cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
I thought Ralph Firman was British.
He has an Irish passport.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1382904)   #77
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has dual nationality.

Irish mother, British father.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1382981)   #78
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And the bloke from Pakistan has never even been to the country (yet).

Whatever I hope he does well.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 06:43 (Ref:1383304)   #79
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
FCYTravis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
I see Alex Gurney and Adam Langley Khan listed, are'nt they both toilet ( to various degrees) and only in the sport for their parents name/money?
In the case of Alex Gurney, absolutely NOT!

In four Grand-Am starts with the brand-new GAINSCO/Blackhawk Racing organisation, Alex has scored four top-10s, a pole and a second-place finish in the Daytona Prototype class.

He is a very fast and aggressive driver who is proving to be the equal of any sports car pilot in America and he is committed to the DP program this year.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1383638)   #80
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they have got a good chance with ralf as he has done a big part testing and devlopment on this car
Old 16 Aug 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1384113)   #81
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Ireland will announce a reserve driver after their first test at Paul Ricard (August 24th-26th).
Old 21 Aug 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1387846)   #82
cos
Veteran

England
Thought it would be time to consolidate all the teams/drivers/nations in a handy list (mods - would it perhaps be useful to have an A1GP FAQ sticky for this forum, with countries, calendar, TV deals so far etc?)

Australia (ADR) - Jones, Power, Davison & Hackett to test at Ricard.
Brazil (ASM) - they want Kanaan to drive ideally. Piquet has tested; also Dirani, Olivieria and Pizzonia rumoured.
Canada - Andrew Ranger? Sean Mcintosh?
China (McDonald) - Ma Qinghua and Jiang Tengyi
France (DAMS) - Alex Premat? Nicolas Lapierre?
GB (Arden) - Robbie Kerr & Alex Lloyd
Germany (SuperNova?) - Timo Sheider
Italy? - ?
India - Karun Chandok & Ebrahim
Ireland - Firman confirmed. Keohane/Faulkner would be a good choice for 2nd seat.
Lebanon (Carlin) - Khalil Beshir and Basil Shaaba
Malaysia (CMS) - Alex Yoong & Fairuz Fauzy?
Mexico (DAMS) - Luis Diaz, Salvador Duran and others.
Netherlands (Racing For Holland) - Jos Verstappen and Jeroen Bleekemolen
New Zealand (WSR) - Reid & Halliday
Pakistan (SuperNova) - Adam Kahn and Nur Ali
Portugal (Carlin) - Pedro Lamy and Alvaro Parente
Turkey - Artam? Tahinci?
South Africa (BCN) - Simpson? van de Merwe? Scheckter?
South Korea (Autoracing Korea) - ?
Switzerland - Jani?
USA (JVA) - Simmons tested at Silverstone. Speed, Fleming and Jaskol to test at Paul Ricard.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1387867)   #83
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
In the case of Alex Gurney, absolutely NOT!

In four Grand-Am starts with the brand-new GAINSCO/Blackhawk Racing organisation, Alex has scored four top-10s, a pole and a second-place finish in the Daytona Prototype class.

He is a very fast and aggressive driver who is proving to be the equal of any sports car pilot in America and he is committed to the DP program this year.
I think he's in the same case of Luis Diaz, during the last weekend in Watkins Glen he confirm that only in the rounds that don't overlap and after Grand-Am ends, he will take he's place in the primary A1GP seat, in the meanwhile Salvador Duran will take over...

I hope that Alex be selected, i saw many times Alex in Atlantic having cool stints against the other drivers, Luis diaz among them...
Old 22 Aug 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1388640)   #84
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Germany (Super Nova)
Driver: Timo Scheider
Teammanager: Willie Weber
Source: http://www.f1total.com/news/05082107.shtml
Old 23 Aug 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1388958)   #85
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Yep,so did I. Pretty sure he has always apeared under the UK flag in the past. At least he gives us one more decent driver ,with F1 experience racing.
LOL - well according to Mark Gallagher.....

"He raced with an Irish licence in Formula One. He's raced with a shamrock on his helmet. He raced with an Irish team. He has an Irish passport. But, yes, he does have a plummy British accent.

To be honest, at the moment, the only way an Irish driver (outside of rallying) can even get a sniff of a professional career is to up stakes and move to mainland UK. We have some very good "home grown" drivers here - but I doubt they would even be looked at for something like the A1GP - no experience driving more powerful cars, probably very little experience at navigating different race circuits either. Ralph is an excellent choice - with his extensive racing experience, he has a good shot at this and it's becoming a source of great interest in the Irish media.

Motorsport in Ireland (outside of rallying) is gradually dying a death. Lack of TV coverage, lack of sponsorship and rising costs are killing it.

What I would love to see come out of this for the future is that it will significantly raise the profile of motorsport in Ireland - both for potential spectators and potential sponsors. We desperately need this if the sport is to survive here. Money is far more likely to be put into motorsport here if there's an Irish team in a high profile series.

