Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Oct 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1119139)   #1
petaczarina
Rookie

petaczarina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Chilton and the BTTC Stars!

Hello

Im new to this forum and thought that a great place to start would be to post my very own new topic!

As a sixteen year old girl going on to seventeen I am now a massive fan of touring car racing I recently started to become a fan of touring cars in early June when touring car driver tom chilton appeared on the childrens tv show minstry of mayhem. I admire tom chiltron he's like got so much confidance which is great when ur about to start a race!

I havent actually been to a btcc race yet but I was just wondering if any of you have and whether u may have had fan encounters with your favourite btcc drivers, and if you have why not tell me about it by posting your messaage!

Hope your all well
Seeya Peta
Old 8 Oct 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1119278)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's got enough confidence...just sometimes it can appear as being a bit cocky.

He's good on his day but usually seems to be inconsistant.

Can I just check what you mean by 'fan encounters'...?
Old 8 Oct 2004, 21:42 (Ref:1119302)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Peta and welcome to Ten-Tenths. Do you live in the UK and if so will it be possible for you to get to a BTCC meeting next year?

Many of us have had the chance to meet some of the BTCC drivers over the years, some through marshalling and some through pit lane walkabouts etc. We even have a few of the drivers visit ten-tenths sometimes. James Kaye is a member along with two or three others.
Old 8 Oct 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1119306)   #4
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum
Old 8 Oct 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1119336)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been extremely lucky in the past due to my dads work and sponsors to have been able to meet people like Tom Chilton (very friendly guy) Aaron Slight who is extremely down to earth considering his World Superbike status and great fun. Shown around Aarons car and James Thompsons who also invited me to watch the race from inside his pit garage with the team and too me round Snetterton circuit in a Honda in 2000. And met Rob Huff this year who was really friendly and you could tell he thouroughly was enjoying every moment of his racing and respected his fans alot.

There are some very nice and genuine drivers out there which is what helps make the championship as popular as it is
Old 8 Oct 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1119339)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
LOL - well Chilton gets points with us for sense of humour. The "boys" took him a very special photo to sign when he was at Mondello this year.........

The picture is of Mr. Chilton's car on its side with our very own MagnetOn holding him into the car so he didn't fall out.

Not only did he laugh, he autographed them (the other marshal, Jonathan, brought one over too). Full marks
Old 9 Oct 2004, 16:48 (Ref:1119807)   #7
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've met most of the drivers, got the 01, 02, and 03 DVDs signed by the champion from that year. They all seem like nice down-to-earth guys.
Old 9 Oct 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1119873)   #8
petaczarina
Rookie

Hello Everyone and firstly thanks for making me feel welcome at the forum its much appericated! (soz about wrong spellings lol)

Firstly touringlegend by fan encounters I meant has anyone ever actually met any btcc stars? and if why not share it with me and everyone else.

I would just love to go to a race, but since I only became a fan in late june I sort of left it to late to go a see a race. Plus I really dont know how it works, do u need a ticket or something? Anyhows I would love to know what tom chilton is like cos i hear people sayin he's big headed and spoilt...but im not sure if its true......I just really love the fact that this guy is only 19..u know? and yet he's got just a much skills as the other btcc drivers do...Ive been watching the races on itv and he seems quick on the track all the time.

So if anyones has met tom chilton...whats his personality like? how did he get into touring cars? um does he have a girlfriend?

Also I think dan eaves is great he seems to be doing well doesn't he?

I just wish that I could meet the btcc stars I have soo much to ask them. I probably go dead shy though lol im quite a shy girl.

Anyhows I better go ive got homework to do for college on monday. Its great to talk to people with the same interests as me...cos all my friends are dead girlishy not into motorsport at all. I may be girlishy (well im only 17) but i love motosport.

seeya Peta
Old 9 Oct 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1119886)   #9
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peta - welcome to the Ten-Tenths board. Join the 'young-guns' club, im 16 going on 17...

Well, im sure if you ever read Tim Harveys comments after Toms first race Tim won't be on your xmas list...For me, John George has to be one of the nicest drivers. He recently did an interview for my website, very helpful, very friendly, and as he is a member of Ten-Tenths always comes in and has a chat, really nice atmosphere.

Paul O'Neill, Jason Plato, Reidy are also high on my list. To be honest, I think 9 times out of 10 most of the drivers are happy to chat, autograph...etc, just down to what sort of day they are having.

Brands for me is the best track...but its a long trip for you! But if you go to the any of the races next year, hear the cars start up, 15 odd cars fighting over 1 corner, its the most amazing thing your ever experience!
Old 9 Oct 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1119887)   #10
petaczarina
Rookie

Hi

Just a quick post to Stephen Green..First off hello ive only just read ur message that you left for me. And yes I do live in the uk i live in a town called stockport which is near manchester. I would love to go to a btcc meeting but i am not sure what will happen, where it is, etc. Wow i didnt know the actually drivers come onto this forum how great is that its like interacting with the fans brilliant!

anyhow hope your well.
Seeya later Peta
Old 9 Oct 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1119895)   #11
petaczarina
Rookie

Hello spark msport soz about im age i just thought this was a decent forum that allowed anyone to chat about there favourite motosports.

