Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 24 Nov 2005, 05:09 (Ref:1469012)   #26
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would like to see Matt Jaskoll get a few races. I believe he tested well at Paul Riccard.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1474743)   #27
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phil Giebler will drive for team USA in Dubai. Herta will apparently be back in the spring.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1474744)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Giebler's a good shout.

Underrated and deserves a chance.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1474755)   #29
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Giebler is one of those drivers who never seems to do anything really properly, probably due to lack of funds. I agree he has some talent.

On the other hand, I reckon Bryan Herta is doing a good job in turning things around for Team USA, so I'd leave him alone. He should be great when they get to Laguna Seca and, let's face it, they're not not going to win overall now.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1474773)   #30
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Herta was the 1st choice, but he feels after a season's worth of travelling he needs a winter break!
Old 1 Dec 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1474796)   #31
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't blame for that at all - I would feel the same. It's just that I read an interview with him this week, which I can't now find ( ), in which he said he said they were making progress since he brought over his own engineer and that he wanted to use the races between now and Laguna Seca to get the car exactly right.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1475454)   #32
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Phil Giebler will drive for team USA in Dubai
Phil who? This is disappointing, it is supposed to be the World Cup of Motorsport but this is a no-name. There are quite a few countries who could have more well known or proven drivers and instead of attracting better drivers during the season it seems to be going backwards.

I am not saying this driver is bad, I simply don't know anything about this guy and I follow a lot of different series pretty closely.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1475463)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Not closely enough then!

The series is as much about giving opportunities as it is about having big names.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1475478)   #34
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phil Giebler has won races in F3 & IPS, (on debut, from the back of the grid). He was a competitive runner with Supanova in F3000, despite no testing and is a multiple karting champion, including 2005. He even won the FPA winter series one year, when it was still trying to be a 'serious' championship.

Phil is highly respected by the teams and engineers he has worked with, the only thing that has held his career back is a lack of funding. Remember he and Pat Long were the quickest drivers at the original Red Bull driver tests.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1475523)   #35
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport introduces him as a "former French F3 race winner". Big deal. Again I am not saying he is bad, but I disagree that the "World Cup of Motorsport" should be a shop window for up and coming talent. There are enough series for that already. I think it should be something that the best and proven drivers from each country view as being worthwhile to participate in.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1475565)   #36
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst a championship that pits the best drivers from each country against one another would be a good thing, I can't see it happening for the time being. Ultimately, drivers are going to have other priorities for the regular motorsport season and as such have contracts which have to be honoured. Therefore, I can't imagine, say, Ferrari, releasing Michael Schumacher and risk him getting injured and disrupting the winter test programme. However, as A1GP becomes more established then I would imagine that more and more drivers will aspire to compete in it.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1482882)   #37
El_Gibleto
Veteran

Kiwi 3, are you still disapointed in Team USA using Phil Giebler. Constant improvement through out the weekend and moving from 13th to 5th in the feature race before the car failed?

Team USA are using him for the next race, so obviously they were impressed.

To find out more about Phil have a look at his web site Here

(NB I have no connection with Phil or his management.)

Last edited by El_Gibleto; 13 Dec 2005 at 07:38. Reason: Adding a web link
Old 13 Dec 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1482895)   #38
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Phil who?
This guy is a top notch driver - first time in car and he's running 5th in the feature race - that for me is very impressive.

Who? More appropriate to some of the other countries drivers such as Ebrahim, Khan, Etc Etc

By the way I am not a US Supporter but acknowledge it when I see talent and this fellow Phil Giebler impressed me more than any other US Driver that has driven for Team USA!
Old 13 Dec 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1482929)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbathshah
and this fellow Phil Giebler impressed me more than any other US Driver that has driven for Team USA!
Me too, he seemed to be right on the pace in the feature race, just a shame he recorded a DNF. Although I think that if given more time in the car Scott Speed would be potentially faster than Giebler. At the moment anyway.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1484057)   #40
El_Gibleto
Veteran

Where are you Kiwi3???? We'd all love to know what you think of Phil Giebler after the weekend.

When Phil and Scott speed race against each other in karts Phil was always quicker, as he was at the original Red Bull test session. Remember Phil has done one car race before Dubai this year and no testing, Speed has done a full season of GP2 and many many test miles in the A1GP car.

Give Phil equal time then decide who is the faster.