Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 23 Aug 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2944476)   #51
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
No problem, they can hitch a ride with the other 18,000 that cross the boarder illegally!
Bad post Mr Spritle..
Old 23 Aug 2011, 00:11 (Ref:2944477)   #52
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
This is quite common on SPEED (in the US) at the present time.
Last time we had a USGP, the SPEED guys went to the track, and had a stage set up in the middle of it, and all week long provided live shows from the track. They had all 22 drivers up on the stage for live interviews with some questions from fans in attendance and televised them on Thursday. It was very good promotion, and a lot of good personalities came out...and if there's anything American sports fans want, it's personalities.

I hope they'll have the budget to do this for Austin.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 00:15 (Ref:2944478)   #53
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Last time we had a USGP, the SPEED guys went to the track, and had a stage set up in the middle of it, and all week long provided live shows from the track. They had all 22 drivers up on the stage for live interviews with some questions from fans in attendance and televised them on Thursday. It was very good promotion, and a lot of good personalities came out...and if there's anything American sports fans want, it's personalities.

I remember that it was great, I am sure they will, and I am sure they do...

Now were are the women...
Old 23 Aug 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2944488)   #54
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here are some interesting facts about the geographic origin of the 100,000 spectators at the Grand Prix du Canada in Montreal. The numbers are from an online article by a reporter/blogger for the business section of the Montreal French-language daily, La Presse. His source is the race promoter, Francois Dumontier.

Grand Prix du Canada: une ristourne d'Ecclestone avec ça?
Michel Girard
lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse.ca
June 6, 2011

...Au moins 40% des amateurs du Grand Prix viennent de l'extérieur du Québec, dont 18% des États-Unis et de l'Amérique latine, 18% de l'Europe et de l'Asie, et 4% majoritairement de l'Ontario.

So translating those percentages to numbers based on a total approximate attendance of 100,000 people:

60,000 Montreal and the rest of Quebec
18,000 U.S. & Latin America
18,000 Europe & Asia
4,000 Ontario province Canada
100,000 TOTAL

The thing that strikes me most about those numbers is the significant number of fans who come from Montreal or within an easy drive of Montreal. About half of Quebec's population lives in the greater Montreal metro area so I think most of those 60K Quebec province fans live in or near Montreal. Then there's another 4K in nearby Ontario province.

There's an impressive number of North and South American, European and Asian fans who travel far and stay for the weekend (40-50K?), but it's clear that Montreal's impressive attendance numbers are built on a base of loyal local and regional fans (60K). Can Austin match those numbers? I don't know. It will be interesting to see. One advantage that Austin has is that it is within a fairly easy drive of Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, the 3 biggest cities in Texas.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2944677)   #55
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This was posted to Speed.com today:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...old-at-austin/

Very odd explanation to say the least.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2944684)   #56
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

I'm sure SPEED will do a bang-up job like they did at Indy. I remember seeing the SPEED coverage of free practice and other events on every telly in every pub in Indy.

I really don't know how big an issue it will be broadcast-wise if the whole show is on SPEED versus FOX or another network. 90+% of US households have some form of subscription service for TV whether it is cable or satellite. I have yet to travel to any geography in the US where I was watching cable or satellite where SPEED wasn't available. It is part of most "basic" channel packages. Folks may not watch SPEED regularly but I'd venture to guess it's out there if they go looking for it except of course where the viewer has no control on the available channels such as hotels.

If News Corp who owns SPEED & FOX does proper cross promotion on FOX channels the potential viewership will be duly notified and available to be counted. Where those numbers end up is all about interest not necessarily what channel gets the privilege.

Another consideration is US press coverage. F1 gets about 10 lines annually in print media and almost nothing on mainstream sports broadcasts. I'm sure the Austin newspapers will have front to back coverage during race week like the Indy papers did but what about the rest of the year? If they don't at least post F1 race results in the motorsport section of the sports page or add it to local sports broadcasts beginning right NOW and going forward and PAST next year's USGP....

