Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 26 Jan 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1210236)   #1
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for Anglesey

Motorsport News had today confirmed that Anglesey has got planning permission to build the new state of the art circuit that will nearly double to 2.02 miles.

They plan to have the new circuit ready for April 2006.

Well done Richard Peacock

Old 26 Jan 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1210257)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent.

Could it then host F3/BTCC style meetings?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1210266)   #3
Redracer77
Veteran

The plan is to get these events in the future if the price is right.

The only downside to the rebuild is that they will not use School Corner - Has to be one of the best corners in UK motorsport?

Last edited by Redracer77; 26 Jan 2005 at 12:04.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1210269)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
The only downside to the rebuild is that they will not use School Corner - Has to be one of the best corners in UK motorsport?
I'll be sorry to lose the existing hairpin. It's my favourite corner on any of the circuits I visit.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1210271)   #5
Redracer77
Veteran

I'll be glad to see the back of that hairpin!!! But they plan to have 2 hairpins after the long straights to help overtaking so you will have 2 other marshalling posts to choose from Dave.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1210273)   #6
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Excellent News!

The superb Anglesey Racing Circuit is used for several sprint week-ends. In conversation with Richard Peacock back in June 2004 he said that when the alterations were completed there would be 'up to 4 different sprint layouts available'. The fact that the planning permission has been granted is the first step on the way to a truely wonderful facility.

The British Sprint Championship organisers will be planning to run TWO rounds of the championship at Anglesey Racing Circuit over the one week-end. This is excellent news!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1210304)   #7
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new layouts are in a brochure, available from the circuit and one is enclosed with the NW FF1600 newsletter, which is going out today in the post.

And still the majority of clubs, championships and drivers prefer to avoid going there. Strange???????????????????
Old 26 Jan 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1210311)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a lovely track, and the news of the improvements is great news. But it is still a bit out of the way...
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1210349)   #9
Redracer77
Veteran

Depends where you live Ian?

After OP and Donington it is the 3rd closest circuit to the North West. I am sure it would be quicker than going to Knockhill for most people and all TOCA used to go there?

If the circuit is a belter then people will travel anywhere? How many people go to Spa in a year?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1210351)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I live in the middle of the country and it takes longer to get to than Mallory, Donington, Silverstone, Rockingham, Oulton, Combe, Thruxton, Cadwell and Croft and about the same as Snetterton, Brands Hatch or Pembrey. So it isn't what I would call convenient. In particular, it isn't in a great location as far as spectators are concerned, which would be a major negative factor as far as the BTCC is concerned, for example.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1210362)   #11
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Would the TOCA organisers be bothered about spectators, as they get paid by the circuits to take their circus there? They also get the TV money.
And the keen spectators would go and benefit from a fantastic coastal setting and plentiful and reasonable accomodation in a tourist haven.
Don't forget that the F3, TOCA, GT type spekkies would travel to watch what they perceive to be top class racing, but wouldn't deign to set foot in Mallory to watch a clubby even if they lived in Earl Shiltton
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1210374)   #12
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If the circuit is a belter then people will travel anywhere? How many people go to Spa in a year?
After advertising, networking, promoting and general arm-twisting for an Ff1600 class within the Mono race last year - I think the number was FIVE, plus I took a Zetec.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1210376)   #13
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, SIX (I forgot Hugh Robertson).
Old 26 Jan 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1210382)   #14
Redracer77
Veteran

I meant in general terms through all formula/championships
Old 26 Jan 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1210389)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
But it is still a bit out of the way...
For us, it's about the same distance as Silverstone. Not a difficult choice!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1210392)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
But they plan to have 2 hairpins after the long straights to help overtaking
But I doubt if they'll have the same understeer-inducing camber which makes the existing one so entertaining!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1210407)   #17
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Double Headers

Currently the British Sprint Championship goes there in June with the superb Chester Motor Club. The week-end runs as two seperate meetings and currently the Sprint Championship Round is on Sunday. Most of the competitors in the championship do the Saturday event, treating it as an extended practice day. This year we had competitors from the Orkneys, Devon, Sussex and Yorkshire in attendance for both days. If people are willing to travel those sort of distances for just one round, think of the turn-out for two rounds.

I am based in the North West and although it is easy for me to get there I still think the circuit will prove very popular. The large entries for the sprints prove that already and I for one can't wait for the revised layouts to become available.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1210632)   #18
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Excellent.

Could it then host F3/BTCC style meetings?
Brilliant underrated circuit hope ARP come and visit . Would love a double header there .Hope the pit wall might be a little more sheltered than it is .Great for suntan.But not good in south westerly winds and rain. What a pity to lose school bend though .
Old 26 Jan 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1210646)   #19
Ian Sowman
Veteran

School Bend will still be used for most club meetings, according to the write up, with a 1.18-mile layout being used.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1210736)   #20
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
School Bend will still be used for most club meetings, according to the write up, with a 1.18-mile layout being used.
Not School Corner as we know it Ian, just the part that runs from the exit to Abbots [which is no longer a corner, as the track now goes straight on.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1210741)   #21
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Well, the map in MN is misleading then (not for the first time).
Old 26 Jan 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1210788)   #22
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Email richard.peacock@bodorgan.com to send you a brochure. I've sent all the ones I had out [and like the prat I am, even forgot to keep one for myself]
Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1211660)   #23
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Depends where you live Ian?

After OP and Donington it is the 3rd closest circuit to the North West. I am sure it would be quicker than going to Knockhill for most people and all TOCA used to go there?

No it isn't.....

Croft is nearer, but then, I would go to both of them anyway.....

Old 28 Jan 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1211870)   #24
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Improved Access

The road links to Anglesey Racing Circuit have certainly improved since my first visit in 1995. The journey time has been cut by the best part of half an hour and with more improvements scheduled for the A55 it can only get better.

With careful planning and less haste I feel sure the circuit will attract the spectators and competitors alike. The worst thing that could happen would be for a major series to visit the circuit before all the necessary work is completed. However with Richard Peacock involved I am confident that the venture will progress steadily.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1212515)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I am sure it would be quicker than going to Knockhill for most people and all TOCA used to go there?

Well Toca & the F3/GT's folks have to go past Ty Croes to get to Mondello - and we don't hear them moaning that that circuit is out of the way!

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 29 Jan 2005 at 10:19.