Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 9 Dec 2007, 08:50 (Ref:2084727)   #1
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motorsport in uk for an aussie

ill be moving to london early next year and i had a few questions about motorsport in the uk. Id like to go and see a few different series while im there. Basically how far are most tracks from london and are they easy to get to via train bus etc? Im planning on going to a wtcc round, btcc round and dtm round and was wondering prices etc.

also ill be over when the v8 supercar series is on. i dont suppose its on tv there or if its not do any pubs show it? Im mainly concerned about Bathurst.

thanks
Old 9 Dec 2007, 09:08 (Ref:2084737)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Brands Hatch is the nearest from central London at around 19 miles but it's not the easiest place to get to by public transport. WTCC, BTCC and DTM are all there though.
All the other tracks Snetterton 100 miles, Silverstone, 100miles, Thruxton 100miles are equally difficult to access by public transport although there may be special coach/entry deals going for the major events.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 09:20 (Ref:2084740)   #3
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
v8 supercars are shown on Motors TV
Old 9 Dec 2007, 09:32 (Ref:2084746)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
One of the mods may want to move this to trackside where it would probably get a far better audience.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 09:34 (Ref:2084747)   #5
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hrt Kid,
Let us know when you get here. I live in London and will be going to quite a few meetings at Brands Hatch, including WTCC, DTM & BTCC. Also Silverstone and Snetterton ( where you could help us marshal at the legendry 2cv 24hr).
Old 9 Dec 2007, 10:19 (Ref:2084753)   #6
24Hours
Rookie

24Hours should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey HRT kid! I am from the gold coast and have moved over here 5 months ago. I have been pretty busy and have not had much time to check out too much motorsport, but i did go and see the 1000km of silverstone LMES race, and had a ball. I live in London and it wasnt too much of a hassle to get out there. It basically consisted of a train ride then a short stint in a taxi. But as you can see there are plenty of decent people to help make things a bit easier. The next event for me is the race of champions at wembley stadium next week, just a short 5 minute walk bring it on.

p.s. please bring some aussie weather with you!!!!
Old 9 Dec 2007, 10:32 (Ref:2084761)   #7
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Hours
Hey HRT kid! I am from the gold coast and have moved over here 5 months ago. I have been pretty busy and have not had much time to check out too much motorsport, but i did go and see the 1000km of silverstone LMES race, and had a ball. I live in London and it wasnt too much of a hassle to get out there. It basically consisted of a train ride then a short stint in a taxi. But as you can see there are plenty of decent people to help make things a bit easier. The next event for me is the race of champions at wembley stadium next week, just a short 5 minute walk bring it on.

p.s. please bring some aussie weather with you!!!!
24Hours
My offer to HRT kid also extends to you, and anyone else in London. I'd rather not see you guys struggle on public transport and taxis (!!??), when I will be going alone, at present, by car. The only drawback is that, being a marshal, we have to be there rather early, to say the least, but at least it gives you time to look around and get a good spot. You could always join us marshals.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2084770)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well for seeing all those series I guess you've chosen about the best possible location to live in London!

Moved to trackside as well as it's more generally focused this thread.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 11:27 (Ref:2084782)   #9
The Hrt Kid
Racer

thanks for all the info guys, white flag man ill be in touch

is motors tv a pay tv channel or free to air? do they show v8 races live or on delay?
Old 9 Dec 2007, 12:19 (Ref:2084818)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Motors is now a pay channel and all the V8 races are on delay, sometimes by a week or so.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2084856)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really, falcey ? When did that happen? I assume it comes with the sports package on Sky, cos I still have it.

The Philip Island rounds were on Live, I'm not sure on the regularity of live coverage. Hrt Kid, you'll think everything else is tame compared to the V8's I bet!
Old 9 Dec 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2084866)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Really, falcey ? When did that happen? I assume it comes with the sports package on Sky, cos I still have it.
Earlier this year I believe, I have it on Sky so I didn't notice but I have seen a few threads on other forums about having to pay for Motors TV.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 19:20 (Ref:2086709)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MotorsTV was moved into a SKY package, but there isn't any additional charge to view.

And to clear up something that was said....the V8s are shown on a same day delay (ie Sunday evening our time), with many repeats throught the following weeks.
MotorsTV recently signed a new contract for the V8s which will allegedly provide more Live coverage and presumably full race re-runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorsTV press release 16/11/07
From next year the channel will expand their coverage to include more coverage of qualifying at selected rounds and more live feeds. This year, the Bathurst 1000 was featured, in full, on a delayed-as-live basis, while the Desert 400 in Bahraïn and the upcoming Dunlop Grand Final at Phillip Island will be broadcast live throughout Europe.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 18:23 (Ref:2091434)   #14
montoya
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, Yorkshire
montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden Hill is worth going to for the Rallycross. The Goodwood Festival of Speed shouldn't be out of the question either.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 23:33 (Ref:2094851)   #15
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden Hill is a must for the rallycross easter monday!!
Old 26 Dec 2007, 12:21 (Ref:2094964)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If theres events you wanna get to just ask on here - I'm sure you can get a ride.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 17:17 (Ref:2095021)   #17
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and you're a lot nearer Le Mans....
Old 24 Mar 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2160285)   #18
niftynic
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
niftynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey HRT Kid,

I'm looking at starting up an Aussie UK race team and I need some enthusiastic volounteers, have you arrived in London yet?

To anybody else reading I've got a thread running under Aus/Kiwis into cars and racing.

Thanx
Old 3 Apr 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2168456)   #19
Azza
Rookie

Azza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone, Im moving to the uk in spetember and i saw this topic so i thought i would reply rather then start my own. I get to the uk the week of the phillip island 500, one of the biggest races on the v8 calender. Will this be shown on free to air tv live?

I think at the beginning i will be based in london, is there any events at a track on close in september onwards???

cheers
Old 3 Apr 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2168649)   #20
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The V8 Supercars is shown on the MotorsTV channel which is only on satellite/cable tv. I think they have highlights on in the middle of the night on Channel Five which is a terrestrial channel (in most areas).

September is getting towards the end of the season, but you should be able to find somewhere good to go. There are plenty of circuits close to London if you have access to a car.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2168913)   #21
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza
Hi everyone, Im moving to the uk in spetember and i saw this topic so i thought i would reply rather then start my own. I get to the uk the week of the phillip island 500, one of the biggest races on the v8 calender. Will this be shown on free to air tv live?

I think at the beginning i will be based in london, is there any events at a track on close in september onwards???

cheers
Brands Hatch,
20/21 Sept, Final British Touring Car meeting
10/12 Oct, British Superbikes
1/2 Nov, Truck Superprix
Old 9 Apr 2008, 04:09 (Ref:2173589)   #22
The Hrt Kid
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftynic
Hey HRT Kid,

I'm looking at starting up an Aussie UK race team and I need some enthusiastic volounteers, have you arrived in London yet?

To anybody else reading I've got a thread running under Aus/Kiwis into cars and racing.

Thanx
good and bad news. i got a promotion with work and the money was way way to good to knock back, so the trip to the uk has been postponed for now. i am looking to do a holiday over there later in the year. that date around the btcc round is very tempting.