...they are making a huge blunder.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2944700)   #57
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
This was posted to Speed.com today:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...old-at-austin/

Very odd explanation to say the least.
Here's a link to the article in the Austin paper, the Statesman.

Has work stopped on F1 track?
By Eric Dexheimer | Monday, August 22, 2011, 03:36 PM

Here's one of the comments in reaction to the story:

My neighbor is a concrete contractor and was told by a friend who is a foreman on the project that it is most definitely broke and that several of the current contractors are preparing to sue COTA for non-payment over several months. Apparently, and this is all second hand information, McCombs is getting skittish about the coming economy and wants to pull out to preserve his personal assets for wiser investments overseas, so they’re scrounging at the last second for new investors. That’s the rumor from the construction world at any rate.

I don't know if that's true, but I have been wondering all along about who are the investors in COTA. I know the lead one is billionaire Red McCombs. But I can't imagine that he is putting up all or most of the investment. There's also a local private equity firm involved but we don't know much about them or how much they are contributing. So one is left to wonder whether the project has attracted enough other investors. Maybe the project has suddenly run out of cash. Remember what happened to the USF1 team?
Old 23 Aug 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2944705)   #58
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Here is the link to the article..

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...formula_austin

Let's keep the reporting balanced, thank's
Old 23 Aug 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2944708)   #59
Spritle
Veteran

While not wanting to fan the flames despite my reputation, contractors are like rats on a sinking ship, they are always the first to flee at the first sign of water.

There may be something to this or not but I when I see the first mate or captain looking to jump ship I'll pay more attention.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2944709)   #60
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
..I have yet to travel to any geography in the US where I was watching cable or satellite where SPEED wasn't available. It is part of most "basic" channel packages.
Speed used to be part of the basic package on Time Warner Cable, one of the biggest cable providers in the US. But it was moved to the digital tier a couple years ago. The digital tier requires extra $ and in these difficult economic times, many people have cut back on their cable expenditures. Speed is "available" in about 80M households, but not everyone subscribes to a package that includes it.

As for how many people are watching F1 on Speed...the best rating that I have seen for a race is 0.51. That translates to about 600,000 households watching.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2944710)   #61
Spritle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
As for how many people are watching F1 on Speed...the best rating that I have seen for a race is 0.51. That translates to about 600,000 households watching.
Did SPEED cover the USGP race at Indy or was it FOX or a network? Those would be the most telling numbers to look at for comparison's sake, especially the first year.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2944721)   #62
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Did SPEED cover the USGP race at Indy or was it FOX or a network? Those would be the most telling numbers to look at for comparison's sake, especially the first year.
The 2007 edition was on FOX. 2006 was on SPEED. I know at least one was on ABC. I feel as though the first one in 2000 was on FSN and Speedvision simultaneously.

Can't say I've ever seen the numbers on any USGP broadcast. Only seen the FOX numbers recently.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2944769)   #63
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late breaking news

"Delays" in paying construction workers?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23487.html

Old 23 Aug 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2944774)   #64
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just throwing it out there but im guessing its seriously hot in Austin these days so are work stoppages in the extreme heat a common thing in Texas?

also i was wondering if the Statesman ever reports anything positive?

hoping to find out i found a link on the Statesman site to Austin360.com (im guessing a city guide) and they had a nice little article discussing the positives about the city. its not pro F1 either but still makes me want to visit.

http://www.austin360.com/this-is-aus...g-1632558.html

just though people might enjoy reading something nice about the place.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2944775)   #65
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
just though people might enjoy reading something nice about the place.
Thanks.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2944783)   #66
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no problems. in truth the more i learn about the place the more i want to visit for reasons not F1 related.

from that point of view, even if the race doesn't go as planned the city has raised its profile which can only be a good thing.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2944852)   #67
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
While not wanting to fan the flames despite my reputation, contractors are like rats on a sinking ship, they are always the first to flee at the first sign of water.

