Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jan 2017, 22:34 (Ref:3704596)   #1
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chase Carey Welcome to the Piranha Club

If seems Chase Carey is to take over in Bernie's job to be assisted by Ross Brawn (who is well known in F1), Sean Bratches (of ESPN) and Greg Maffei (of Liberty Media).

The latter two along with Chase Carey I expect will have a lot to learn about F1 but they have somebody very knowledgeable in Ross Brawn to help them do that.

Welcome to the Piranha Club folks.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127859

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ro...ucture-868065/

Last edited by wolfhound; 23 Jan 2017 at 22:41.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3704820)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Three good points so far:

1) Bringing in someone who cares about the sport first and foremost in Ross Brawn

2) Securing the British GP

3) Getting rid of Bernie's power
Old 24 Jan 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3704827)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if one thing does give me hope it is their suggestion that Ferrari will lose its special payments.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3704973)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And another thing I forgot to mention is that he's also planning to make GPs more of an event to bring more people in. Good luck to him
Old 24 Feb 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3714552)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
This guy is responsible for Fox News, and is buddies with Rupert Murdoch.
Just saying...
Old 25 Feb 2017, 08:29 (Ref:3714635)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

Yeah well give him time, I don't think that will be a problem
Old 26 Mar 2017, 21:11 (Ref:3721693)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cut to the Chase

From the interviews I have seen, Chase seems like a breath of fresh air...I wish him well and hope he listens to all input then draws a line of best fit for the good of the sport
Old 28 Mar 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3722168)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

Was it him who was interviewed on the C4 qualifying show?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3722191)   #9
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Was it him who was interviewed on the C4 qualifying show?
The reality is Bernie got eaten by a bigger Pirahna - Chase Cary......the bloke kills with kindness, and I like his style, totally agree a breath of fresh air, all Bernie cared about was screwing over circuits and TV companies for more money to host/show a sport in decline due to pay-TV contracts and a lack of digital media interaction.

I am preying that Ross Brawn fixes the driver safety aspect and designs a real neat set of rules with perspex type canopies, the fully enclosed concepts from RedBull and Mclaren were just epic

Also they need to ditch the stupid exhaust driven generators, its totally not road relevant, and I say this as I work in the automotove powertrain advanced engineering hybrid sector for a living. I really believe they just need to fix the noise issue, which is easily fixed by going twin-turbo to free up the exhaust flow, it would save a lot of cost for the manufacturers. Also I think there is possibly an argument for having a front wheel driven KERS system which is totally independent of the powertrain, much like Audi did with the LMP1 car.......its far more road relevant and would simplify F1 a great deal
Old 28 Mar 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3722288)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Carey didn't cause the demise of Mr Ecclestone, Mr Malone did...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Mar 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3722374)   #11
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I really believe they just need to fix the noise issue, which is easily fixed by going twin-turbo to free up the exhaust flow, it would save a lot of cost for the manufacturers.
Agree. If they're going to stick with the V6, twin turbo is the way to go. But that will obviously need a total top end redesign for all manufactures.

And rev limit raised to 18-20'000RPM!! If they can increase the sound (volume) level to be somewhere in between what we have now, and the V10 engines, that would be ideal.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3722493)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
The reality is Bernie got eaten by a bigger Pirahna - Chase Cary......the bloke kills with kindness, and I like his style, totally agree a breath of fresh air, all Bernie cared about was screwing over circuits and TV companies for more money to host/show a sport in decline due to pay-TV contracts and a lack of digital media interaction.

I am preying that Ross Brawn fixes the driver safety aspect and designs a real neat set of rules with perspex type canopies, the fully enclosed concepts from RedBull and Mclaren were just epic

Also they need to ditch the stupid exhaust driven generators, its totally not road relevant, and I say this as I work in the automotove powertrain advanced engineering hybrid sector for a living. I really believe they just need to fix the noise issue, which is easily fixed by going twin-turbo to free up the exhaust flow, it would save a lot of cost for the manufacturers. Also I think there is possibly an argument for having a front wheel driven KERS system which is totally independent of the powertrain, much like Audi did with the LMP1 car.......its far more road relevant and would simplify F1 a great deal
Yeah I agree Bernie just got greedy and never in touch and it was overdue his departure

However as for my question, can't remember if it was Carey or one of his right hand people, basically he said he would like to see more teams and a much better calendar and better promotion to get the fans in, so I have big hope for the future
Old 29 Mar 2017, 23:14 (Ref:3722508)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yeah I agree Bernie just got greedy and never in touch and it was overdue his departure

However as for my question, can't remember if it was Carey or one of his right hand people, basically he said he would like to see more teams and a much better calendar and better promotion to get the fans in, so I have big hope for the future
Yes Carey said that in an interview in Melbourne at the track...the thing I liked that there was also an air of excitement coupled with a little deer in the headlights apprehension in his delivery
Old 12 Apr 2017, 04:07 (Ref:3725680)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The new regime starting to look like old regime. Actually that's not fair....the new guy is probably selling out for a lot less than the old guy.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tu...sident-892757/

Must be said it's a great track.

Last edited by chillibowl; 12 Apr 2017 at 04:13.
Old 4 May 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3731005)   #15
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Alonso/Indy 500 thread has been moved out of this forum so there is no longer a place to discuss the impacts of that on F1, so I will try it here! Ultimately this post is really about potential changes to how F1 is run given the new regime change.

So apparently Alonso's Indy Rookie test drew 2 million viewers...

