Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 2017, 23:44 (Ref:3786690)   #3626
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Delta's Senior Moments?
I read and interesting book on that subject Click image for larger version

Name:	senior moments.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	50843
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Dec 2017, 00:11 (Ref:3786698)   #3627
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I read and interesting book on that subject Attachment 50843
How many times? Did it seem fresh and exciting each time? Can you remember any of it? What am I posting about? Who's the Prime Minister.......?
Old 13 Dec 2017, 00:31 (Ref:3786700)   #3628
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
How many times? Did it seem fresh and exciting each time? Can you remember any of it? What am I posting about? Who's the Prime Minister.......?
It's great, you meet new people every day as for that old turkey, the Prime Minister is Harold Wilson !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Dec 2017, 00:32 (Ref:3786701)   #3629
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes. Capachino for me and I will be 65 next March . Going to spend all my pension money on motor racing 😀Interesting about Concorde programme I would like to watch that . My customer and friend who lets me drive his collection of Lola 's was a 747 pilot . He got asked to train for Concorde but declined .
maybe not much point in claiming it and paying tax on it if still working and earning; deferring it gains you 5.8% per annum increase.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3786748)   #3630
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Or another viewpoint........ take everything you're due as soon as, while you can still enjoy spending it!
Old 13 Dec 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3786760)   #3631
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Or another viewpoint........ take everything you're due as soon as, while you can still enjoy spending it!
Pretty much the advice I was given when I pondered delaying it.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3786761)   #3632
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I read and interesting book on that subject Attachment 50843

Does it have a happy ending, Gordon?
Old 13 Dec 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3786767)   #3633
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Pretty much the advice I was given when I pondered delaying it.
Yup, same here.....
Old 13 Dec 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3786775)   #3634
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Does it have a happy ending, Gordon?
YUP !Click image for larger version

Name:	THIS ONE.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	50844Click image for larger version

Name:	VT.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	50845
Old 13 Dec 2017, 14:46 (Ref:3786827)   #3635
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes. Capachino for me and I will be 65 next March . Going to spend all my pension money on motor racing 😀Interesting about Concorde programme I would like to watch that . My customer and friend who lets me drive his collection of Lola 's was a 747 pilot . He got asked to train for Concorde but declined .
Ian,dont bother with the online crappy pages!!
Phone them up,it IS far simpler and faster.You should have hsd a letter telling you of this already?
Old 13 Dec 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3786835)   #3636
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
One thing about claiming your state pension then keeping working is you don't actually see your pension as it all goes back as tax, I suppose the only slight positive is you no longer pay NI
Old 13 Dec 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3786842)   #3637
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
One thing about claiming your state pension then keeping working is you don't actually see your pension as it all goes back as tax, I suppose the only slight positive is you no longer pay NI

Ah but Tim, with 1414 days to go there is still plenty of time for the "rules" to change.

Again.

Iain should be on a home run though. Just gets in a few months before the age starts to creep up to 66.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3786844)   #3638
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Ian,dont bother with the online crappy pages!!
Phone them up,it IS far simpler and faster.You should have hsd a letter telling you of this already?
Sounds like good advice. Thanks Tel.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3786850)   #3639
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Ah but Tim, with 1414 days to go there is still plenty of time for the "rules" to change.
Like when they shafted my wife, giving her about 18 months notice that they'd delayed her pension by 6 years yet the ******* that did it retired a few months ago at 60
Old 13 Dec 2017, 18:45 (Ref:3786864)   #3640
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Like when they shafted my wife, giving her about 18 months notice that they'd delayed her pension by 6 years yet the ******* that did it retired a few months ago at 60
Same here.

It gets worse because her 2 and a bit years older sister took an early retirement option years ago, then went back to a part time role. Now retired again and seemingly very well off.

As sisters they have never been exactly close. They seem to wind each other up without too much effort, although it is all generally quite civilised.

The retirement situation - especially the second retirement falling before the clever politicians changed everything - is a significant factor in that friction as far as my management is concerned.

