Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Feb 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3509086)   #26
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Watch for couch fires everywhere but especially on the viewing mound at the hairpin on the last lap.
That's why I like the Outside of T7 at night.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 01:41 (Ref:3509095)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
That's why I like the Outside of T7 at night.
Fair point!

I like being close to the action:

I'd rather be close to a burning couch than these when they were burning:
Old 26 Feb 2015, 01:47 (Ref:3509098)   #28
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This may sound like nannying, but that looks just moronic and dangerous drunken games. In Finland there'd sure be couple of arrests for action like that.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 02:03 (Ref:3509101)   #29
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
This may sound like nannying, but that looks just moronic and dangerous drunken games. In Finland there'd sure be couple of arrests for action like that.
It does sound like it, it is indeed drunken buffoonery, and I've ever been to Finland but have been to Florida on Spring Break when there's no beach where this kind of thing just "happens".

Fire is only a small part of what is Green Park.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 13:00 (Ref:3509245)   #30
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is more or less harmless drunken buffoonery. The only real problems with Green Park are sleeping (it is not allowed) and watching your beer stash (it will suddenly become someone else's if you turn your back.) Otherwise, yes there is some amount of loud, drunken revelry, and I wouldn't go to Turn Ten to ask about the running order, but just about everyone is having fun

I won't say it has never happened, but I haven't ever seen a fight at Sebring, and never heard anything about some large, drunken brawl. I have never heard about drunk fans hassling other fans, or about anybody being harassed.

The far reaches of Green Park are not a place to camp if you want to sleep early and rise early, but a great place to watch the race.

Inside Turn Ten from the entry to the corner and all the way down to Turn Eleven is a great spot to watch from day or night. Great action, and you can see which drivers have mastered the track surface (read: large, ill-placed bumps) and how close to the edge they are willing to push. Ten is a great overtaking zone and one of the corners where drivers have to hang it out a little for a good lap time.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3509282)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I've never seen a fight and never have had beer stolen there. Funny enough, Ive also never have had trouble sleeping in GP.

It's such a cool place and awesome event. It's also the only place I've seen someone passed out at 10 am, sitting on a couch, beer in hand, on the third tier of scaffolding.

Sorry. Pre-race thread for Sebring is turning into the Pre-Event thread, which that is what it is, an event. Wish I was going.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3509290)   #32
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
What is the difference between attending the Daytona 24 vs the Sebring 12 hr? I guess the lack of grandstands is a biggie? You probably only can see 1 or 2 turns at the Sebring at a time compared to Daytona where you can see all the way around at times.

At Sebring you can't see the whole track at once but you can walk pretty much all of it. You can be close enough to smell the cars and feel the wind as they go by. It gets dark - they actually need the headlights. There are mounds spread around for viewing and several large screens.
The atmosphere is very old world, much like Watkins Glen in the USGP days. Green park is full of drunks, but happy, not mean, drunks. Everybody is there to enjoy the event - even the officials. One year one of the parking attendants gave me her spot in an otherwise full lot!

Also - it will undoubtedly be warm to hot!
Old 26 Feb 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3509313)   #33
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some Sebring info from Olly ...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...id=91811457493

L.P.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 17:23 (Ref:3509326)   #34
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry. Pre-race thread for Sebring is turning into the Pre-Event thread, which that is what it is, an event. Wish I was going.
I'm happy to take care of this. And talk about the racing again. As far as entries go, I can't see anybody not at Daytona who will be at Sebring. Prototype will lose the #02. I guess GTLM will lose the #51. Not sure about the blue classes though.

Last year's pole time were:
Prototype 1:51.9
LMPC 1:54.8
GTLM 1:58.9
GTD 2:04.2

My thoughts is that P and LMPC could go slightly slower. GTLM for sure will be faster. I really hope for at least a little bit of rain too. No TUSC race has had one yet. It will be interesting because I bet those Conti tires are not all that great and the Michelins and Falkens are very good!

