Old 29 Jul 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2510516)   #1
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
iPhone Racing Games

Morning all,

Has anyone tried any decent racing games for the iPhone? I notice that there is a Brawn GP game, not sure if it's official, but the screenshots look quite good. Not sure about the gameplay, anyone played it?

Any other good racing games that I can check out?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 30 Jul 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2511562)   #2
Maxwell Murder
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Maxwell Murder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've played a few racing games on my iPod touch, so I could be some help. My favourite is SlotZ Racer it's a must, in my opinion. It's a great slotcar racing game with loads of features. It's not free, $1.19AU from the App store, which is very cheap compared to other apps I've downloaded.

It has two single player modes, Quick Race and Single Player. Quick Race puts you in a random car and track for a set amount of laps. Single Player is a bit more complex, it features Single Race, where you can set up a race with any car, circuit and other options. There's also a practice mode, where you go out on the track by yourself and as the name suggests, practice. Then there's Championship where you can go through a whole "career", starting with championships consisting of 3 lap races and working your way up through endurances and Grand Prix-like championships. You are also able to create your own championship, which works pretty much the same as Single Race, but you're setting up a whole championship. Winning championships unlocks more cars and circuits to use in the other modes.

There's also my favourite feature, the track editor. You can design pretty much any layout you want, with elevation, corners of almost any kind, banking, "lane switcher", chicanes and some rather bland scenery. Then you can go off and race the AI on your circuit.

Another game I found pretty entertaining was Audi A4 Driving Challenge which was produced by Audi themselves. It's more of a time-trial racing game where you work your way through a limited amount of courses beating the set times in the Audi A4 2.0T. You are able to unlock two more cars, the A4 3.2 and R8 by beating the record times. Unlike SlotZ Racer, this game makes use of the Accelerometer which takes a little getting used to but once you do, you should be fairly comfortable despite looking a little stupid in public.

Audi A4 Driving Challenge is a free download. I don't find it as entertaining as SlotZ Racer, but it's still quite enjoyable and worth it if you're an Audi/automotive fan.

The third and final driving game I've downloaded is the Truth in 24 game, also produced by Audi. I found it to be a bit buggy, so I only played it 2 or 3 times before removing it. In this game you drive the Audi R10 around Le Mans, if I recall correctly, against less than impressive AI cars. Truth in 24 is also free. I don't really have much else to say about this game since I didn't get much play time before deleting it.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2511619)   #3
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good recommendations !

I've downloaded the first two. Didnt bother with the le mans game as read the other reviews and everyone said it crashes, like you mentioned.

I enjoy the scalextric style game, and for 59 pence was a bargain. Need to learn how to feather the accelator though !

The audi driving game is very good too. The first track reminds me of donington national circuit, not sure if its meant to be it though !

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant