Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 17 Oct 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3680863)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marc Haynes

Have just seen that Mark Haynes has passed away this morning.

Marc was a member of the Haynes Manuals family and ran the Haynes museum at Sparkford for many years. He used to race a 911 in the Porsche Club series, and was the UKs first paraplegic racer. More recently he founded Bute Motorsport and ran the GT Cup series.

Only 48, I think.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3684642)   #2
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't been here for a while and only just seen this sad news. Saw him race many times and the one time I met him caused a bit of a stir amongst the marshalling community. I was marshalling at Snetterton for a BRSCC club meet and posted at Richies. It was a very wet day and Marc had slid off into the gravel trap. At a previous wet meeting we had a car go in which got whacked by another five minutes later and we should have probably called a halt given the conditions. Usually a disabled driver can either get out or stay in the car but we felt he was in a vulnerable position so called for the Battenburg flag (remember that)? RC didn't think it was needed and let the race carry on. We took matters into our own hands and went out to him. At first he said he was ok where he was but after telling him the race wouldn't be controlled to allow us to get his car out, he agreed to let us get him out. We carried him off the circuit to safety which may have been the right or wrong thing to do but thinking of the other incident we didn't want to take any chances. He didn't mind so thought that was that.

A fortnight later I was at Silverstone and the first thing I hear was what happened at Snet. I kept quiet listening to everything, some agreeing we were in the right, some not. then someone asked me what I would have done and I just replied, "well I did what I thought was right in the circumstance". The proverbial pin dropped. Apparently this was a talking point at a lot of circuits and raised the question, should we get a disabled driver out and if so how. Apparently using the "chair" technique, which we used, was deemed okay.

It was decided that getting a disabled driver out would be part of training day and Marc kindly drove from Somerset, in the middle of winter to Snetterton to take part. He remembered me and my mate and we had a good chat about it but we all agreed that maybe the race should have been controlled to allow the medics to remove him. He then spent the rest of the day being manhandled out of his car by marshals.