So yeah any thoughts about my speculation/predictions are welcome!
Old 26 Feb 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3509342)   #35
Maelochs
Veteran

Those of us planning to be trackside would probably not agree about rain. Do your rain dance for some other race, please.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 05:16 (Ref:3509517)   #36
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wet (on track) Sebring is such a rarity though

Old 27 Feb 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3509730)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I am pretty sure it is required to rain on Friday every year at Sebring.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3509756)   #38
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am pretty sure it is required to rain on Friday every year at Sebring.
Funny you say that. At the PGA Honda Classic golf event in nearby Palm Beach. It was pouring this morning. If that was race day the first 3 hours of the Sebring 12 hours would be wet. Its florida baby it can happen.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3509817)   #39
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wet (on track) Sebring is such a rarity though

I've done track days in the wet there in my MR2 Turbo...Even had track sessions suspended due to lightning (safety for the track workers).

It's supposed to rain most of this weekend for the Vintage races this weekend. I wanted to go tonight and practice some night photography panning, but it's going to be miserable...
Old 1 Mar 2015, 04:53 (Ref:3510229)   #40
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Green Park is the special place that shows you that sportscar fans aren't too much different than NASCAR fans. ;]
Old 2 Mar 2015, 03:05 (Ref:3510559)   #41
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had all the connections in place for the race then found that I can't go. I have four Supertickets and two parking passes for anyone who is still looking for them and looking to go. DM me and I can put you in touch with our contacts. Would love to put them into the hands of fans who want to go. Possibly, even a house on a lake, which might still be available, which we had to give up. Maybe even two more with another parking pass. I also have the name of the house owner.

Last edited by pdxracefan; 2 Mar 2015 at 03:15.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 05:41 (Ref:3510579)   #42
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Green Park is the special place that shows you that sportscar fans aren't too much different than NASCAR fans. ;]
At least in the state of Florida.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 06:52 (Ref:3510584)   #43
Deleted
Veteran

So, the world's most technologically advanced race cars have returned to magnificient Sebring for week long on track action and are already at the site. That's pretty exciting, can't wait to see few glimpses and pieces. Then the domestic prutos and gang have their little after party or whatever it is they do next week but that's not as important.

Old 2 Mar 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3510723)   #44
jasonjessica09
Veteran

I wonder if Lanky Turtle (or anybody else) can get some videos in. Happen to be in the area anybody?
Old 2 Mar 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3510780)   #45
AFC-911
Racer

I'm back in St. Pete, but here's some shots I took this past weekend's action.

(no spy shots, but there were some ALMS & GTP machinery running to get you guys excited)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lucidl...7651111917881/
Old 2 Mar 2015, 16:49 (Ref:3510811)   #46
Deleted
Veteran

Who was running the factory numbered GT1 Corvette?
Old 2 Mar 2015, 17:18 (Ref:3510816)   #47
AFC-911
Racer

Robert Blain was running the #64 Corvette. Travis Engen was running chassis #606 Audi R8 (pictured behind the 1990 Chevy Intrepid GTP).

The Robertson Ford GT was there, but didn't run...
Old 3 Mar 2015, 13:56 (Ref:3511160)   #48
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So, the world's most technologically advanced race cars have returned to magnificient Sebring for week long on track action and are already at the site. That's pretty exciting, can't wait to see few glimpses and pieces. Then the domestic prutos and gang have their little after party or whatever it is they do next week but that's not as important.
You need a new bit.

As has been mentioned by credible outlets many a time, the Austin WEC race has the least amount of sponsorship involvement of any WEC event. If there were a viable market for these cars to race here, they would be. It's a sad fact.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3511177)   #49
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
x2.

I always got excited for the Sebring winter tests. I would go if schedule allowed, but if I didn't get to attend the test, it was no big deal since I knew the 12 hour was right around the corner anyway. It's completely flipped now. I'm bouncing in my chair over thinking that some of the top tier teams still hold the track to be a worthy testing ground, and are there now. I have 12 hour tickets at home...excitement levels not the same.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3511182)   #50
philipp
Rookie

Brazil
philipp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you guys think that someone is going to post some lap times and speed of the Audi and the Nissan?

I'm curious about what this Nissan can do...