Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Nov 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2989731)   #51
alfaracer156
Rookie

Ireland
Royston,Herts
alfaracer156 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Very fair points about grid potential John and KA and also the entry costs johngee - I hadn't thought of it like that.

If the entry fee for these races was less rather than more, then it would be more of an incentive for people like Mike Newman or whoever to bring their cars out.

On the other hand one could also say that the sort of people who own most of these things wouldn't have to worry about spending a grand here or there!
I disagree,I have a genuine ex works car but still blanche at the £1000 entry.Some of us have to work to pay for our racing and don't have sponsers. Mike
Old 22 Nov 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2989897)   #52
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaracer156 View Post
I disagree,I have a genuine ex works car but still blanche at the £1000 entry.Some of us have to work to pay for our racing and don't have sponsers. Mike
No fair enough but in the main historic racing is generally made up of pretty wealthy people. It's not the case for everyone though.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 07:18 (Ref:2989899)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not "wealthy" and have had my crack at the Classic. Not planning on doing it again.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2989945)   #54
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm not "wealthy" and have had my crack at the Classic. Not planning on doing it again.
Yeah but you're not exactly short of a few bob Peter!
Old 22 Nov 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2989946)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Depends when pay day occurs.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2989947)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Depends when pay day occurs.
Ah yes, I'm with you on that one!
Old 22 Nov 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2989970)   #57
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think that entry fees should be based on the perceived wealth (or othewise) of entrants or potential entrants. There is a direct cost which is largely made up of 'circuit hire' or 'track time', which is (or should be?) the same for all.
Surely, for a promoted meeting, which generates substantial public spectator revenue, the motive should be to attract the best possible entry, regardless of the wealth of the entrants.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2990011)   #58
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite agree John,I find it hard to think that Silverstone Circuits limited would change the hire rate for any particular date. Problem being that a lot of 'Gate Money' was lost this year,dread to hazard a guess for next year's footfall,thing's haven't improved that much. Get an early reputation of being expensive,takes a long while for people to forget. Sometimes wonder if Silverstone is on a 'slippery slope' with too much outside input!

{ £1,300 for six hour's? Almost sounds too good to be true!}
Old 22 Nov 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2990060)   #59
JDog
Rookie

JDog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemen

This thread was started to find car's and owners of relevant car's who may be interested in participating in a Touring Car race at the Classic.

I have contacted everyone who has shown and interest via email and explained in detail the proposed race and the entry fee.

Unfortunately rather than picking up the phone or dropping me an email some believe it's more constructive to discuss and complain about this on here.

This is not a thread to discuss the entry cost's of historic race meeting's.

I'm glad I posted on here though, we've now found some brilliant period car's, with super enthusiastic owner's who are as excited about the prospect of racing their car's at Silverstone as i am.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2990072)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Jonny,

With respect this is a discussion forum and as far as I can tell the thread has achieved what you wanted. Of course it has expanded beyond the original (desired?) discussion but it is far from off topic.

I speak on behalf of 10/10s when I say I am pleased you have found some entrants.

That said IMO £1000 for 40 mins racing is a bit steep when you can get the same for around £350 to £500 with other organisers. And the TV coverage means very little to me or I suspect most people.

So I wish you every success and as I said, having been there and done it, I have no plans to return.

I hope you get all the entries you need. And this thread will continue as long as we have something to discuss on the topic.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2990078)   #61
JDog
Rookie

Quote:
Jonny,

With respect this is a discussion forum and as far as I can tell the thread has achieved what you wanted. Of course it has expanded beyond the original (desired?) discussion but it is far from off topic.

I speak on behalf of 10/10s when I say I am pleased you have found some entrants.

That said IMO £1000 for 40 mins racing is a bit steep when you can get the same for around £350 to £500 with other organisers. And the TV coverage means very little to me or I suspect most people.

So I wish you every success and as I said, having been there and done it, I have no plans to return.

I hope you get all the entries you need. And this thread will continue as long as we have something to discuss on the topic.
Thank's Peter, it's difficult to read forum post's when the poster has actually been in email contact and hasn't queried the entry fee only to complain on here!!

