions by the V8, but who cares whos got the most powerful engine, its outright acceleration and race pace that matters in the end, and ive got to say the little V8 Zytek has been one of the best this year (it also soulds cracking).
A couple of observations (I was there also and have it on tape). The Creation car did a fair job against the R10 coming out of Turn 11, despite the fact that the Creation car has less traction due to the 675 size tires. The smaller tires would also affect it's acceleration when compared to the Zytek. Even then, it wasn't smoked out of Turn 11 by the Zytek either. I still marvel at the fact that Minassian got as close as he did to the Zytek's pole time on narrower tires.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1810517)   #85
mgrs
Rookie

Wales
ive got one word for you Jhansen - Drag.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1810518)   #86
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
ive got one word for you Jhansen - Drag.
At Lemans or Petit maybe, but not at Laguna. The extra traction should play into the Zytek's hands. Laguna doesn't really have a straight in the traditional sense.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1810523)   #87
mgrs
Rookie

Wales
you would be amazed, really - the advantage of those tyres on a single lap is great anywhere. just a very poor choice for endurance racing, ill hand it to Nic Minas though, when trying to beat the Zyteks pole time, he was proper gunning it, sideways everywhere Loeb Style, great to watch.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1810526)   #88
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
you would be amazed, really - the advantage of those tyres on a single lap is great anywhere. just a very poor choice for endurance racing, ill hand it to Nic Minas though, when trying to beat the Zyteks pole time, he was proper gunning it, sideways everywhere Loeb Style, great to watch.
Yes, very true, Minassian should get the credit in that situation. And it was great to watch.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 19:04 (Ref:1810627)   #89
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do love how its never in Zyteks hands when they have problems. Im sure EVERY team could say that
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1811316)   #90
jaysalv
Veteran

England
romford essex
jaysalv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bit late with this post but im sure we will see team jota out fairly soon and it would be good to see another great english team having some involvement with the lemans series . after they had a good crack at it in 2005
Old 11 Jan 2007, 23:20 (Ref:1812833)   #91
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engines of Zytek and Creation where not the same ,Zytek had a newer spec (it differed even in the engine mounts to the chassis(heads) and the Cooling layout,thats why Creation always had to run those extra vents in the sidepots)
Every time i was present in the Creation pit and the engine was started ZyteK
personel were present ,Notebook plugged in. ...Creation may have had a well used car but they made it to the grid and at least showed speed and fighting spirit in their first year.The Zytek work car did always shine when preent ,but had reliability issues as well most of the time.
I guess in 06 the small tyre choice were more or less a budget driven decision
for creation (Rims,suspension and Bodywork plus engine conversion plu hybridisation...) at least they found reliability in 06 plus a proper sponsor/partner for the future .

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s
This is simply untrue.

You have got completely the wrong end of the stick. What I am saying is that the preparation that went into the Creation car was not done to the same standard as the Zytek car (apart from the engine where it was exactly the same) A car is not made up of chassis and engine only remember. I am in no way saying that Zytek provided duff components - I would like to make this very clear.

Creation suffered many problems in 2004 and if you research them you will find that close to, if not all, had nothing to do with the Zytek engine. They had oil pump issues, gearchange issues and radiator problems - none of these were contributable to Zytek.

Is the 5.5L Judd going to be that different this year.....time will tell, how much further can you push an engine that has been going under developement for quite a period of time?......again time will tell.

One thing is for sure, the Zytek 07S with the 4.0L V8 is bound to be a very competitive car when in the right hands.

Oh and for the record. Clearly the 4.0l will be down on torque - however what it lacks in torque, it more than makes up for in reliability, fuel consumption and weight.

edited to get the quoting right - p-c
Old 15 Jan 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1815769)   #92
Antho
Rookie

Cuba
Antho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no news about the private team who will enter the 07S in Le Mans Series... but you can see the pictures CAD of the Zytek 07S.

http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=3049

(sorry, it's in french ;-)
Old 15 Jan 2007, 17:41 (Ref:1815843)   #93
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just looks exactly the same to me, although the front splitter does look different.

i.e it has a large central section which sticks out more prominently than on the 06S, or is this just the angle of the CAD render's?

but it looks the same and that aint a bad thing at all
Old 15 Jan 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1815855)   #94
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Im not sure i like it , and im not sure i like the idea of a new chassis looking like the old one !!! imo .....
Old 15 Jan 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1815915)   #95
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if it aint broke don't fix it!

Appears to be mainly detail changes. Really don't like those 'witches hat' roll over points. I think the louvres between the wheel pontoons and side pods are new aren't they?

Sure it'll be nice and fast!
Old 15 Jan 2007, 20:11 (Ref:1815941)   #96
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
- English version (my translation - could be a little dodgy)

At first glance, and as they (Zytek) had announced, the 07s retains a great deal of the characteristics of the 06s, except for the twin roll hoops, styled in a similar fashion to those on the Audi and the Courage.

However many other changes have been made, notably the central monocoque that the team has been working on. The forward bodywork appears to be more curvy than before, hugging the mechanical components more tightly, as is shown by the appearance of another small "bump", something that was not there in 2006. The mound/bump infront of the driver appears to have been altered as well, it seems to be less conical and more streamlined.

Behind the driver, the engine cover is also more defined and appears to "hug" the mechanical components underneath it more closely, improving the aerodynamics at the rear of the car.

Finally it is worth noting the existance of a single air intake. It will be 46,8mm as opposed to the twin 33.4mm ones used in 2006

I hope this helps a little bit.

PS. I have heard news of the private team who have purchased the 07S. If it is true, expect it to be near the front of any grid next year!
Old 15 Jan 2007, 20:15 (Ref:1815945)   #97
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd guess by the roll over structure, that ATR is making the new tubs.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1816037)   #98
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
I think the louvres between the wheel pontoons and side pods are new aren't they?
No they're not you idiot, look at the pic of the old car!!!
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1817304)   #99
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Herring or Turkey. Hope i'm wrong and an announcement comes soon. With top drivers the 07S should be right up there.