Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Feb 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3508955)   #101
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
So Clearwater, AF Corse, Phoenix (even added a car) etc are not regulars ?
Almost guaranteed that Nissan, M-Sport and HTP will return next year aswell as those regulars.
And to add a little balance to your argument, let's add that it's incredibly expensive to come out.

Last edited by Reload; 25 Feb 2015 at 20:06.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3509036)   #102
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
let's add that it's incredibly expensive to come out.
Agree this would be a bigger factor. If the race only even remains as good as it was this year, in all aspects, I can't see anyone not wanting to come back.

Anyone have any rough costs how much it would cost a European team to field 2 cars at the 12 hr?
Old 25 Feb 2015, 23:44 (Ref:3509044)   #103
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
do we need the european teams? (I know its nice and we would like them, but thats different to need)

Or will we be satisfied with european and international drivers.

36 cars in the local championship now, combined with the NZ boys and maybe a few Asian teams we have a pretty good field for the 12 hour including about 12 manufacturers
Old 26 Feb 2015, 00:08 (Ref:3509052)   #104
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Agree this would be a bigger factor. If the race only even remains as good as it was this year, in all aspects, I can't see anyone not wanting to come back.

Anyone have any rough costs how much it would cost a European team to field 2 cars at the 12 hr?
MRS from Germany are wanting to come over next yr with the Nissan. Looking for 3,drivers at 120thousand euros for a seat... Bit expensive
Old 26 Feb 2015, 01:59 (Ref:3509100)   #105
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post

I remember hearing $250,000 for the 2 Cirtek Porsches that came out for the 24hr in 02 & 03.

Mal Rose told me $250,000 to take his Commodore to the Nurburgring in 07.

So safe to say it would have to be quite a bit over that now.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 07:01 (Ref:3509140)   #106
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell_End View Post
People carry on about how much of a success the 12hr has been in recent years, but how many of the international teams have been repeat customers?? not many one or two year stabs at it and that's it... what does that say/mean?? well for me they either don't like the track... not likely... Don't like the organiser... not likely, may of been ****ed around with 7/10 deal but only in the best interest of the event you would say... Don't like the attitude of the drivers... well not really the fault of the lower class drivers really and more so a problem with the upper class ones, and will only get worse with more "v8 classed" drivers joining the fold... no real patience to wait for the right time to pass and unless they "fix" this the big boys from the gt3 motherland will stop coming to play and we will end up with a fizzer of an event... Some will claim the event is now big enough to handle the lack of repeat customers from some quarters but really that will probably be the death of the event... Don't get me wrong I think the place is perfect for a world class gt3 12-24hr, but it ain't going to survive unless we stop getting 5+ hours of s/c, the internationals won't see they benefit after the novelty wears off for them, won't take long
What overseas teams haven't been repeat customers?
Old 26 Feb 2015, 12:21 (Ref:3509219)   #107
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
If there are 30 occasions that warrant it, I'm happy with 30 safety cars.
In the quote from James O'Brien about safety cars he was talking from the perspective of how exciting all the restarts are after a safety car, he wasn't talking about whether they were all warranted or not

Quote:
Who wants to see a marshall run over? or a driver slam into a tilt tray?

Its driving standards that need fixing, all else is fine.
Nobody wants to see any of those scenario's.

My point was exactly the second line of your post.

The SC boards were out at Hell Corner for the Conroy/Denyer Porsche, a tractor was on the side of the track in the process of dragging the Porsche out of the sand, and hordes of cars were rounding Hell Corner at close to race speeds trying to catch the safety car train.

That situation is just as dangerous as there being no safety car being called, surely?

It's not just in the 12hr that this happens of course, remember Jamie Whincup outbraked himself and ran off the track at Hell Corner under safety car conditions in the late stages of the 2014 Supercheap Auto 1000 at Bathurst, while trying to catch the safety car (and round Hell Corner before those who pitted came out)
Old 26 Feb 2015, 14:50 (Ref:3509288)   #108
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
What overseas teams haven't been repeat customers?
The one that comes straight to mind for me is Black Falcon, came in 2012 but not been back. Were the 2 Mercs that Erebus started with the Black Falcon cars?
Old 27 Feb 2015, 04:54 (Ref:3509514)   #109
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with racer69. Safety cars themselves can lead to very dangerous situations, especially somewhere like Bathurst.

Cars trying to catch the train aren't exactly taking it easy. I know there have been a few hits with cars catching the back of the train across the top, but there have been a lot more very near misses.

And as pointed out, drivers often don't slow down when passing marshals working on track unless they really have to. This behaviour really needs to be stamped out. They should enforce first gear only within maybe 200m either side of marshals on track.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 06:52 (Ref:3510243)   #110
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there any punishment given to the Audi driver who ran into the back of the Ferrari behind the safety car?

On another note I wonder if recovery trucks using a hook bin style flat tray for easier recovery of GT cars? Drop the tray on the ground, winch the car on, strap it down then lift the tray back up.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3510909)   #111
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Was there any punishment given to the Audi driver who ran into the back of the Ferrari behind the safety car?

