Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jun 2012, 05:54 (Ref:3096660)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
SILVERSTONE CLASSIC Powered by the AA. 20 to 22 July 2012

Looked on the calendar for this and it's not there! Website is here and it promises to be as fantastic / busy / hard work / chaotic or however you see it as last year.

Which paddock I finish up in is still subject to negotiation with organisers, but most likely the (old) National area.

Anyone else attending?

Old 23 Jun 2012, 06:15 (Ref:3096667)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's the second biggest Historic racing event after Goodwood,

The Head Honcho who promotes the meeting and subs the races to various other race organisers doesn't seem to have any idea of a balanced programme.

Yes we will be there with cars but more for old times sake , remembering the old days when it was one of the best Historic Festivals in Europe rather than the curates egg served up these days.Bet your all waiting for that celebrity race.Will Sally Traffic make a come back.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 06:28 (Ref:3096670)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Bet your all waiting for that celebrity race.Will Sally Traffic make a come back.

At least the car she used was same shape afterwards!
Old 23 Jun 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3096683)   #4
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be at Silverstone Classic, looking forward to it.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3096693)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes we have a stand there, hugely looking forward to it. A more central retail area than last year, hopefully better business but there again I don't particularly mind given we seem to want to spend more time spectating than working

Purists may rail against the balance of races, but it works for our guests, and clearly there are thousands of people who agree.

Excited already, and I'm only a speccie!
Old 23 Jun 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3096709)   #6
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Roger...
I very much look forward to that event, will bring the entire family and my brother as well.

I do miss the pre war event, but the paying public apparently does not.

The celeb race is an utter joke, and - impossible as it seems - gets even more ridiculous every year

On the other hand, whether we competitors like certains aspects or not, such as access arrangements on Wednesday..
The current team have put the event on a stable commercial platform, every service provider actually gets paid, and You can rely on it beeing there next year.
You cant hope for more

I have entered:

March 721 in GPM
Lotus 18 in HGPCA
Brabham BT2 in HFJ, my first race in the new toy

Silverstone Arena Circuit, New Abbey, just love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudolf
Old 23 Jun 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3096732)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
I will be at Silverstone Classic, looking forward to it.
Roger, want to see the Lancia taking it to those silver things, please!

Old 23 Jun 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3096749)   #8
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Roger, want to see the Lancia taking it to those silver things, please!

Thanks Mike. As always, I will be trying my hardest. But those things are so quick. 7 years later in terms of development makes a huge difference. Bob came past me on the Mulsanne straight in qualifying and it felt the same as the speed differential between a GT car and LMP1. Staggering.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3096846)   #9
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully, all things being just and equal, I'll be seeing all of you in the rear view mirror.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3097044)   #10
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tickets and camping passes were booked for this event months ago.
Timetable looks great as usual and I expect the entries to be of the same high standards.

It would be nice to photograph motorsport in the dry and with some sunlight, if the organisers could please arrange that
Old 24 Jun 2012, 23:35 (Ref:3097512)   #11
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they taking the mickey with the ticket prices for this event? Last year the CSMA offered a cheap deal (around the £60 mark if I remember) but, as they aren't attending this year I've checked the prices.

Saturday & Sunday tickets cost £80 PLUS £6.40 booking fee PLUS £2.06 transaction fee = £88.46! I only want to watch the racing - I'm not interested in the various car clubs, displays, music, fun fairs, etc so, having pre-booked a hotel months ago, this may be my last year attending having been for most years dating back to the Coys Festival time.

I don't know what they charge competitors to enter the event, but the casual spectator is being slowly priced out of attending. For the same price I'll have got tickets for Donington Historic Festival in May and Masters in October plus the three day World Endurance Cars event at Silverstone in August.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 08:11 (Ref:3097613)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
£88 for two days? Compared to the price of a Premiership ticket for a 90 minute match, it's an absolute bargain. Go to Swindon to watch the local bladder kickers, and they'll sting you twenty five quid to watch pretty dire football for half an afternoon.

I'm pretty sure that the price is the same as last year. I think my stand price is.

You're getting the cream of classic racing cars for two whole days, virtually sunrise until sunset. You get to go to the paddock and chat to the drivers, plus photograph the cars close up. Try getting in to the stables at the Grand National!