I try to keep out of it and generally succeed.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3786872)   #3641
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think Mrs Delta will let me spend any of her pension "when she gets it" on motor racing ./Very selfish.Its a bit like Christmas, I go out of my way Christmas eve and pop in to local BP garage ,buy her loads of things and she just sulks all over the Christmas period. I mean flipping heck.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3786876)   #3642
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It does not apply to the State Pension, however, when I worked for a major Life company a clever colleague worked out that if took a reduced pension with an annual increase, it would take 16 years before you had received the same amount as the maximum without the increase, You should live so long!
Old 13 Dec 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3786878)   #3643
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I dont think Mrs Delta will let me spend any of her pension "when she gets it" on motor racing ./Very selfish.Its a bit like Christmas, I go out of my way Christmas eve and pop in to local BP garage ,buy her loads of things and she just sulks all over the Christmas period. I mean flipping heck.
Well, if a gallon of 10w/30 and new set of spark plugs won't win her round, what would?

Have you considered white goods? Maybe a new mangle or something?

A year's supply of TV remote batteries?

I thought about putting the TV licence in a card this year. Then remembered I don't do cards....
Old 13 Dec 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3786879)   #3644
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Well, if a gallon of 10w/30 and new set of spark plugs won't win her round, what would?

Have you considered white goods? Maybe a new mangle or something?

A year's supply of TV remote batteries?

I thought about putting the TV licence in a card this year. Then remembered I don't do cards....
Can you still buy oil & spark plugs from a petrol station? I thought you had to go to a supermarket for those, even though you can buy your groceries & dead flowers at the petrol station.

It's an upside-down world...
Old 13 Dec 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3786891)   #3645
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My father and I spoke quite often about his private pension as I went into financial services about 10 years after he retired.

He woke up when he reached 64 and realised that he hadn't organised a pension for his upcoming retirement. So, he called in a broker and the broker got him a cracking deal (those days are long gone) with, I think, Standard Life whereby if he paid £25,000 a year for three years, then in the 4th year they would provide him with a tax free cash sum of about £25,000, plus a starting pension of around £11,000 p.a., with an annual escalator bonus.

I think that they miscalculated dreadfully. But they dutifully paid out. However, I don't think that they had expected him to live until he was 94. So every year around his birthday we would joke that this would be the year that the insurance company would send a hit man to rid them of this growing debt. His last payment was in excess of £19,000, and over the years they were enough to cover his annual round the world cruise.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3786911)   #3646
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I have a sad story for you . When we still serviced road cars I had one customer who lectured me about getting a pension sorted out . He went on an on about all the money he had paid into his private pension .You know what I am going to tell you , yes poor chap dropped dead one day . He was in his early 50's.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3786913)   #3647
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Another sad story . I might of told you about my life long frien Carlo who has worked for Ferrari all his life . His Dad was great to us when we were kids , he would take us to Reading on the bus on a Sunday afternoon . I remember the tram buses there . We would then go to the cinema and also they had a T V long before we did . Saturday evening I was allowed to go and watch Bonaza . Such happy days . He passed away yesterday at the age of 99. I am shooting over to Italy for the funeral.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3786966)   #3648
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
A press release has arrived from Mazda announcing the results of a survey conducted by Ipsos in major European countries looking at interest in autonomous vehicles.

From a total of 11,008 interviews it transpires that 66% prefer to drive themselves, whilst 33% are enthusiastic about autonomous vehicles. The highest scores were recorded in the UK, Germany, Austria & Poland where 71% prefer to stay behind the wheel. Surprisingly, Italy recorded the lowest score with just 59%. An encouraging note was that numbers did not change amongst the younger generations.

Make what you will of that. The bureaucrats will still plough on because they know best.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 08:53 (Ref:3786969)   #3649
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey!

During the summer we get the occasional rambling post from Delta sent from some far flung hell hole in darkest Europe, usually bemoaning the lack of proper breakfast, or the inability of foreigners to understand simple English.
At times we get tales of sunshine and cycle rides in glamourous locations, all designed to make us stick-in-the-mud types jealous!

Comes the winter, and no continental adventures to relate our Iain has started to regale us with his life story - in excruciating detail.
Anecdotes, memories, legends and myths flow from his keyboard with monotonous regularity during the day - everyday!

It is going to be a long, long off season!
Old 14 Dec 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3786989)   #3650
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Mike, Gerard & anybody else interested in Renault 4CV's - or Alpine history generally - might be interested to read today's Fascinating Fact on Joe Saward's excellent blog: https://joesaward.wordpress.com
Closed Thread