So a huge well done to everyone involved in Team Ireland. I'll be there waving the Tricolour! Rah Rah Ralph!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1388967)   #86
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, Ralph is an excellent choice.

For those who think he's a "Johnny-come-lately" to Irishness, he had an Irish flag on his car in Formula 3, a decade ago.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1389522)   #87
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SPEED

Quote:
Scott Speed (GP2 Series), Colin Fleming (World Series by Renault) and Matt Jaskol (Star Mazda) will share driving duties for Team USA during the three-day A1 Grand Prix group test set to kick off tomorrow (Wednesday) at the Paul Ricard circuit in France.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1389635)   #88
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
China (McDonald) - Ma Qinghua and Jiang Tengyi
Who is team McDonald?
Old 24 Aug 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1390014)   #89
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Indeed, Ralph is an excellent choice.

For those who think he's a "Johnny-come-lately" to Irishness, he had an Irish flag on his car in Formula 3, a decade ago.
He is as Irish as Ryan Giggs is Welsh. Supprised they don't an American driver as of course everyone is Irish in America !!
Old 24 Aug 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1390020)   #90
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
He is as Irish as Ryan Giggs is Welsh. Supprised they don't an American driver as of course everyone is Irish in America !!

Whatever. I'm sure he'll be British if he wins and Irish if he loses. That's the way it usually goes.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1390097)   #91
cos
Veteran

England
Indonesia and Russia also signed up now.

Team USA was officially launched today with a very patriotic looking car!
http://www.*******************/a1gp/
Old 24 Aug 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1390341)   #92
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having looked more into it, I reckon the Korean seat will most probably go to An Suk Won. Gene Lee (who I mentioned earlier) is the other of the "2 Koreans racing abroad". He once competed in the Korean F3 Super Prix, and is now racing in the Asian Porsche Carrera Cup.

More on this Nikolay Fomenko chap here. Seems Paul Ricard was his first ever run in a single seater! Perhaps Viktor Maslov (ex-F3000 driver) would make a good choice for the race drive?

And now that Indonesia is announced, there's only really one choice - Ananda Mikola.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 24 Aug 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1390540)   #93
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USA car looks good
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 24 Aug 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1390541)   #94
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's surprising and disappointing is that John Village is no longer running the USA team
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 25 Aug 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1390725)   #95
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74
Having looked more into it, I reckon the Korean seat will most probably go to An Suk Won. Gene Lee (who I mentioned earlier) is the other of the "2 Koreans racing abroad". He once competed in the Korean F3 Super Prix, and is now racing in the Asian Porsche Carrera Cup.
If you look at the A1GP site you wil see that the flags of Indonesia,Germany & Russia have been added and those of South Korea,Turkey & Italy removed.Looks like those franchises have been cancelled? 20 cars ran yesterday leaving Canada the only country with a flag but no car.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1391044)   #96
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Although I like the idea of the whole series with equal material, there is one thing that the creators missed and that is the teams themselve. The GB team is actually the Arden team (I believe), who will have a lot more experience than a team like Pakistan or the Republic of South Africa. I know in the end the driver will have to do the job, but the set-up of the car still have to be achieved by the team.

I'm sure the Arden team will overcome set-up problems quicker than an unexperienced team like Pakistan...
Old 25 Aug 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1391073)   #97
AlMillion
Rookie

AlMillion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd think so, but I've heard that the car had some SERIOUS setup issues at Silverstone - respect to Robbie for putting it at the top of the timesheets on Day 1
Old 25 Aug 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1391075)   #98
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Although I like the idea of the whole series with equal material, there is one thing that the creators missed and that is the teams themselve. The GB team is actually the Arden team (I believe), who will have a lot more experience than a team like Pakistan or the Republic of South Africa. I know in the end the driver will have to do the job, but the set-up of the car still have to be achieved by the team.

I'm sure the Arden team will overcome set-up problems quicker than an unexperienced team like Pakistan...
Pakistan are being run by SuperNova, a team of a similar level to Arden. Most of the franchise holders have enlisted F3000/GP2/F3 teams to run the cars.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1391129)   #99
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Pakistan are being run by SuperNova, a team of a similar level to Arden. Most of the franchise holders have enlisted F3000/GP2/F3 teams to run the cars.
Correct, see this list.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 05:54 (Ref:1391514)   #100
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
If you look at the A1GP site you wil see that the flags of Indonesia,Germany & Russia have been added and those of South Korea,Turkey & Italy removed.Looks like those franchises have been cancelled? 20 cars ran yesterday leaving Canada the only country with a flag but no car.
There are 23 countries confirmed so far but only 21 are on that list. The 2 countries which are not on that list are South Korea and Turkey. Italy is not one of the 23 confirmed countries.

I hope Italy does get a team.