Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Nov 2013, 10:59 (Ref:3330328)   #3001
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I cant tell whether it is quick or not, but I can say with complete certainty that to my eyes, this is the ugliest racing Porsche ever! So sad!
It had better be quick!!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3330330)   #3002
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
A video of the Porsche LMP1 at Paul Ricard
From what I could tell, it looked like a Delta Wing knock off.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3330338)   #3003
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think there were a few unrealistic expectations on the car as to how it would look and sound. They are worked into a box by the regs.

It's surely all about the performance for this car.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3330393)   #3004
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I think there were a few unrealistic expectations on the car as to how it would look and sound. They are worked into a box by the regs.
I get that. I'm lamenting that the box "painted" by the regulations produces such ugly looking cars. Regulators need to look at that. They too, need to help "market" their product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It's surely all about the performance for this car.
It had better be.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3330395)   #3005
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
The engine note is just weird. It is like there is a lot of noise (for a turbo) initially in acceleration, but then it vanishes somewhere. The exhaust heat system?

Complaining about the looks = beating a dead horse, if the basis is that you know the regs and then somehow expect GT11 GT1 98 looks.

The full width wing improves the overal appearance quite a lot vs. even the current loophole wings.

Last edited by deggis; 12 Nov 2013 at 14:10.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 14:28 (Ref:3330402)   #3006
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Complaining about the looks = beating a dead horse, if the basis is that you know the regs and then somehow expect GT11 GT1 98 looks.
Never in any of my posts have I ever mentioned expecting the LMP1 to look like a GT1 98 or any other car. In fact, I have been extremely concerned and expressed very early on how I was not looking forward to seeing my beloved Porsches with shark fin's and great big holes over the wheels.
Perhaps if enough people beat a dead horse, then maybe the people responsible for killing them will think twice before killing another one.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3330412)   #3007
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
The 'chirping' reminds me of the 962.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 15:03 (Ref:3330418)   #3008
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Never in any of my posts have I ever mentioned expecting the LMP1 to look like a GT1 98 or any other car.
Was meant to be read between the lines.

Quote:
In fact, I have been extremely concerned and expressed very early on how I was not looking forward to seeing my beloved Porsches with shark fin's and great big holes over the wheels.
But it's not like this was the first ever video/photo of the car

Quote:
Perhaps if enough people beat a dead horse, then maybe the people responsible for killing them will think twice before killing another one.
There was a chance to revise the regs more completely for 2014, but the it was not done, so I think for a few years complaining won't do much. Actually I think the overall look of 2014 is a slight improvement over 2013, almost solely because of the full width rear wing.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3330429)   #3009
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Was meant to be read between the lines.
Ha! I see.

Quote:
But it's not like this was the first ever video/photo of the car
No, but it still hasn't grown on me.

Quote:
There was a chance to revise the regs more completely for 2014, but the it was not done, so I think for a few years complaining won't do much. Actually I think the overall look of 2014 is a slight improvement over 2013, almost solely because of the full width rear wing.
You are no doubt right, but I'll continue to comment.....until the car's performance out weighs it's looks.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 04:56 (Ref:3330703)   #3010
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Wonder how its times compare to other recent lmp's at Paul Ricard.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3330845)   #3011
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Wonder how its times compare to other recent lmp's at Paul Ricard.
It would be interesting to know. I don't know how teams run these private tests, but if it was me (I might be "Captain Obvious" here), I would make it hard for whoever is spying on the test to determine any actual lap times. Maybe run laps in which they focus on specific sectors, and rotate those sectors throughout the day, but never compete a full hot lap. The team can always stitch together what the best lap might have been. And of course they have some test plan in place that may not really ever require them to look for ultimate pace?

Richard
Old 13 Nov 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3330850)   #3012
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Paul Ricard has 100 possible configurations so a laptime wouldn't be much use unless the exact configuration is also known.
Old 13 Nov 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3331061)   #3013
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
These guys usually run one or two layouts with the lonnnng straight to test for LeMans. Pretty sure lap times are used as benchmarks since there was a 2014 tire test there recently.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3331071)   #3014
deggis
Veteran

Finland
But whose lap times? Since this supposedly was Porsche's first test there.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3331073)   #3015
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
But whose lap times? Since this supposedly was Porsche's first test there.
Who? Toyota and Audi who partook in the tire test. And who tested there beforehand. To be close to current lmp times surely can't be a bad thing.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 00:17 (Ref:3331075)   #3016
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Assuming Michelin is allowed to share lap times between teams...
Old 14 Nov 2013, 00:24 (Ref:3331076)   #3017
TF110
Veteran

United States
It was an open test. There were even GT teams testing the same days. They could have timed the laps themselves (porsche).
Old 18 Nov 2013, 05:21 (Ref:3332892)   #3018
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Apparently the early December test at Sebring has been cancelled. That is usually not a good sign. Hopefully it has nothing to do with the car or the development program, but rather extemporaneous factors beyond Porsche's control.

Last edited by Spyderman; 18 Nov 2013 at 05:43.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 05:37 (Ref:3332895)   #3019
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Apparently the early December test at Sebring has been cancelled. That is usually not a good sign. Hopefully it has noting to do with the car or the development program, but rather extemporaneous factors beyond Porsche's control.
Mr. Webber will be very not happy if that program is cancelled!
Old 18 Nov 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3332897)   #3020
kingers
Racer

kingers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He cannot drive anyway until January. I guess no one likes lost progres, as seen on the podium in Texas he is keen as mustard to get out of the Red Bull (must be the only person in the world wanting to do so!!) and into the Porsche Lmp1.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 07:17 (Ref:3332918)   #3021
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the supposed Audi test at Sebring is the reason??
Old 18 Nov 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3332921)   #3022
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Maybe the supposed Audi test at Sebring is the reason??
Why? Especially as Porsche does not need to obey any WEC testing regulations yet (until Jan 1?), so they can definitely have a private test if they want (I'm referring to the "open private test" term in the regulations).
Old 18 Nov 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3333202)   #3023
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Cancelled ..... not a chance .
Old 18 Nov 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3333230)   #3024
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

What? "Strictly"?

Old 19 Nov 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3333595)   #3025
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
I know that this is "silly" at first sight and totally inconsistent with the "official" announcements made so far by Porsche representatives, but I am hearing (again and again...) that Porsche "could" have opted for diesel power...

I sincerely doubt that this is the case. If this "rumour" is true, however, this would definitely surprise a few...

Don't shoot me, I am just raising the silly-or-not-so-silly question again