Im really pleased with the positive response we have had from 90% of people (yourself included)
Old 22 Nov 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2990122)   #62
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDog View Post
Thank's Peter, it's difficult to read forum post's when the poster has actually been in email contact and hasn't queried the entry fee only to complain on here!!

Im really pleased with the positive response we have had from 90% of people (yourself included)
Yes that would probably leave many of us a bit confused as well!!

I'm glad you understand Peter's point about the open forum discussion though Jonny.

How's it going on the registrations??!!
Old 23 Nov 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2990617)   #63
Husqvarna
Rookie

Husqvarna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectators view point

With interest I have read the posts about this proposed Touring Car race at the Classic. From a 50 year old spectators point of view who,s interest and participation in motorsport started around 1988. Highlights to me are Group A with Rovers XJS and XR4 etc leading on to the RS 500 era then with the introduction of the 2 litre rules the amazing Super Touring era . The TV covarage and follow on Video sales ment you could watch the action time and time again watching the stars in action with names like Win Percy, Andy Rouse, John Cleland and David Leslie among others becoming houshold names. I cant wait for next years Classic to see a grid of those famous cars from my favorite period of motorsport, all on the grid together BLISS and on the same ticket Group C my second favorite. I think the organisers got it right to include these iconic cars rather than stick to the same old race card that are at most Historic meetings that I have watched so many times.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2991139)   #64
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, I think the discussion should be how lucky you guys are to have entry fees as low as you do for the club events!! Given FIA GT4 where I have been known to ply my trade is around Euro 3k for 2 * 40mins, crowds are thin and TV coverage poor... I find £1k about right for what is hoped to be a prestigious meeting and a rare opportunity to race a Supertourer against it's peers!
My entry is in and the Aiello Championship winning Primera will be on the grid if Dave and Johnny (whom I think we owe a huge thanks for this) can muster the numbers.
Already looking forward to it!!
Rick
Old 26 Nov 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2991611)   #65
alfaracer156
Rookie

Ireland
Royston,Herts
alfaracer156 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see by your list of cars and your address why you find the entryt fee cheap.Mike
Old 28 Nov 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2992330)   #66
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hahahaha! If only!! Tge only race cars I owned were Clios, and Monaco is a postal address! Rest of the drives I was just a hired gun!
These days I do get to drive old cars for people as I find sponsors easier to find for Historics, and I still think £1k ain't bad if the meeting is as big as we'd like it to be, certainly not bad on the European stage, my point was more that those events where you're getting good track time for a few hundred quid are great value!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2992456)   #67
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 'few hundred quid' maybe! That would leave change.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2992487)   #68
JDog
Rookie

Thanks Rick! We are both very grateful to everyone who has committed so far, what a fantastic grid of car's in prospect.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2994410)   #69
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks Rick! We are both very grateful to everyone who has committed so far, what a fantastic grid of car's in prospect.

How are the numbers coming along?
Old 2 Dec 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2994547)   #70
JDog
Rookie

Well thanks Anthony, a lot of Group A cars signed up and a good grid of SuperTourer's...need more 70's cars though!!
Old 3 Dec 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2994685)   #71
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I can think of one that will possibly still enter.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2997642)   #72
JDog
Rookie

I'm very pleased to say we have succeeded in securing the grid slot!

Thank's to every entrant who has supported us and see's the potential of what we are trying to achieve.

Can't wait for next July....

http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/Content/Race-Grids/3/
Old 9 Dec 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2997765)   #73
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I'm very pleased to say we have succeeded in securing the grid slot!

Thank's to every entrant who has supported us and see's the potential of what we are trying to achieve.

Can't wait for next July....

http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/Content/Race-Grids/3/
Fantastic news, well done Jonny!

When will you be letting us know who, or perhaps of greater interest, what, has registered an entry?
Old 10 Dec 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2998029)   #74
JDog
Rookie

Thanks Chunterer

We are working in conjunction with the organizers with regards to details of the meeting. They now handle press release's to do with entry's etc and will do features on specific car's during promotion of the race.

I know ive already said this and im sorry i cant tell you more but we have a lot of Group A car's!!
Old 10 Dec 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2998034)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Very pleased to hear this. Well done. I tried to contact Guido Scheiff who I know has restored an original CC Racing Gp1 Capri, but I'm not sure he got my message. If anyone out there in Belgium kinows him, please let him know about this.