There may be something to this or not but I when I see the first mate or captain looking to jump ship I'll pay more attention.
While the statement above holds some truth, as a PM for a large commercial contractor myself, I'm not sure I like being compared to a rat. FWIW, large commercial is a different world from the guys that put a roof on your house. Austin Commercial is a respected mid-sized contractor. No one, however, finances a project for the Owner. They may have the payments worked out but that is out of the norm for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
just throwing it out there but im guessing its seriously hot in Austin these days so are work stoppages in the extreme heat a common thing in Texas?
No. Typically, only rain will stop work and Texas hasn't seen any of that in a minute.

Let's hope they get this worked out and we get to see F1 next year (and the V8s the following!)!
Old 24 Aug 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2944881)   #68
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
No. Typically, only rain will stop work and Texas hasn't seen any of that in a minute.
But I'd be willing to bet they are paying out the ass for the water trucks right now.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 01:37 (Ref:2946042)   #69
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Kudos to Red Bull for understanding better than anyone how to promote F1 (and, in the process, its own brand) in the U.S.

David Coulthard talks donuts, breakfast tacos, and F1 in the U.S.

jalopnik.com

...If only for one weekend, enthusiasts and curious bystanders alike were able to put aside all political discussions and criticisms and enjoy the sights and sounds of Formula One in a never-before-seen setting.

This is exactly what Formula One needs to build excitement in the United States and we hope more teams bring their cars to Texas.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 02:05 (Ref:2946048)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
Kudos to Red Bull for understanding better than anyone how to promote F1 (and, in the process, its own brand) in the U.S.

David Coulthard talks donuts, breakfast tacos, and F1 in the U.S.

jalopnik.com

...If only for one weekend, enthusiasts and curious bystanders alike were able to put aside all political discussions and criticisms and enjoy the sights and sounds of Formula One in a never-before-seen setting.

This is exactly what Formula One needs to build excitement in the United States and we hope more teams bring their cars to Texas.
And to OWR in the US, as the IICS is sadly lacking, especially now Danica has gone to NASCAR.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2946494)   #71
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
I wouldn't glorify Red Bull as doing too much for F1 in the U.S. considering this slightly OT article, where they screwed up what would have been the most important factor to making the sport more popular here: http://www.popoffvalve.com/2011/8/18...search-feature

But c'est la vie. I'm glad they're trying to do some promotion. I'd certainly enjoy something of a U.S. presence in the sport and this race will help if it's a success.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 00:18 (Ref:2946665)   #72
Spritle
Veteran

Any news on the real or imagined work stoppage?
Old 27 Aug 2011, 01:08 (Ref:2946675)   #73
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Any news on the real or imagined work stoppage?
No there is not...
Old 27 Aug 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2946694)   #74
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
I wouldn't glorify Red Bull as doing too much for F1 in the U.S. considering this slightly OT article, where they screwed up what would have been the most important factor to making the sport more popular here: http://www.popoffvalve.com/2011/8/18...search-feature
Jacques, thanks for the link to that article. Very interesting background on how difficult it is to make it as a race driver and especially as an F1 driver. I remember that driver search promotion and it seemed like a contrived idea to me at the time. I never knew the inside story and, now that I do, I agree that Red Bull didn't do a very good job.

I'm afraid the issue of an American driver is a chicken-and-egg problem. Drivers with the talent to make it in F1 won't try to do so if F1 isn't popular in America. And F1 won't be really popular in America until we have a leading driver (not just somebody with a seat on a weak team). It's strange that once upon a time, F1 was popular in America and we had drivers like Phil Hill, Dan Gurney and Mario Andretti. It will take more than just holding a race in the U.S. for those days to return.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:29 (Ref:2947542)   #75
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously having an American driver in F1 would help promotion a lot. Sadly it is not going to happen any time soon.

I have had another look at the new Tilke track and it is going to have that rarity among track - elevation change. Well, that is a step in the right direction. Still have to wait and see how well it comes together.
Closed Thread