Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Feb 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3197459)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HMRN U2TC

U2TC plus others.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3197613)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Also a round of the GT&SCC, just a shame it clashes with the historic meeting at Zandvoort.

When deciding between the two, it came down to 'North Sea' or 'Mediterranean', so I'll leave you to guess where we will be......

Old 18 Aug 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3291224)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just been checking out the next two weeks weather for Le Castellet. Two reliable sites have blips showing -40 degrees C or lower. Am hoping this is computer error!

With the aforementioned Zandvoort clash sounds like grids will be small, but hopefully the sun will shine on us and temps will be high 20s as should be. Expect track temp will be in 40s. 2hr race will require careful control of cooling, brakes, tyres and not least- driver hydration!

Old 18 Aug 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3291237)   #4
Sideways Harry
Rookie

Sideways Harry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Making the trip south from Scotland with the 11- looking forward to it once we've tackled the drive! Blue skies up here this morning so expecting more of the same in a few weeks.

Grid does seem down a bit due to clashes and holidays I guess, but hopefully a few more cars will appear to support what is always an excellently organised series.

New track for us so intrigue coupled with 'how long is that straight? ' are main thoughts so far. New diff should tackle latter....

Off to load car so we can have next weekend off!

Tim
Old 18 Aug 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3291289)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways Harry View Post
Making the trip south from Scotland with the 11- looking forward to it once we've tackled the drive!

New track for us so intrigue coupled with 'how long is that straight? ' are main thoughts so far. New diff should tackle latter....

Tim
That's one in the eye for those that won't travel a couple of hundred miles! Good for you.

Looking at that straight, almost hoping that they use chicane in the middle! We were over revving in top at Monza, so looks like could be more of the same....

Old 3 Sep 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3298454)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Earlier in the season, a choice had to be made between racing Simon's Morgan SLR at Zandvoort, with Masters, or Le Castellet, racing in the GTSCC. The latter appealed on several fronts. Mediterranean versus North Sea, French food versus Dutch (no offence, guys!), possibility of more reliable weather...

After making the commitment to venture south, some less than encouraging comments about the Paul Ricard circuit were offered from some and listened to. Looking at layout maps and aerial pics it certainly looked 'different' and somewhat clinical. Also confusing, with the different permutations possible just by moving a few cones! Mmmm....

So last thursday I trucked up the winding road from Aubagne, just east of Marseille, with that unmistakeable Pine smell wafting in, slightly aprehensive. The rest of the team- Simon and Kate- were already there, and had been met with efficiency and friendliness at the gate. Good start. When I arrived, the proverbial 'scooter man' guided me in through the most fabulous landscaped grounds and modern buildings to the paddock. I unloaded one car at it's garage and then moved to the car park that was allocated to GTSCC. Just a car park but with tree lined avenues, plus electricity and water laid on. Even Better! Signing on was quick and painless, and with cars unloaded, first day over, I went to sleep impressed.

Next morning, in the extra test session booked, we had our first opportunity to assess the circuit for ourselves. The meeting was using the longest 5.861km layout, with addition of a simple 'left right left' chicane in the (very) long Mistral straight. Although not a fan of added chicanes, I felt it preferable to having the engine on or over the rev limit every lap for two hours... First impressions? Confusing! Many places where difficult to see which way track went, and lots of rubber marks going in different directions following other layouts. So after 15 minutes track time each we then had couple of hours to run the experience through our heads before venturing out again. With familairity came more confidence, especially as the circuit must have the widest run off areas of any. Certainly have to go a long way before hitting anything! Conclusion was that the layout was much more fun to drive than it looked, with some flowing sections and some technical stuff. Certainly not 'micky mouse', though.

Qualifying on saturday was on new tyres and pads, and I set our fastest lap on my third then handed over to Simon for the rest of the session. We were only a few seconds off the pace of the class leading Healey and John Emberson and Bill Wykeham in the former's SLR. Not bad for first visit, and the race was going to be 2hrs!