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129309

That was split between Facebook and YouTube. I watched a good bit of it on YouTube. While a lot of it was waiting around, there were moments that were very interesting such as some open debriefs and discussions between Alonso and the team between runs. They had a camera right in the pit area. I found it fascinating. This type of thing plus the use of the Periscope live streaming app for some of the Nissan LMP1 testing a while back is very much the way forward for fan engagement.

The article above also comes to the same conclusions as it wonders out loud about how F1 should be looking at this type of thing.

Richard
Old 4 May 2017, 16:02 (Ref:3731018)   #16
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite today

New F1 chief Chase Carey recently told the Times newspaper that he is alarmed by the lack of promotion of the Silverstone race.

"You could walk though London and not even know the grand prix was on," he said.

I have news for you matey. I live 10 miles from the track and there is never any promotion to speak of for any event . Their complacency and arrogance is breath taking
Old 4 May 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3731032)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Quite today

New F1 chief Chase Carey recently told the Times newspaper that he is alarmed by the lack of promotion of the Silverstone race.

"You could walk though London and not even know the grand prix was on," he said.

I have news for you matey. I live 10 miles from the track and there is never any promotion to speak of for any event . Their complacency and arrogance is breath taking
The only problem is that the British GP is one of the few GPs around the world that consistently sells out completely, and they have been known to run a stand-by list. In fact, the most expensive tickets are already sold out, and over 50% overall have gone.

Add to that they have had to increase the number of tickets by around 25% over the last couple of years to meet the demand. They don't need, at this time, to promote the race to get spectators through the turnstiles, although it might add to the hype about how exclusive it is.

And talking about exclusivity, did you know that Silverstone becomes the busiest "airport" on the Sunday of the meeting, handling the constant flow of helicopters bringing in some of the drivers, their families, senior team members, all the "VIP" guests, and not forgetting those spectators that like to beat the crowds.
Old 6 May 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3731530)   #18
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You do know how event promotion works in this country for most circuit racing, don't you?

I'll enlighten those who don't: for almost all events aside from MotoGP, WSBK, the F1 and perhaps one or two others, the organisers (promoting club) rent the circuit for their own ends and it is they who have to promote the event. The circuit gets their costs covered plus a touch of profit, and if the circuit sells the tickets for the club then there's a slice for the circuit on the tickets but all the rest of the money goes to the promoting club.

It's not usually in the circuits' interests to splash out (tens of) thousands of pounds in advertising for smaller events, they leave it to the clubs to do that. If they bring in a significant crowd then everyone wins, and if they don't the club costs are usually covered (but not always!) by the entrants' entry fees.

The live music industry uses pretty much the same model - the risks are with the promoters, not the venues. The rewards, likewise.
Old 8 May 2017, 16:26 (Ref:3732264)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
not having read the article, is CC having a dig at the British GP promoters or was he commenting on FOM's failure to promote one of it's series top events in general?

his opinion that FOM has traditionally done a horrible job at promoting the sport as a whole is not really open for debate...FOM has fallen far far behind what other organizing bodies do for their respective sports.

to that point, looks like they are trying to organize a street demo in London this year.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...mo-901706/?s=1

that however leaves us with a different problem....the more popular they make F1 the greater the risk of falling victim to the realities of popularity...which in the case of the British GP translates into even increasing ticket prices!

#neverhappy
Old 8 May 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3732271)   #20
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chilli, to be fair to Silverstone, although it is expensive, they have increased the spectator numbers by about 40,000 in the last few years whilst they also reduced the prices so that the ticket revenue was roughly the same. And as I wrote earlier in this thread, they really don't need to publicise the GP because it will be a sell out - well, it has been for many years.

As to the demo in London, my memory tells me that this has been done in previous years. The problem is that it tends to cause gridlock right in the centre of a major city, and it costs an absolute fortune to manage, what with closing off streets, and having to have the police "marshalling" the area.

Mind you, the Wimbledon men's final was on at the same time last year, and when the race finished, my sons and I went and sat in front of a jumbo screen to watch the last couple of sets. And that was far more exciting than the F1s, especially with Andy Murray winning!
Old 8 May 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3732313)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
agreed...in terms of ticket sales, the Silverstone promoters do a great job so they have little need to spend more on promotions as their methods clearly work in selling out their own event.

but the benefit of promotion in London isnt just limited to London or UK residents thinking about attending Silverstone...i would think there are additional benefits for FOM to directly handle advertising in one of the more tourist visited cities in the world.
Old 9 May 2017, 00:07 (Ref:3732349)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why there should be massive promotion in London...I don't associate Silverstone with London.

Other countries where the Circuit is within the City like Montreal, Melbourne, Mexico City, or even Austin, where the city can be seen from the circuit. Absolutely knock yourself out with city centre events but London to Silverstone ... doesn't work for me.
Old 9 May 2017, 00:14 (Ref:3732350)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought the same. Promote F1 and the products within it in London, but there is no need to promote Silverstone there. As you say it's not that relevant and, as pointed out above, it's sold out anyway.
Old 9 May 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3732417)   #24
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why there should be massive promotion in London...I don't associate Silverstone with London.
You may not, but to a lot of people not having lived their lives in this green and pleasant (for now) land, "British" means "near London".

I know we joke about visitors turning up in the Highlands and referring to them as "near London", but there's a reason for that. To many people, 500 miles is just across the state line...
Old 9 May 2017, 16:40 (Ref:3732506)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

I do agree, why does Silverstone need more promotion, considering it's one of the few sold out GPs on the calendar?