So john george is nice? he seems nice when they show him on telly most of the time he always has a smilely face! which is dead cheerful which is great!

What do mean about tim harvey's comments on tom chiltons first race? i dont understand what did he say exactly?

well seeya
Peta
Old 9 Oct 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1119904)   #12
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes you need to buy a ticket to get into the BTCC meetings but you usually can on the gate.
I have met some of the BTCC guys at signings etc at the meetings and Tom a couple of other times also, mainly from when he was driving T Cars. He did some karting when he was younger and then moved onto T Cars at 14 i think. He then did a couple of years in that before driving in a Barwell Motorsport Astra when he was 17, then a Civic last year as well as this year, but check out www.tomchilton.com and its a bit more indepth! I live quite near to him so have seen him around but never to talk to but he seems like a really good bloke. Not sure about the girlfriend one though!
Old 10 Oct 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1120122)   #13
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
Tom is a fast driver, just has this Massa/Sato style of driving and normally finish's the race with some bodywork missing.

Tom 'pushed' Tim off on the final lap to take his first top 3 finish in his first race, it was one of those things, I think Tom just braked a little bit too late and used Tim to stop himself ending up in the gravel trap...didn't Toca have a few words tho?

Last edited by SPARK Msport; 10 Oct 2004 at 08:10.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 13:58 (Ref:1120321)   #14
TTRMotorsport
Racer

TTRMotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know Tom & Reid Very nice chaps very down to earth and polite.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1120351)   #15
petaczarina
Rookie

Hi everyone

So now the btcc season is over I wonder if there'll be a greet and meet thing going on..u know meet ur favourite btcc drivers or something.

Who would u all love to meet?

I would love to speak to jason plato (he seems a dead friendly chap!)or possibly matt neal cos he what 6ft3 (god im only 5ft2) and of course I would love to chat to tom chilton.

Are any of the drivers big headed at all? Or are they down to earth and respect the public who admire and Watch them?

What are pit lane walkabouts? do u have 2 pay to walk around them?

seeya Peta
Old 10 Oct 2004, 18:15 (Ref:1120425)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suggest you wait for the new season in April 2005 and get along to the races for yourself.

You're never going to get an experience unless it happens to you.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1120427)   #17
petaczarina
Rookie

right, thanks
Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1120554)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Visit the marshals forum - find out how to see the races for free AND meet the drivers. Mind you, they're usually not in a very good mood when we meet them....
Old 11 Oct 2004, 15:54 (Ref:1121163)   #19
petaczarina
Rookie

What do u mean? That the drivers aren't always in a good mood or the marshalls?
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1121185)   #20
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
Have you seen any form of racing at a track?

like touringlegend said, you sound like the sort of person who needs to see these cars for real and to get a feeling of the atmosphere and the smells...etc

For me, I think Reidy is a Legend in his own right. Raced around the world, done very well everywhere he's gone...one of these drivers that really deserves to win the BTCC title just always missed out at the last moment.

I think earlier in the year Tom was on Speed Sunday and he said Touring Car racing wasn't something he will stick at as he hopes to race in Sports Cars (Le Mans) in a few years time.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1121215)   #21
petaczarina
Rookie

Right SPARK MSport theres no need to hanve a go at me! I was only asking a question! Yeah so im not a hard core fan like you but I only got into touring cars in june and that thanks to tom chilton appearing on the minstry of mayhem (a kids tv show) so im only just beginning to learn about it, and so what? if I havent been to an live race Ive watched them on telly and thats also a great experience to see the action up close on screen so it may not be live but at least i actually get to see the whole race not just part of it as a touring car flys past me around a corner!

And also I happen to think Tom Chilton's an excellent driver...as he's only 19 and he's achieved so much compared to other drivers twice his age! and also I joined this forum to talk and share opinions about touring cars not to critise people like your doing to me all the time!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:47 (Ref:1121221)   #22
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
:confused: I wasn't being rude...just saying you should really go and see these cars racing as you sound like a person dying to see them up, close and personal.

I don't mean to be say anything out of place, you asked a question and i'm just putting my personal answer... :confused:

Last edited by SPARK Msport; 11 Oct 2004 at 16:49.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1121231)   #23
petaczarina
Rookie

oh right ok then sorry I thought u were being nasty to me because I dont know as much about touring car races as u clearly do, i can't help if im a rookie at this, I would love 2 see a race but now the seasons over I'll have to wait wont I? I was just hoping there would be like a meet and greet thing..u know see your idol/hero touring car drivers or something...wonder what they'll be all doing now the racing season is over..probably takin a well earned brake...
Old 11 Oct 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1121263)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are often several BTCC drivers at Autosport International in January.

Over the winter racing drivers have many things to do - gym work, testing, finding sponsors, finding a drive etc. Some of the touring car drivers even have a "proper job" to go to.

It's not really much of a break!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1121299)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
peta - marshals deal with accidents at racing. When you watch on the TV and see the folks in the orange jumpsuits, that's us!

The reason the drivers tend to be in a less than good mood when they meet us is that they've just come off during a race!