Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Feb 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3023452)   #1
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival

Goodwood has confirmed that in appearance and on track will be the Mercedes-Benz W25, W125, W154 and W165, and examples of the Auto Union Type C and Type D racing alongside other period GP cars.

Old 9 Feb 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3023541)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Goodwood Revival

Includes 50 years of AC Cobra and a display of the silver arrows.
Old 9 Feb 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3023658)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Can't wait for it to come round.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3024112)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
A Pre War race,Can't be all bad.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3024126)   #5
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
A Pre War race,Can't be all bad.
Does anybody know what the 2012 Goodwood Racecard looks like ?
nothing published on the website

I know about the Cobra race (yawn, one make...)
Formula Junior will be front engined this year

does anybody know the scope of the pre war race ?

which kind of smaller sports car race ?

Formula 1, what kind ? last year was 1,5 litre V8s + the inevitable separate front engined race, this year ?

Rudolf
Old 10 Feb 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3024172)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Pre War Sports cars!
Old 10 Feb 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3024180)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
cool, look forward to that . . . and 50's tin tops

It won't be this year, but the Fordwater trophy with all the British oddities of the late 50's and early 60's is always a good race.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3024199)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
It won't be this year, but the Fordwater trophy with all the British oddities of the late 50's and early 60's is always a good race.
Like Tornado Talisman and Gilbern GT?
Old 11 Feb 2012, 08:27 (Ref:3024474)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
funnily enough Mike, yes! GInettas, elites, GSM's, marcos, spridgets etc
Old 13 Feb 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3025280)   #10
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How much does it cost to spectate at this event for the 3 days? I need to tell a friend who wants to come. He seems to think it is £600 or so - all I can see from the website is an entry ticket for 3 days costs £117 and if one wants to sit in a grandstand another £136.00 - am I right in thinking the entry ticket allows one to the infield from where one can see the cars in the paddock (he can borrow an armband to get into the paddock if he really wants). Have I missed something?
Marcus
Old 13 Feb 2012, 15:08 (Ref:3025287)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think there is infield viewing at Goodwood because of the aircraft landing and taking off etc.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3025289)   #12
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
How much does it cost to spectate at this event for the 3 days? I need to tell a friend who wants to come. He seems to think it is £600 or so - all I can see from the website is an entry ticket for 3 days costs £117 and if one wants to sit in a grandstand another £136.00 - am I right in thinking the entry ticket allows one to the infield from where one can see the cars in the paddock (he can borrow an armband to get into the paddock if he really wants). Have I missed something?
Marcus
I've only been once - last year - but the entry ticket allowed access to the infield area where the paddocks are but access into the main paddocks is restricted to competitors, GRRC members and other people with 'paddock access' pass - so the armband would be needed (they can't be purchased for normal public access). Period attire also required to get into these paddocks.

There are other paddocks where access is free. The infield also allows walking access to spectating areas infield (albeit in limited sections due to flying as mentioned above). Or walk around the whole circuit on the outside - lots of good viewing areas.

Last edited by gary396; 13 Feb 2012 at 15:13. Reason: Added infield access note
Old 13 Feb 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3025297)   #13
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I´d recommend instead of buying grandstand tickets he should bring some foldable chairs or picknick blanket and walkaroundthe course as stated above.
It is very interesting to see the cars on the different parts of the course.

Of course, nowadays it´s quite crowded - I still like to think back to the first Revival, when you could sit down on the bankings wherever you stopped and (almost) no people around you !
That has changed a bit with the event´s success !

Ralf
Old 13 Feb 2012, 18:01 (Ref:3025346)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
Marcus
Yes, the entry ticket gets you to the infield and around the edge of the main paddock. Entry into this paddock is restricted to certain tickets (I believe) and those in period dress. There are other paddocks which are open access.

There is also infield viewing along the Lavant Straight. Access from the Paddock area, via a walkway or pedestrian tunnel halfway down the straight.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3026948)   #15
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Some proper driving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA5tf...eature=related

Hope it will look similar at Goodwood - but Mercedes does have some drivers who know how to handle those beasts.

Ralf
Old 17 Feb 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3026955)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Phew, full blooded drifts even at those low speeds. To see them in full flow must have been a treat beyond imagination. The modern F1 may be faster, but it just doesn't stir the blood in the same way, does it?
Old 17 Feb 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3026967)   #17
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
No !
Old 17 Feb 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3027063)   #18
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have any experience applying for press passes for this event? I'm thinking of applying to produce some media content for a new project.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 13:16 (Ref:3027082)   #19
DAYTONASME
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oulton Park's my local
DAYTONASME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kurt - suggest you contact Janet Bradley on janet.bradley@goodwood.com

For both Goodwood events, they receive between 5k and 7k requests for global media accred..

