Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1396724)   #1
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autodrome finally arrives

Two months later than expected and a year and a half after it began, the book I've been photographing has finally arrived!

It's great to see it in print and Veloce Publishing have done a great job of laying it out, whilst SS_Collins has written it superbly.

I know some on the forum have pre-ordered it, and to you I apologise for all the delays - I just hope you think it's worth it!

If anyone gets their hands on it, all comments are welcomed (positive or otherwise...).

Gavin

Last edited by Snapper Baz; 19 Oct 2005 at 10:06.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1396729)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally! Fantastic news...I can't wait to see it all put together, knowing how hard you and sam worked on it! I'm sure it looks fantastic, nobody would know about the piccies if you hadn't said anything, you perfectionist you!!

I must batter Sam for a copy...although that will be hard with him being in Barbados!!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1396737)   #3
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry for beeing ignorant but what series is the book about and where can i get it?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1396745)   #4
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
I must batter Sam for a copy...although that will be hard with him being in Barbados!!
Is he on the menu for the regular Bajan Friday night "Oistins Fish Fry" then?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1396758)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lol anuauto! I don't think so...although he might be on my list when he gets home!! Hes been lounging around in bars on the beach mainly.

Robert...The full title is Autodome: The lost circuits of Europe. Its about the history (in some cases a bit sordid) of now disused race circuits in various countries in Europe. As for getting it try amazon and places like that.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1397487)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll probably have to caution myself or something but
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...310334-0251822
Old 2 Sep 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1397511)   #7
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ill try and get myself a copy of it, have you got the ISBN number for it?
Old 3 Sep 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1397717)   #8
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robert:
wait until the middle/end of next week and have a look at amazon.de under english books. yet it is there but with a wrong title and with that it appears as not available. ive sent em a correction. they state that a correction needs 2-5 days. If you can wait a bit longer you might safely get it over germanys amazon

I really like books about circuits, especially the older and forgotten ones. I´m really looking forward to this one and will get it as soon as possible (trouble at amazon germany,see above)
Old 3 Sep 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1397785)   #9
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been waiting to get my hands on this book for ages, since it was advertised in MN last year. I didn't know it was put together by a couple of ten-tenths members. Well done guys, at least i know where to come if i don't like it
Old 3 Sep 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1398142)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Yes, it was shown in MN as at that point Sam was working for them. Pictures and ads appeared for it a long while, and some I think before it was even finished.

Having seen the pdf's I can't wait to get my hands on the finished article. Heres hoping that it is a great success!!
Old 4 Sep 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1398581)   #11
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77
Robert:
wait until the middle/end of next week and have a look at amazon.de under english books. yet it is there but with a wrong title and with that it appears as not available. ive sent em a correction. they state that a correction needs 2-5 days.
Thanks Andy for taking the time to sort out amazon.de - I spent a long while getting things sorted for the uk site and even now they're not right but never mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Well done guys, at least i know where to come if i don't like it
All comments gratefully received but negative ones will be directed straight to the publishers...
Old 5 Sep 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1399737)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Charters had several copies on their stand at Doningon on Sunday. Had a quick flick through, looks good.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1401418)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like it! Its one I'd have in my collection (even if I hadn't written it) because its so nice but would rarely pick up because - its too nice to read almost - Gav's being a perfectionist about the pics as usual I think they look great which is what I really like about it.

Does that makes sense? doubtful but I am jet lagged.

I only wrote it because I wanted to read it. Gav's pictures are something great
Old 7 Sep 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1401421)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's good that he's like that..I wouldnt expect anything else from a photographer would you?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1401428)   #15
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will you be plugging it on Saturday Sam?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1401599)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
More than likely, you know what he's like, especially as Chaters are bound to have copies!
Old 9 Sep 2005, 06:27 (Ref:1402552)   #17
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

after getting the book yesterday around noon i started to read it, forgot about time the whole afternoon and finished reading it early evening.

The book caught me for a couple of reasons.
Since english isnt my natural language i have sometimes pretty hard times with english written books and usually have to put a vocabulary next to the book i read.
Autodrome is other there. It is pretty easy to understand and at the same time really exciting.
The mix of photographs is pretty nice. The pictures of today giving it some really good atmosphere.

Being addicted to the history of circuits, yes it is one of my hobbies aside from trying to bring em in pc racing games, especially the chapters about Brooklands, Crystal Palace, Keimola, Masarykring and Linas-Montlhery caught my interest since I never found much about this circuits.
just the thought that people raced circuits like Monza, Brooklands ...and so on in cars we´d call tanks today really impresses me.

The pictures , especially the sunrise/sunset ones looking really really nice. with some imagination anyone can really feel how cars must have roared through.

After all it was a very enjoyable, exciting read. I´m truly impressed and want to thank S.S. Collins and Gavin D. Ireland for their great work.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1406987)   #18
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Thanks for your comments Andy77 - it's good to hear that you're enjoying the book.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1407020)   #19
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
I finally got my hands briefly on a copy. I didn't get to read it as Sam quickly put it away again. Maybe I'll get to read it soon.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1407789)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the kind comments andy.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1419437)   #21
PaulCherry
Racer

PaulCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As advertised at the Goodwood Revival...

http://www.pbase.com/paulcherry/ad
Old 29 Sep 2005, 03:52 (Ref:1419571)   #22
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gav, sorry I didn't look in here before writing you the other day, meaning the bit about the photo reproduction...I hope the disappointments weren't too frustrating, although I understand completely, it is very frustrating when you know that files were well prepared and you end up with inconsistencies--and anyway, its our job and our nature to be picky s.o.b's about that sort of thing!

So again, congrats to both of you and I hope that Goodwood was a good venue for plugging it, its probably the ideal spot for some exposure when you think about it, and hopefully with numerous book purchasing spectators! BTW, from the photo put up in the last post, the cover looks great.

All the best to you both with it.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1467024)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
well its all worked out nicely Autodrome, is very close to selling out and its been confirmed that it will go to a second edition. So keep them firsts in good nick becase they (hopefully) are gonna be sought after.

As for Signed copies I think there are only perhaps 50 in existence if that. Niether me of Gav actually have a fully signed copy - thats how rare they are
Old 22 Nov 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1467036)   #24
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
good to hear that, continued "all the best" (now go to bed, its quarter to one ;-) )

tech question, is it possible when a reprinting run is done, to diddle with the photo files (assuming all the various factors will be the same-ie printing press, paper stock etc etc etc) for Gavin to tweak shots that he wasn't happy with?

just curious, if it was me, I would be tempted to find out thats all.

nighty night
Old 22 Nov 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1467632)   #25
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
yes it was being done when I spoke to Veloce earlier today