Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3752538)   #526
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
This is absolutely HUGE for american sports car racing. Joest Mazda and Penske Acura vs the Cadillacs. and ESM Nissans getting there ducks in a row (change all the drivers bar Derani...). The history books are going to be rewritten next year and it is going to be absolutely titanic!
Yes is fantastic!!! The ALMS is back!!!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3752550)   #527
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Yes is fantastic!!! The ALMS is back!!!
Can make the claim it is better because the GT categories were not super strong back then. 2007/2008 which was the peak of the ALMS LMP days yes, but that was when GT1 was dying.

The peak of GT racing in ALMS were the last couple of years of it in 2012/2013. That has carried through to today with GTLM and GTD. Although Dodge Viper, Flying Lizard, and Falken are missed greatly.

We are in a golden age of GT racing when you take into account GTLM and GT3 racing world wide
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3752563)   #528
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
It is unfortunate for those planning to attend one of the remaining three races with Prototypes in 2017 who now won't be seeing cars that had been expected to run the full season. I'd be annoyed if it happened before I saw them at Mosport.
I agree some with folks hoping to see this car in it's (now) past state, as I've looked forward to seeing cars all year only to have the Road Atlanta essess or T12 take them out in an early session, not to return to the track for the rest of the event. That seems worse and this more of a bummer for the team staff, unless retained.

These things tend to happen sportscar racing, is what I am saying.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3752566)   #529
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All the Mazda press stuff is saying 13 class wins at Sebring. When were these? I only had a quick look through Wikipedia but didn't see any. Group C?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3752571)   #530
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone reckon Nissan might want to look at giving a little more support to ESM now Honda and Mazda are going to be serious movers?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3752572)   #531
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
All the Mazda press stuff is saying 13 class wins at Sebring. When were these? I only had a quick look through Wikipedia but didn't see any. Group C?
Whatever the RX7 was in during the 80s?

Edit: GTU. I won't pretend to know any more than that.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3752577)   #532
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
9 according to this, fwiw:
https://sebringraceway.com/images/hi...erformance.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Correct. RX-7s competed at the old airfield from 1979 to 1994 in GTU.

Also, Mazda powered IMSA GTP Lites took class wins in Argo and Royale chassises in addition to Jim Downing's Kudzu!

EDIT:
Feel free to get lost in this with me!
http://www.racingsportscars.com/race...?track=sebring

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 18 Jul 2017 at 20:32.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:46 (Ref:3752588)   #533
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Yes, IMSA GTU and GTO (I don't remember Mazda winning GTO at Sebring), plus Camel Lights, which was smaller GTP cars.

I have to look, but that may include a TU victory with a Mazda Cosmo in '76

I see FoD has also posted much the same thing

Last edited by skycafe; 18 Jul 2017 at 20:48. Reason: space/time
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3752590)   #534
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
IMSA GTU mostly.... maybe a few as engine suppliers in IMSA Lites.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:56 (Ref:3752594)   #535
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
EDIT:
Feel free to get lost in this with me!
http://www.racingsportscars.com/race...?track=sebring
I have a new favourite sports car. The Morris Minor that came 15th in 1952. Like Mazda it was a class winner.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3752597)   #536
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I have a new favourite sports car. The Morris Minor that came 15th in 1952. Like Mazda it was a class winner.
Amazing, ins't it? I love the old results, and those times.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3752603)   #537
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
There are a million classes. A field that half of which don't look competitive. And, where's the Pro-Am?

We are both spoilt now and complain about nothing and also miss out and don't see what is really good.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3752604)   #538
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
We are both spoilt now and complain about nothing and also miss out and don't see what is really good.
Yes. The atmosphere. The sounds, the smells. The sort of lottery aspect of cars the survive to get a result in an endurance race.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 21:35 (Ref:3752613)   #539
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I do feel that Joest is a big upgrade. SpeedSource had success in GT racing, but since then they seemed to be out of their element. That being said, Joest and Multimatic are still saddled with an engine that's still got somewhat questionable reliability outside of a 6 hour race, not to mention a chassis that in ACO spec has proven to be the worst of the current lot.

I wonder if Joest and Mazda will try and switch chassis, or do Joest and Multimatic think they can right the ship on the Riley chassis?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 22:11 (Ref:3752620)   #540
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This could well be PWC news, But CTSCC runners MIA have just taken delivery of a McLaren 650s GT3. Could step up from GS to GTD next year? Or PWC maybe
Old 18 Jul 2017, 23:14 (Ref:3752631)   #541
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...=&limitstart=1

Page 2 quote from Juttner:
Quote:
"DPi is a much better prospective than anything else we could do," he said. "What about the WEC? Porsche is done. Toyota is done. Audi's pulled out. So what should we do? Buy two LMP2s and look for pay drivers? Not a chance."
Bombshell!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 23:41 (Ref:3752640)   #542
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Bombshell!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 23:46 (Ref:3752641)   #543
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
This is absolutely HUGE for american sports car racing. Joest Mazda and Penske Acura vs the Cadillacs. and ESM Nissans getting there ducks in a row (change all the drivers bar Derani...). The history books are going to be rewritten next year and it is going to be absolutely titanic!
Even I've got hope (wonders never cease, ehhh??? ).....'fingers crossed.

(I would have chosen a different term than "Titanic" though....'scary. )

jimclark
Old 18 Jul 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3752642)   #544
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Panoz is the new DPi rumored
Old 19 Jul 2017, 00:16 (Ref:3752644)   #545
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
Perhaps Panoz is the new DPi rumored
Lol, I wish!
Old 19 Jul 2017, 00:35 (Ref:3752648)   #546
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Bombshell!
Or that is in reference to the fact that both teams are done in house so there's nothing for Joest to do?
Old 19 Jul 2017, 00:48 (Ref:3752649)   #547
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
It's saying they already having teams running them so there's nothing for Joest, yes.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 00:48 (Ref:3752650)   #548
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Yes, IMSA GTU and GTO (I don't remember Mazda winning GTO at Sebring), plus Camel Lights, which was smaller GTP cars.

I have to look, but that may include a TU victory with a Mazda Cosmo in '76

I see FoD has also posted much the same thing
'Just perused IMSA results and no GTO win for Mazda. The only classes in the 12 in '76 were GTO and GTU.

(edit: The Cosmo finished 25th overall, 9th in GTU)

A bunch of GTU over the years; and two Lights wins: '85, Downing and Maffucci in an Argo/Mazda, and '86, Rothbart, Meyer, and Kline in a Royale/Mazda.

(edit II: Sorry field, I see your post now. I missed the Kudzu win and ain't goin' back thru...what year was that? Thanks.)

Last edited by jimclark; 19 Jul 2017 at 01:14.

jimclark
Old 19 Jul 2017, 01:11 (Ref:3752651)   #549
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Dyson winning P-1 in '12? On Dunlops!

L.P.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 01:26 (Ref:3752652)   #550
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
What about Dyson winning P-1 in '12? On Dunlops!

L.P.
Nice....I only looked thru '98.
'Fergot about that one.

jimclark