That evening the circuit laid on a BBQ for everyone, and of such quality that it was difficult not to over indulge! In fact the catering was superb all weekend, and well up to the standard of the whole facility. Am now on simple food and water for few weeks.... At around 10pm a full-bore open air disco commenced, just as I was turning in. Fortunately earplugs reduced the volume enough, especially when the French pop music started.

The race was due to start on 1015 sunday, when we assumed it would be cooler. Wrong! Air temperature 30.5 degrees at the start, 32 degrees at end. And not a cloud in the sky. The GTSCC rules for a 2 hr race require two pit stops, and no stint longer than 50 minutes. The owner also has to do 50% at least of the race. That meant Simon starting, handing over at circa 45 mins, me doing exactly 50, then Simon back in for remainder. Any safety car between 20 and 50 he would pit early, then do a longer stint at end. Clear? In the event, no SC and so all went to plan. Car was faultless apart from high water temp that is usual for it in high ambient, and we both improved laptimes considerably from qualifying. Result was class 3rd behind the Healey and other SLR, 5th o/a. All on same lap, which was good, and us closing on class P2 in latter stages. I posted our fastest lap of 2:47.09, just 3/4 second away from the Emberson/Wykeham car. Very pleased considering my first visit!

So a great weekend. Enjoyed the circuit, the company, loved the facilities, the surrounding area (the old Le Castellet town for instance), the weather.... Very glad we made the trip- Just a shame grids were so small!

Old 4 Sep 2013, 05:45 (Ref:3298669)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a bad little place,is it Mike? Sounds like you'll be going again
Old 4 Sep 2013, 06:34 (Ref:3298679)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There is another meeting there at beginning of October. John and Bill are going again. They are 'regulars' apparently! Unfortunately not time for us as will be leaving for Jerez on the Sunday....

OK, the circuit doesn't have a wonderful sense of history like Monza, or the flowing, undulating enjoyment of Dijon, but certainly a better track than a lot I could mention!

One reason given to me afterwards for some drivers not liking it was that it takes too long to learn.....
Old 4 Sep 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3298704)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

One reason given to me afterwards for some drivers not liking it was that it takes too long to learn.....
heard that excuse about the Nordschleife too !
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3298800)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There is another meeting there at beginning of October. John and Bill are going again. They are 'regulars' apparently! Unfortunately not time for us as will be leaving for Jerez on the Sunday.....
Mike - do you race full time??!!!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3298807)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Some history and Bernies money!

It was built as home of French G P and its a pity they moved it to that place In the north.Frog politics .

The October Race is a Peter Auto affair and I would suggest anyone who is thinking of doing LMC enters the Ricard race.

G T S C C is a superb series and it says a lot for Flav and Ness that they ran the race with so few entries.
Zandfort a lot cheaper and closer
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3298810)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
He trucks full time and races inbetween!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3298868)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
He trucks full time and races inbetween!
sounds a more glam life than being stuck in an office starring at a Bloomberg screen all day!!!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3298876)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
G T S C C is a superb series and it says a lot for Flav and Ness that they ran the race with so few entries.
Zandfort a lot cheaper and closer
Spot on John. We decided at beginning of season to support them all way through and that is what we are doing. All I can add is that those who made the trip had a great weekend!

Oh, and you are both taking da ****! It's 30% car prep, 30% truckie, 30% racing.... That leaves 10% for life in between!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3298910)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

If I were the GTSCC organisers I would base it in UK ,as May Silverstone,with an odd race on the big bit of Euope as we are seeing that people are less inclined to travel across the cut than in past years except for the very large meetings.

Spa is close along with Ring but Dijon seems to be the farthest point where you can get a decent grid for a normal series meeting.

Just driven up from South of France and it is a long way for us old people and as there are very few young people playing it reduces any possibility of a decent size grid.

Change from fifteen years ago where I seem to remember driving the cars back on the Sunday to UK after the South Coast finish of Tour Auto.