Good luck...

E
Old 17 Feb 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3027177)   #20
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for this head's up I had already expected something like that. I'd better make a good pitch to them!

Never had any problems getting a pass for other classic events really. But this is something else of course! Anyhow, how's the situation without a press pass, can you make some good photos from interesting viewpoints and the paddock area as a lowly normal spectator?

I'm hoping to put together a video as well with 'cinematic pretensions', considering that Audi and Mercedes-Benz will attend with their cars there will undoubtably be on-board footage of those cars on their press sites, that would give a whole extra dimension to it than just the usual shots..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYTONASME View Post
Kurt - suggest you contact Janet Bradley on janet.bradley@goodwood.com

For both Goodwood events, they receive between 5k and 7k requests for global media accred..

Good luck...

E
Old 19 Feb 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3028080)   #21
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further to what was written on Post #12: As an ordinary spectator you can access the spectator areas round the whole of the outside of the track (except in front of grandstands etc). You can also access an infield spectator area between Lavant and Woodcote. You can also access the various displays - the "Motor Show" and period tableaux.

Various corporate entertaining and VIP areas are closed to you and you cannot access is the main paddock, I think only Goodwood racing club members can and you must be in period dress. But all is not lost, you can still see a lot over the fence. And the paddocks for the subsidiary races are accessible to all. Also certain areas are closed during air displays but it's not a major inconvenience.

I can't say first hand about photography opportunities as I haven't taken a camera. But many people have and there are pictures all over the web so there are no real difficulties. I would thing the usual "use a telephoto lens if possible" will apply.

Last edited by D-Type; 19 Feb 2012 at 20:28.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 19 Feb 2012, 22:12 (Ref:3028140)   #22
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Just gone onto this thread for the first time.I usually post on the "Motorsport History" forums,but I'd like an opinion from people who are obviuosly (and very correctly) Revival fans.

I just love it too, but I'm a bit concerned that the organisers are veering away from the original intent with the 50-years Cobra race.I would have thought that this celebration would belong to the Festival of Speed - the Revival meeting IMO should be a recreation in the style of an original meeting.

I don't remember any more than 3 or 4 Cobras in any one race of the time,but the TT recreation is chocka with them.There used to be far more midfield cars and less big-bangers although I know the sight and sound pleases the spectators.

I'm a sucker for the 50s saloons but they all seem to be lowered and run roller-skate wheels.Is this for safety purposes? I have presumed that the correct-sized tyres are no longer available.There was no way that an A35 could run with the Jags at the time, even with Graham Hill at the wheel.I miss the heeling-over and the squealing tyres.

Sorry if I seem pedantic.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3028178)   #23
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post

I'm a sucker for the 50s saloons but they all seem to be lowered and run roller-skate wheels.Is this for safety purposes? I have presumed that the correct-sized tyres are no longer available.There was no way that an A35 could run with the Jags at the time, even with Graham Hill at the wheel.I miss the heeling-over and the squealing tyres.
They should all be running on historic Dunlop Ls or Ms.

Maybe that's because in period A35s weren't running 1380/1460cc engines
Old 20 Feb 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3028219)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
There used to be far more midfield cars and less big-bangers although I know the sight and sound pleases the spectators.

There was no way that an A35 could run with the Jags at the time, even with Graham Hill at the wheel.I miss the heeling-over and the squealing tyres.
There you have it- the Revival is just a big bit of racing theatre, so the cars tend to be chosen to reflect that. The saloons are usually 'Goodwood Specials' and not built to FIA historic rules. This allows cars like A35 to be competitive against the big bangers- all adding to the theatre.....

I am particularly looking forward to seeing the Silver Arrows this year. Better take the ear defenders...
Old 20 Feb 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3028351)   #25
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I am a bit of a curmudgeon in my old age. You're right, the sense of theatre helps the "feel" of the occasion,and no doubt will attract new spectators to the delights of our sport.

I meant to add that there has been adverse criticism from some people about the period-dress authenticity of some spectators.Because I was around at the time I can catagorically affirm that hippies were about long before 1966. However they were the "greens" of the day and the majority would not have dreamed of attending a race meeting - so noisy man,and what a waste of energy,man.The younger race-goers would have worn pseudo-hippy clothes to appear fashionable like flower-power shirts or loon pants,but never the whole "John Lennon" look.

There seems to be an awful lot of US WW2 garb, but surely they were never based at Tangmere? I stand to be corrected.And Laurel & Hardy-Que???.