On another note I wonder if recovery trucks using a hook bin style flat tray for easier recovery of GT cars? Drop the tray on the ground, winch the car on, strap it down then lift the tray back up.
No, nor should there be. It was an accident caused by both of them playing catch up, badly.

Yes, some of those recovery trucks used at Bathurst were completely unsuitable. VRR 458 was arse dragged in qualifying, when the rear brakes locked on, they winched it up the tilt tray with the front wheels hanging in the air, the splitter dragging up the deck, and the rear wheels locked solid and being dragged on the ground, wrecking two brand new tyres.

This damaged the splitter, the front floor subframe, the diffuser, the rear bumper and even the tow hitch itself.

All they needed was an 11mm spanner on the truck, and they could have cracked off the rear bleed screws and rolled it on easy, if the truck bed could have gone flat enough.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 04:00 (Ref:3510995)   #112
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, nor should there be. It was an accident caused by both of them playing catch up, badly.
Are there not penalties for careless or reckless driving? My opinion is we should expect/enforce a higher standard of driving than crashing behind the safety car.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 04:19 (Ref:3511001)   #113
gwg1010
Rookie

gwg1010 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like the Invitational class will be opened up as well with V8s admitted, I hope they have to rune a restrictor the same size as the Mercedes though.

Last edited by gwg1010; 3 Mar 2015 at 04:21. Reason: spelling
Old 3 Mar 2015, 04:59 (Ref:3511008)   #114
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwg1010 View Post
It looks like the Invitational class will be opened up as well with V8s admitted, I hope they have to rune a restrictor the same size as the Mercedes though.
Do you have a link or any more info on this ?
Old 3 Mar 2015, 05:16 (Ref:3511013)   #115
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwg1010 View Post
It wouldn't matter what cars are allowed into the Invitational class, as they are governed by an uncompetitive outright laptime they are not allowed to go under.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 06:37 (Ref:3511023)   #116
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
It wouldn't matter what cars are allowed into the Invitational class, as they are governed by an uncompetitive outright laptime they are not allowed to go under.
Wonder if we will see that lap time reduced
2.15 in 2014
2.12 in 2015
2.10 in 2016?

speedcafe

Quote:
While the Class I time benchmark has already been lowered by three seconds compared to the 2014 race, McLeod believes it should be lowered again for the 2016 event to allow the car’s true potential to be unleashed.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 00:55 (Ref:3511421)   #117
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
this would be the news some have been hoping for

GERMAN GIANTS UNVEIL NEW GT3 WEAPONS

Quote:
The two new cars are expected to be eligible for both the Australian GT Championship and Bathurst 12 Hour next year due to their homologation with the FIA taking place during 2015.
although i shall wait and see on this with new merc
Old 4 Mar 2015, 01:01 (Ref:3511424)   #118
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
We'll certainly see the new R8 LMS next year at Bathurst if Phoenix return. As for the Merc, waiting to see what Betty does.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 04:25 (Ref:3511481)   #119
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
We'll certainly see the new R8 LMS next year at Bathurst if Phoenix return. As for the Merc, waiting to see what Betty does.
Are Erebus reshelling Mr Haber's Adelaide SLS write-off?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Mar 2015, 06:00 (Ref:3511497)   #120
JDM1980
Rookie

JDM1980 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Wouldnt the chassis be beyond repair after a hit like that though??? Will Davison seemed to think so as he was commentating AGT race.... I'd personally love to see Erebus move to a Viper, vette or new Lambo Hurracan
Old 4 Mar 2015, 07:09 (Ref:3511511)   #121
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Who knows? Haven't heard anything about the chassis since Clipsal.

I'm guessing Betty will go with whatever manufacturer offers good customer support. Mercedes has a good programme which they should continue with the new car but quite sure you couldn't say the same about the new Viper (of which there is only like 3-4 in the world and 2 are pretty much factory run). Callaway with the Vette are an unknown as are Lamborghini with the Huracan but I guess if Reiter can offer customer support then so can the factory.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 08:53 (Ref:3511545)   #122
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Who knows? Haven't heard anything about the chassis since Clipsal.

I'm guessing Betty will go with whatever manufacturer offers good customer support. Mercedes has a good programme which they should continue with the new car but quite sure you couldn't say the same about the new Viper (of which there is only like 3-4 in the world and 2 are pretty much factory run). Callaway with the Vette are an unknown as are Lamborghini with the Huracan but I guess if Reiter can offer customer support then so can the factory.

Where it gets important is that Erebus may have to source a new car.. and if the AMG GT is not homologated for the B12H, will they spend the money on a car that is soon to be superseded?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Mar 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3511588)   #123
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Well if the new Merc is homologated for 2015 then it should be eligible. The plan is to race it later this year so should be homologated for this year.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 21:34 (Ref:3511807)   #124
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where it gets important is that Erebus may have to source a new car.. and if the AMG GT is not homologated for the B12H, will they spend the money on a car that is soon to be superseded?
It'll be reshelled. The new car isn't eligible until next year.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 09:19 (Ref:3511956)   #125
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Merc gets homologated this year so will be eligible for next years race.