Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Oct 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2570109)   #26
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It will return to a racing circuit if that is what the Wheatcrofts want or if not commercial building land.

It's as easy as that.

Can't see that proximity to airport has anything to do with racing team being based there. The question that should be asked is how much does any organisation have to spend . I doubt an extravagant new HQ would be on anyone's agenda at present especially Prodrive.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2570118)   #27
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem is that poor old Tom is not the man he used to be and Wheatcroft Jnr has no interest apart from renting the place out.
Can't see the local populace keeping their opinions to themselves over any kind of test facility such as Prodrive,even if it meant more local job opportunities.That,apart from it becoming another commercial developement,[would that be allowed in what is actually parkland?]
would likely mean the Wheatcroft family shelling out.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2570900)   #28
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Prodrive own an ex RAF airfield between Gaydon and Warwick. Dunno if the runway still works, but it certainly has a test track. It's where the Mcrae Gathering pictures were taken.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 18:51 (Ref:2570923)   #29
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Already Industrial use on the land - Old Rolls Royce Factory for one and did not the recent planning permission include more commercial use other than just a race track extension

Plus the Wheatcroft family will not want to up set the old boy by giving up on his pride and joy - seems to me there is a few years rent free deal to be had there for any solvent circuit companies - or else the family could use the millions DVLL paid for the lease.

Also if Silverstone take back the GP and carry out major redevelopment they will be out of action for a period.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2571063)   #30
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
TR8ER#7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a local, spectator and racer I hope a useable circuit is in place for the 2010 season - and 'available' to the grass-roots club racer. Highly unlikely, I suspect.

I also suspect it's unlikely that commercial/industrial developments would be a viable investment in the near-term. There are a number of these available and under construction already in the area - and seeing how long some of these have been in-build, they probably aren't selling like hot cakes.

One development ~ 2 miles north of the circuit:
http://www.clowesgroup.com/developme...t.php?dev_id=9

There are plans/applications for ~1000 new homes around Castle Donington already:
http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/doclib/...n%20081009.pdf
(The circuit is ~ 0.5 mile south of the plan)

Personally I can't see that the schools & doctors can cope but I doubt that will stop the developers.

A taxi driver recently told me that the Wheatcrofts were selling their intrests in the circuit - including the Museum exhibits (I'll let you decide if that's a reliable source or not)
Old 28 Oct 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2571201)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If there is any merit in the last statement maybe Uncle Bernie will become the new owner, a nice base for his collection, do we see a plan coming together?
Old 28 Oct 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2571503)   #32
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
If there is any merit in the last statement maybe Uncle Bernie will become the new owner, a nice base for his collection, do we see a plan coming together?
Would not hold your breath Al.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2571525)   #33
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR8ER#7 View Post

There are plans/applications for ~1000 new homes around Castle Donington already:
http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/doclib/...n%20081009.pdf
(The circuit is ~ 0.5 mile south of the plan)

I expect when the new people move in they'll complain about the noise and try and get the circuit closed anyway.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2571548)   #34
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I can see where you're coming from here Al, but usually Bernie seems to like to keep his collection secret (isn't it all locked away at Biggin Hill?). I don't think he'd like the idea of 'The Great Un-Washed' being able to see his cars, usually that privelige is saved for far wealthier and influential people.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2571557)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And if the two collections were merged, or at least displayed at the same location, do we really want such a priceless collection all in one place? One disaster and that's a fair bit of racing heritage down the Swannee!
Old 28 Oct 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2571681)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Last time I saw BE collection it was palletised at Biggin Hill.He owns the Airport.

Need a place like Collier collection in Naples FL.New building,110 great cars,and only two Standing Donkey's one of which happened to win Le Mans.Not open to public.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:05 (Ref:2572491)   #37
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
do we see a plan coming together?
Yeah, to get rid of the British GP like the cynics said 15 months ago
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2572524)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and then Silverstone can concentrate on making truly great the Superbikes and the Classic Meetings
Old 1 Nov 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2573326)   #39
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yeah, to get rid of the British GP like the cynics said 15 months ago
According to the 'Beeb' an they know their stuff the razor sharp man was a victim of the banking crisis, now the lot in Downing St are planning to sell our banks; and if Bernie is in the 'Q' along with Sir Virgin...... they could loan the money to.... and the guessing game is still on.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2573356)   #40
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thought the Superbikes are moving to Donington and Moto GP to Silverstone?

As an aside,why do they boo Stoner as he is one of three best riders along with Doctor and the stroppy Spaniard.

Donington will revert to second tier events and get on with it as there seems to be little enthusiasm for doing other things with the land unless the business rates and general overheads screw them .At that point bring back the cows and sheep.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2573360)   #41
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Just had news that Tom Wheatcroft has died.

A great Motorsport character and one that will be missed.

All bets off for future of Donington.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2573361)   #42
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Oh no, thats that then presumably.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2573374)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post

Sad news indeed RIP Tom.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2573378)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes sorry goes without saying, RiP Tom. I went to his daughters wedding reception years ago and was hoping to meet the old guy but for some reason he was not there I think it may have been health problems even back then.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2573412)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

It's a sad day after all the recent Donington related news. What a fitting memorial it would be for the circuit to be returned to use for all enthusiasts to enjoy.

RIP Tom
Old 1 Nov 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2573478)   #46
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:

Agreed
Old 1 Nov 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2573542)   #47
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Really sad news; I hope his family will not allows his life's-work to be demolished.
Donington should remain!!!!!
Old 1 Nov 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2573598)   #48
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it was not the last few months of torment with the Gillett affair that finished him off. it must have been terrible to see your life's work ruined by an unscrupulous git like Gillett.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2573749)   #49
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It was cancer
The Wheatcrofts knew exactly what they were getting into when the deal was signed.The Tom medical condition is one thing where Gillett and his mates had no part of ,although the Gillett script didn't work out precisely as the Wheatcroft family thought.

It's a bad day when you lose as important person as Tom and lets celebrate the good things as we all know what a cock up the last eighteen months has been with Donington but its not solely Gillett.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2573759)   #50
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's a bad day when you lose as important person as Tom and lets celebrate the good things as we all know what a cock up the last eighteen months has been with Donington but its not solely Gillett.
No, it's mostly down to the poisoned dwarf.
Closed Thread