Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 25 Sep 2003, 14:06 (Ref:729767)   #1
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scheckter to Panther?

http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-1782-106.html

looks like a possibility since Ganassi hasn't offered him a contract.

If Scheckter leaves Ganassi, what drivers will be in contention for that 2nd seat?
Old 25 Sep 2003, 14:58 (Ref:729800)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tomas clearly has a lot of ability, but so far he hasn't delivered on it. The amount of mistakes he makes is sometimes unacceptable, but he's had bad luck at times as well.

It's itneresting to wonder how much Hornish has improved under Panther's guidance - Mark Taylor appears to ahve done in the IPS. Neither Eddie Cheever nor Chip Ganassi seem to have helepd him with his temperament, maybe Job Barnes can.

I'm tempted to think that this would be a great mvoe for all four parties - Tomas gets a comeptitive ride with a team he can develop in, Panther get another gifted youngster who can immediately fight for top success, Ganassi can replace him with a leading driver, or simply change to running 1 IRL car and an extra in NASCAR, and the youngster in the second Panther car (Enge? Taylor? Carpenter?) will have someone he can elarn form alongside him
Old 25 Sep 2003, 15:24 (Ref:729821)   #3
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to Tomas, he hasn't too bad a year in 2003, far less mistakes than last season thats for sure. he's led more laps than anyone bar Dixon and should of won a handful of rcaes but for fading late on or mechanical failure, not so many spectacular crashes this season. Ganassi would be silly to let him go but it would be a coup for Panther!
Old 7 Oct 2003, 19:04 (Ref:743291)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting quote from John Barnes...

Quote:
The world thought that I was out of my mind to replace Scott Goodyear with a kid that had NO experence, No race wins, and was just 21 years old. You know even Gary Pedigo my partner didn't think I made the right choice. Well I guess the rest is history. Sam was a Raw talent and we had to teach him what was important and what wasn't...Well he became I think the GREATEST Open Wheel Driver in current history. We plan on doing the same thing with his replacement.
This would suggest that it's a rookie, or at least someone with maybe only 2/3 years experience that's got the drive...sounds a bit like Tomas to me.

By the way, an announcment is going to be made at Texas about who's Sam's replacement is. Another announcement will be made in November, about the sponsorship details and the driver for the no. 5 car.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 19:22 (Ref:743307)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't believe that Chip fought so hard to get Tomas in the first place, only to let him go this year.

Tomas should go somewhere where he can get a few years under his belt, and prove himself to be more than just a bouncing ball.

I haven't followed him as much this year as last, but he was quite spectacular in 2002. Chip must have someone else lined up already; he's never one to be caught out by developments.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 7 Oct 2003, 19:32 (Ref:743315)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He does, He's signed Tony Renna.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 21:51 (Ref:743405)   #7
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
I can't believe that Chip fought so hard to get Tomas in the first place, only to let him go this year.
It is until you think about it. Chip has been spoiled with drivers coming in right away and being up front, Alex, Montoya, Micheal Andretti coming back from F1. He let go of Nicholas Minassian really quick and almost let Bruno go, but he progressed just enough to stay. He parted with Kenny brack after one year, after how bad he wanted him. Chip is usally good at picking a gem of driver but if it isnt going how he planned he will keep looking. Tonnya Renna should do fine, and Thomas Sheckter still has F1 in his blood, unless he gets a good drive (like panther) for next year I see him going somewhere where he can aim for F1
Old 11 Oct 2003, 04:56 (Ref:746950)   #8
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the Indianapolis Star:

Panther Racing will announce today that Tomas Scheckter will replace Hornish in the No. 4 Pennzoil-sponsored car for 2004. Hornish is moving to Team Penske. Panther is expected to field two IRL cars next season, with Infiniti Pro Series champion Mark Taylor the top candidate for the second seat. . . . Arie Luyendyk Jr. won the pole for today's Infiniti Pro Series race# with a lap of 186.282 mph. It was his third pole in two years in the series.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 08:29 (Ref:747020)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Congrats Tomas, I'm sure he'll do well with Panther
Old 11 Oct 2003, 23:28 (Ref:747673)   #10
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team mates back together again
Old 12 Oct 2003, 09:42 (Ref:748032)   #11
B/Mark
Racer

B/Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope it isn't so brief this time!
Old 12 Oct 2003, 15:35 (Ref:748442)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good for Tomas, we'll see how he does -obviously well, but do you get the feelin he thinks he's better than anyone else?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 09:33 (Ref:749225)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ummmm , In this business you HAVE to think that.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 07:36 (Ref:750544)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scheckter aside, does anyone know if Mark Taylor will get a ride for the 2004 season, perhaps in a second Panther car?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 09:16 (Ref:750628)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
looks likely , he is certainly a front runner for it having proved very quick in IPS and has been running the Panther IPS program for a year or so now.

I guess he has earned the chance to show what he can do in the top league but will it be with panther ???
Old 14 Oct 2003, 09:47 (Ref:750647)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reason I asked in the first place is because the Swedish commentators mumbled something about a chance of that happening during the Texas broadcast. Then again, the odds of them actually knowing something concrete aren't exactly high
Old 15 Oct 2003, 14:07 (Ref:752177)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
he has tested for Panther ecently rustyfan and is definately a candidate.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 07:32 (Ref:754085)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Sometimes you stumble across tidbits of info when you least expect to - just saw this at Jayski;

Quote:
Billy Boat at Phoenix: Billy Boat, who until a few days ago never had driven a stock car, plans to make his NASCAR Busch Series debut in the Nov. 1 race at Phoenix International Raceway. Boat, a recipient of primary sponsorship help from the Arizona Department of Health Services, will drive a Dodge Intrepid for Braun Racing, whose other driver is Casey Mears. "It's definitely an opportunity to maybe open up a new direction for me," said Boat, an open wheel veteran who captured the pole position in the 1998 Indianapolis 500. "I like the cars. They feel comfortable. But there's a lot to learn. They drive substantially different than an Indy car."

--/--

Boat, 37, still is hoping to land a full-time Indy Racing League ride next season, and Panther Racing co-owner John Barnes said he is being considered for a possible opening with the team. Panther already has hired Tomas Scheckter to replace departing Sam Hornish Jr. but said the team could field as many as three drivers in 2004. "I'd still like to do something in the IRL, and I'm still talking to Panther," Boat said. "Unfortunately, there's very limited opportunities."
I for one sure hope Barnes is right - three cars by Panther would rock. Scheckter, Taylor (presumably) and Boat - I like the sound of that three-car team

Here's hoping it becomes a reality.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 10:49 (Ref:754226)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well found Rustyfan , sounds like a good plan to me and i will now be looking forward to seeing Billy in his Busch grand National debut (just hope me cable company is carrying that event???)
Old 17 Oct 2003, 10:59 (Ref:754236)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
The Bashas' Supermarkets 200 NASCAR Busch Series race at Phoenix will be aired 3pm on TNT (if you live in the US that is).
Old 17 Oct 2003, 11:14 (Ref:754250)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
nah im in Oz , I have cable but they dont show every round of Busch or Winston cup events , just selected ones so im not sure if that will be one or not until i get next months guide
Old 17 Oct 2003, 11:23 (Ref:754253)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Ok. Well at least you get some of them - I don't get any Busch races at all