Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 20 Dec 2007, 12:38 (Ref:2092643)   #77
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The utterances of Montezemolo are becoming increasingly tiresome, and not a little childish. The case has been resolved in their favour, so now would be a good time to move on.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 12:55 (Ref:2092654)   #78
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The English never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship.
So he's a xenophobe as well as a sore loser and an even worse winner...what a charming gentleman he is.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 Dec 2007, 12:56 (Ref:2092655)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Probably a "small attributes" issue.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:23 (Ref:2092688)   #80
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The English never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship.
I'm sure the many English staff within the Ferrari organization who've loyally stood by Montezemolo throughout the entire spy scandal will be enchanted to hear that this is what he really thinks of them.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:28 (Ref:2092689)   #81
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Why don't Ferrari take some responsibility for the employe who leaked this information in the first place..
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:38 (Ref:2092692)   #82
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ferrari in the wrong? Blasphemy!

You have to keep asking why they didn't pursue this through the law. Possibly because the outcome wouldn't have affected the championship. But then again maybe I'm being cynical.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2092698)   #83
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
I'm sure the many English staff within the Ferrari organization who've loyally stood by Montezemolo throughout the entire spy scandal will be enchanted to hear that this is what he really thinks of them.
Yeah, I was wondering what Ross Brawns thoughts on this were.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:56 (Ref:2092702)   #84
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If Montezemolo is going to take the moral high road then his organisation need to be able to back it up at all times.. That means not cheating, which Ferrari have been doing one way and another for years..
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:23 (Ref:2092719)   #85
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Luca's context was quoted accurately, then i'd say that his generalization of Mclaren's behavior to that of "englishmen" on the whole is inappropriate and poorly thought out, lacking sensitivity that i'd expect.

But given it's the Italian media reporting, won't be surprised if the media had a good day giving the quotes cut and chops to fulfil their own agenda of retaliating, or that the "Englishmen" were directed at Mclaren or the English media specifically.

Quote: "If Montezemolo is going to take the moral high road then his organisation need to be able to back it up at all times.. That means not cheating, which Ferrari have been doing one way and another for years.."

I'm keen to hear more. But anyway, whatever moral road luca is trying to take, he'd be safe in knowledge that even if his team fails him, he has good company waiting.

The anger and retorts from Ferrari and Italian media isn't pretty. It's disappointing, even. But it does underline one fact - that if not for Ferrari's insistence (despite a backlash at that time) to pursue the issue, Mclaren's misdeeds will NOT have been discovered. And up till the 2nd hearing, Mclaren still insist innocence to the extend of promising that with signed statements from many managers. Either the team was plain dumb to the whole issue, or they played dumb.

So you will think that Luca is bound to release his fury back for the hit Ferrari got from the english media and such.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:26 (Ref:2092723)   #86
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
If Montezemolo is going to take the moral high road then his organisation need to be able to back it up at all times.. That means not cheating, which Ferrari have been doing one way and another for years..
these are certainly comments that will come to bit him in the backside in the years to come (considering cheating is so prevalent in all teams...ie in both Mclaren and Ferrari so one of them will step over the line again at some point right?).
but having just read the autosport article and seeing that there is more to the quote, i find it hard not to agree with him that it is wrong that autsport would choose the Mclaren as the car of the year.
endorsing this car as the best of the best is pretty ridiculous and just condones cheating imo. whatever you believe, either Mclaren is evil or Ferrari is, or the FIA just always gets things wrong, the air of uncertainty on both teams' cars should have taken them out of contention.
so that leaves the most surprising/best car this year as the BMW...i mean it used to be a Sauber and now they are 2nd(3rd for you non-believers).
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:30 (Ref:2092726)   #87
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This following was a statement made by Montezemolo :

" The English never miss a chance to demonstrate their lack of sportsmanship. "

No amount of context can justify this. Its tarnishes the entire nation of England, a country where Ferrari make a large percentage of their sales and where they have a loyal fan base, and has got nothing to do with what McLaren did or did not do.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:40 (Ref:2092739)   #88
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No worries, like i've said, if the context by Luca is quoted accurately, i'd not be bothered with finding excuses. Badly thought comments are just badly thought comments.

And it is unfair, because Ferrari had benefitted from the english, such as Brawn, together with the french and the germans. And i'm sure Luca is aware of that.

Luca is scoring an own goal if he really directs it at ALL of englishmen. Or perhaps, he could simply be addressing Mclaren team as "The English" just like many in the media and forums address Ferrari as "The Italians", and not meant to address the entire nation of England.

And it's a weird statement still, because no nation nor teams could claim a higher level of sportsmanship than the other. Look at football, its nasty at times. And in F1, teams run on the edge too often to be sportsman. Mclaren tried to take that route and had much of their teeth kicked out for it, and Luca should have learnt a lesson from that. It could come around quickly, if he spent more time talking than managing his staff.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 16:01 (Ref:2092766)   #89
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Di Montezemelo really is a bloody twerp.

He's like the embarrassing grandmother who makes stupid comments over Christmas dinner.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 16:07 (Ref:2092773)   #90
Gt_R
Veteran

He's just keen to join the ranks of "F1 Grannies Club", we have quite a respectable bunch in there already!

Considering that christmas is coming, don't let naasty luca get your nerves twisted.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 16:29 (Ref:2092787)   #91
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haven't seen this thread for a week I am surprised (not) how one (very stupid) statement of Mr. de M. changed the subject completely.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 22:13 (Ref:2093018)   #92
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm looking forward to next weeks update already...
Old 21 Dec 2007, 00:46 (Ref:2093073)   #93
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a stupid statement from Montezemolo despite many comments in this thread lending some validity to his comments.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 01:59 (Ref:2093093)   #94
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes,it has been the year of the 'stupid statement'.These haven't been confined to Luca or Ferrari.Ron,Max and Flav,to name but a few,have all been there.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 04:01 (Ref:2093125)   #95
Gt_R
Veteran

Indeed, it's unfortunate that such slagging matches are taking place.

If Mclaren is to freeze development on those dubious parts, who will be monitoring the "situation"?
Old 21 Dec 2007, 06:22 (Ref:2093156)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
*Sigh*. I keep asking the same question. Who needs to monitor it? Apparenlty no laws were broken by McLaren or any other team, so why was there a case in the first place?

Complete pile of dog poo.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 07:32 (Ref:2093185)   #97
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting programme on BBC2 last night about a girl called Mitford who sorta shacked up with Hitler, then shot herself, taking months to die because she almost missed her head.
They had a Max Moseley's granny-type relation on there recalling ...
Old 21 Dec 2007, 07:52 (Ref:2093190)   #98
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dog poo? Hitler?

now .. who are the sore losers ? :blah:
Old 21 Dec 2007, 08:09 (Ref:2093196)   #99
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I'm looking forward to next weeks update already...
I'll prepare a christmas story about Saint Ron and the temptations of the evil red dwarfs.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 08:18 (Ref:2093197)   #100
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stepney is already writing that book.