Those were the days!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3298945)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
If I were the GTSCC organisers I would base it in UK ,as May Silverstone,with an odd race on the big bit of Euope as we are seeing that people are less inclined to travel across the cut than in past years except for the very large meetings.
It could happen.... I can't see the likes of Monza Coppa Intereuropa Historica and Le Castellet being supported again by organisers, with such poor competitor response.

BTW, It wasn't just that grid that was small at Ricard. U2TC, 1000km and Italian FJ were similarly sized. Only healthy grids were the French series, of which the meeting was a championship round. And before anyone suggests that U2TC was hit by Zandvoort clash, there were only 16 Pre 66 Touring Cars entered there, of which 7 were over 2 litres!

IMHO as much to blame was the timing- during the main European holiday period.

Old 4 Sep 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3299096)   #17
Sideways Harry
Rookie

Sideways Harry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to hear all the views on the weekend and on the way forward.

First time at the track for us. Drive down from Glasgow not too bad. Clear run all the way down to Dijon in a day then about 5 hours down from there the next day. I guess for us there will always be a bit of a journey, but most people have a good head start on us!

The set up on arrival was pretty impressive - immaculate grounds and complex. HVM who organised the event very friendly, issue of tickets etc all straight forward and scrutineering a breeze - I've certainly had more issues elsewhere in France.

Weekend for us went downhill pretty rapidly after that sadly. Only handful of laps managed on free practice day due to some niggling issues - fuel pump failure and a wire broke inside of the alternator. Could have been the kerbs which I'd admit we're a bit severe if you strayed off line which was easy to do when finding your way around the mass of colours that surrounded the track and working out just where the chicane was on the back straight. Anyway some masterful soldering from Simon (of red SLR fame) with technical assistance from Mike's superb travelling workshop sorted out alternator and we were all set for Saturday's qualifying.

I made the mistake of saying that Saturday would only get better....

The old boy did a few laps in qualifying, handed over to me and I managed half a lap when at about mid revs sudden thud, loss of power, lots of steam and smoke and a conrod through the block. Weekend and I suspect season over! Not to mention long drive back up!

We desperately wanted to support race as numbers were low but sadly not to be.

On the question of the way forward. Such is the calendar and competition for slots/ events etc etc, it may become tricky to avoid clashes. The weekend at Paul Ricard was a blip by all accounts- a clash with Zandvort and holidays affected half the races including our grid.

But it is well supported series by in large with a strong home support so perhaps the comments about more UK events could well be a way forward. But for sure there couldn't be two nicer people that run the series who strive to run a fair series with a good grid of cars and excellent hospitality. A pretty sound foundation if you ask me.

Tim
Old 5 Sep 2013, 10:02 (Ref:3299312)   #18
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike....glad that you had another successful outing....gutted not to have been there in the 356 as we enjoy Paul Ricard.

Are there any results published anywhere, I would be interested to see who did what in GTSCC.

Looking forward to Portimao!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 5 Sep 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3299315)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Mike....glad that you had another successful outing....gutted not to have been there in the 356 as we enjoy Paul Ricard.

Are there any results published anywhere, I would be interested to see who did what in GTSCC.

Looking forward to Portimao!
Not many did anything, Will! PM me email address and I'll forward results to you. Not good at links on iPad....

Old 5 Sep 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3299412)   #20
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Not many did anything, Will! PM me email address and I'll forward results to you. Not good at links on iPad....

Thanks Mike....I see what you mean about scarcity of entries! Flav and Ness will not be able to continue as is if this is the support they are getting.

You and John R are sadly correct...we will not be going on our European trips with GTSCC next season..a great shame.
Mag 7's #60
Old 5 Sep 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3299414)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

All this talk is making me curious as to how big the grid was - 5th might start to look less impressive when full colour is provided!!
Old 5 Sep 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3299432)   #22
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
All this talk is making me curious as to how big the grid was - 5th might start to look less impressive when full colour is provided!!

11 qualified...it looks like 9 started.
Mag 7's #60