Yes, it's a lot of money but so are many days out in the real world. Only the whole, we are spoilt in motor sport because clubbie races are pretty cheap to attend. IMO.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 09:38 (Ref:3097646)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post

I don't know what they charge competitors to enter the event, but the casual spectator is being slowly priced out of attending. For the same price I'll have got tickets for Donington Historic Festival in May and Masters in October plus the three day World Endurance Cars event at Silverstone in August.

From memory the U2TC Touring Car race entry fee was 1,100.00 Euros!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3097662)   #14
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
From memory the U2TC Touring Car race entry fee was 1,100.00 Euros!
Plus the 330 quid for Thursday's test day where sessions normally get red flagged every 5 mins !

.... and the U2TC race is only 50 mins instead of the normal 1hour !!!!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3097742)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
We seem to get this discussion about the cost every year! Yes, it costs more to enter than some other events, but none of the costs are hidden from us....

I chose to pay the higher than normal entry fee because I think the whole weekend experience is worth it. Simples.

Old 25 Jun 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3097775)   #16
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, I agree, which is why I enter despite the cost ( was too quick with the send button on my previous post !!) I think it is a great meeting, with lots of things to do & see when not racing.

We will be there, Cortina No.60 in U2TC, so please pop along & say hi if you have time ; we were next to you at Monza a couple of years ago.

Will be interesting to see how the shuttle bus from the competitors campsite works ; hope they don't mind us carrying a gearbox onboard as hand luggage,if we need to, as most of our big spares will remain in our camper until we need them ! Worse still, taking the oily broken one back to the campsite !!!!!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3097808)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

Shuttle bus? Hah, don't know you're born. Us exhibitors had a shuttle tractor and trailer with no springs that took us as far as Abbey gate and told us to walk the rest of the way to our stand next to the National Paddock!

This year we are saying in MK rather than motor home in Woodlands...it took me 45 minutes from camper to stand on their tractor and Shank's Pony, it's only 35 from MK by car!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3097872)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
This year we are saying in MK rather than motor home in Woodlands...it took me 45 minutes from camper to stand on their tractor and Shank's Pony, it's only 35 from MK by car!
Max, just watch the traffic queues to get in saturday and sunday!

If you're stuck top floor of the truck will be empty.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3097879)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
We will be there, Cortina No.60 in U2TC, so please pop along & say hi if you have time ; we were next to you at Monza a couple of years ago.
Was the the hot sunny Monza weekend?

Now confirmed we will be based in National Paddock so should be able to find you from there!

Old 25 Jun 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3098024)   #20
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
£88 for two days? Compared to the price of a Premiership ticket for a 90 minute match, it's an absolute bargain. Go to Swindon to watch the local bladder kickers, and they'll sting you twenty five quid to watch pretty dire football for half an afternoon.
I have a work colleague who's a Spurs season ticket holder - when he told me the cost I worked out that I could get MSVR season passes for the next 5 years for less!

Back on topic...
Quote:
Only the whole, we are spoilt in motor sport because clubbie races are pretty cheap to attend. IMO.
Agreed - I was just surprised how much advance "full" price tickets were having got discounted CSMA and Telegraph (I think) prices in the past.

I really am looking forward to this meeting and will offer my apologies for my "Al Weyman" moment last night. Fond memories are still held from the past few years of watching Historic Sportscars and Group C as the sun set.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3098032)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

Alfaholic - Come up and say hello, the Racewear.co.uk stand is on the south edge of the tented retail area. We're alongside Classic Leather Fobs and the guys who make bespoke luggage tailored for the shape of your classic car's boot. May even have a few "tinnies" to share and carry on the Tenths discussions!

Mike - may yet take you up on that! Send the family back to MK then spend the night yarning away with Tenthers. Sounds like heaven!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3098052)   #22
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:
Come up and say hello, the Racewear.co.uk stand is on the south edge of the tented retail area.
Do you think they would mind if the SC took 50+ competitors on a detour, I could do with having a look at Racewear kit but doubt I'll have a spare moment.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3098144)   #23
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Do you think they would mind if the SC took 50+ competitors on a detour, I could do with having a look at Racewear kit but doubt I'll have a spare moment.
...but Racewear HQ is only a pleasant 45 minutes down the A4 from you so no excuse really....
Old 26 Jun 2012, 07:22 (Ref:3098228)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Safety Car drivers a speciality. Well, not particularly at the moment but I'll think of something before then! But perhaps best if we don't break out the tinnies...
Old 27 Jun 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3099000)   #25
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:
Safety Car drivers
I wish!!! if only I had the skill and kudos. I am but an orange clad passenger trying to keep some form of order.