Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Feb 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3019754)   #1
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic 2012 - Big Engine Touring Cars

Does anyone know why the Big Engined Touring Cars races seem to have been dropped from this year's Classic event?
Old 1 Feb 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3019762)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presumably because of the new Touring Car series from JD/Ken Clarke. With U2TC also on the card it was probably felt that three Touring Car races was too much. Shame the big engined cars are casualties.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3019793)   #3
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had two good years, which was one more than I expected. There will always be a rotation of grids at these sort of events, it's the variety that keeps the punters interested, so hopefully we might get another go in a year or two.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3019860)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Presumably because of the new Touring Car series from JD/Ken Clarke. With U2TC also on the card it was probably felt that three Touring Car races was too much. Shame the big engined cars are casualties.
The MRL / JD series isn't at the Classic- but there is a one off Touring car double header (much discussed on here) for Gp2 through to Super Touring cars.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3019880)   #5
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was hoped that the new V8 Series would get a race but that doesn't look likely now. Its a shame on both accounts as the 'Big Engined Touring Cars' were seemingly the most popular with the general punter, certainly from where we was sitting in the Grandstand anyway as half the crowd were on their feet cheering every lap. For most other races they just sat and watched. The V8 series inaugural event at Snetterton also attracted quite a number of spectators, I know of at least 20 that came as a result of me mentioning it on another forum. Next year maybe
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 1 Feb 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3019916)   #6
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
It was hoped that the new V8 Series would get a race but that doesn't look likely now. Its a shame on both accounts as the 'Big Engined Touring Cars' were seemingly the most popular with the general punter, certainly from where we was sitting in the Grandstand anyway as half the crowd were on their feet cheering every lap. For most other races they just sat and watched. The V8 series inaugural event at Snetterton also attracted quite a number of spectators, I know of at least 20 that came as a result of me mentioning it on another forum. Next year maybe
Ask any of the older drivers, and they will always tell you the reason organising clubs kept Special Saloons until last on the programme, was to keep the crowd buying the beer! They knew they wouldn't leave until the Special Saloon cars had performed.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 18:58 (Ref:3019924)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
We could have been there Moose but Bernie declined I believe as the entry fee was astronomic.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3019931)   #8
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was expecting it to be, would have been nice though as it probably my only chance to do the event as normally its all AppK stuff only.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 1 Feb 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3019991)   #9
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not all appx K cars, my Jag certainly isn't, still can't catch those V8's though. Maybe time for a new nut behind the wheel!
Old 2 Feb 2012, 01:14 (Ref:3020068)   #10
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The MRL / JD series isn't at the Classic- but there is a one off Touring car double header (much discussed on here) for Gp2 through to Super Touring cars.
But presumably similar cars to the MRL/JD cars.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 06:44 (Ref:3020110)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
But presumably similar cars to the MRL/JD cars.

MRL/JDC 1967 to 1985/6. Silverstone Race 1973 to 2000, so yes, a period of commonality in the middle! This race at the Classic was first aired on tenths 10th November, before Ken broke cover with the JDC series on Dec 1st, so don't think he or MRL should take the blame for the big pre 66s not being there! Wouldn't mind betting though that MRL would have pitched for a slot had one been available....
Old 2 Feb 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3020136)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Not all appx K cars, my Jag certainly isn't, still can't catch those V8's though. Maybe time for a new nut behind the wheel!
Nothing to do with you Colin you just wont get the BHP out the old XK engine simple as that. I would say you have a marginally better chassis with IRS but still as heavy or heavier than most yank Pony cars.

Yes Wayne I think a fee in excess of a grand was mentioned which currently would put me out straight away as that sort of money is I am afraid well out of my league although I have the cars. For me personally I think this is going to be the toughest year yet to continue racing and I bet I am not alone! Its about time some of those gate reciepts started filtering back to the guys putting the show on for free.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3020201)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post

Its about time some of those gate reciepts started filtering back to the guys putting the show on for free.
Agree with this Al, but it will never happen.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3020256)   #14
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al, I remember bringing this to the table regularly with meetings with most of the organising clubs. As driver liasion at BRSCC I would keep on asking why a little money couldn't be filtered the way of the performers? Always, I was told that there wasn't enough money to do that, and it was hard enough to put on races let alone pay drivers. Remember that this was when we had circuits full too; Huge gates wherever we raced, and yet the answer was a firm no. I guess this would be even harder to achieve in todays climate.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3020701)   #15
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange to think that 25 years ago most circuits were locked up during the week with zero income. Now the likes of Brands, Silverstone etc.. must be taking in £10,000 a day most days with track activities etc....
Old 10 Feb 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3023999)   #16
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for everyone who responded to my query!