Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 13 Jan 2008, 23:13 (Ref:2105575)   #1
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton re-development still on?

I remember this subject being raised last year, and after some attempted detective work by members I think nobody really new what was going on.

Does anybody know what the current situation is with JP's proposed modernising of the circuit?
Old 14 Jan 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2105730)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Still in with the council awaiting planning permission. If it does happen, it won't start until next winter.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 00:52 (Ref:2106302)   #3
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least it sounds like JP's not given up, I think he needs to throw in some "Affordable housing" to get things moving along. Those are the magic words nowadays as regards town planning!
Old 15 Jan 2008, 01:04 (Ref:2106305)   #4
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read in the local rag, Attleborough Mercury or something that JP had brought the issue up with the council, may have to change a few bits possibly incluidng building an earth bank to deaden some of the noise but it looks positive.

On an alternative note, how can people complain about track noise when they are allowed to fly noisy old Bi winged aircraft from old buckenham airfield!!
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2107355)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The issue with building affordable housing there is that then the people would complain about the noise.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2107363)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre
may have to change a few bits possibly incluidng building an earth bank to deaden some of the noise but it looks positive.
Drove past a week or so ago and there was a lot of heavy plant working on building an earth bank between the circuit and the A11. Could this be part of the deal?
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2107364)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That earth bank all along the market side of the Revett straight has been steadily growing for getting on for 2 years now. There is talk of another from the bomb hole right around Coram to Russell. This is the most important one as it is from this direction that the complaints come from, a couple of residents in Eccles village.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2107382)   #8
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
On an alternative note, how can people complain about track noise when they are allowed to fly noisy old Bi winged aircraft from old buckenham airfield!!
Because retired whingers with nothing better to do than complain about car noise at the race circuit they just moved next to like old bi-planes but don't like race cars.

The funniest one I heard was when a bunch of people near Castle Combe all registered a noise complaint (totally independantly I am sure!) when there was actually NO CARS DRIVING ON THE CIRCUIT at the time.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2107394)   #9
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A noise abatement order was slapped on Snetterton and this is still being sorted, but close to resolution. Looks like Snetterton is going to have to come inline with other circuits - limited number of unsilenced days. It looks like a bunding bank will need to be built around the Esses to Coram to try and cut down the noise for local residents to allow the order to be lifted. This i assume is also delaying the planned redevelopment.
Also the new bank being built from Sear to the Bridge will have a spectator area on top so we can finally get close to Sear corner.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 16:58 (Ref:2107395)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
That earth bank all along the market side of the Revett straight has been steadily growing for getting on for 2 years now. There is talk of another from the bomb hole right around Coram to Russell. This is the most important one as it is from this direction that the complaints come from, a couple of residents in Eccles village.
Ahh... sorry I don't gt up that way very often these days. (Where did all the Americans go?!)
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2107444)   #11
ScoopJumps
Racer

United States
ScoopJumps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hey, I like to jump out of those noisy old aircraft from Old Buck'. You can get a great view of Snetterton circuit from up there.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2107482)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
christ, don't tell palmer that, he'll impose a no fly zone and put a roof on it...
Old 16 Jan 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2107513)   #13
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy100
local residents
I've never seen any signs of civilization anywhere near Snetterton. Industrial estate doesn't count...
Old 16 Jan 2008, 21:43 (Ref:2107573)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
christ, don't tell palmer that, he'll impose a no fly zone and put a roof on it...
or sell you a ticket
Old 16 Jan 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2107623)   #15
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom
Because retired whingers with nothing better to do than complain about car noise at the race circuit they just moved next to like old bi-planes but don't like race cars.
Not true. A large number of airfields have been in operation privately since WW2 (or not long after), but find themselves at the mercy of these noise abatement orders also, from developments since the field was live. Flight paths (approaches, circuits) are altered to be as friendly to local residents as possible, but it isn't always enough, or possible. I think Old Bucks might be one of the lucky ones, as it seems to be in the middle of nowhere (from memory - I know I've flown in there, but it's been a while - is it the one with a shortened runway with a haystack / wood-pile at the start / end of it?). Ditto Snetterton, but there's usually villages nearby somewhere (eg Lydden, Combe)
Old 16 Jan 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2107630)   #16
ScoopJumps
Racer

United States
ScoopJumps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson
I think Old Bucks might be one of the lucky ones, as it seems to be in the middle of nowhere (from memory - I know I've flown in there, but it's been a while - is it the one with a shortened runway with a haystack / wood-pile at the start / end of it?).
You're quite right only its not so much haystacks and wood as more like a construction site with heavy machinery and everything. Scares the **** out of me. Dont go too shallow on landing! Hence the reason I prefer to make my own descent.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2107633)   #17
Shawn
Racer

England
East Sussex
Shawn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
What a brilliant idea!
The worlds first indoor race track and no more wet'n windy days at Snetterton.
It could have central heating and everything...

p.s my patent request goes in the post tomorrow. hee hee
Old 16 Jan 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2107645)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Although I am a dyed in the wool racer and heavy rock freak, if somebody decided they were going to build something noisy or unsightly next to or near my house I would certainly join the "whingers" Most people whether they will admit it or not are nimby's. Agreed if the "thing" was already in place then they shouldn't complain as long as things don't alter. I am very lucky that I live in a green belt area in the UK that "shouldn't " be altered in the foreseeable future. The only way out of the Snett problem is a compromise, and that is what seems to be happening. The problem in life is its easy to find noise but not so easy to find silence, and I can actually see it from the nimby's point of view. It would be interesting to find out if JP lives in a quiet area !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jan 2008, 23:22 (Ref:2107649)   #19
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do they still get aircraft (especially Camel Moths in view of the previous posts!!) landing down the Revett straight at Snetterton?

The last time I went there was in 2000 to watch a certain achievement and when I went back last year I couldn’t believe the changes with the slip/ring road and how it made certain bits look very derelict and bad, not how I remembered it at all.

Are Van Dieman still based there? Also, probably more aimed at the residents; is there ever any chance of the old circuit being revived?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2107819)   #20
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deciding to build something noisy next to a bunch of houses is one thing. Moving next door to something already there and then complaining is another. Building a bunch of houses next to something that is already there and then telling prospective purchases that if they just complain enough they will then get the noisy thing closed down is just ridiculous!
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2107822)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not without a massive protest from the err,stallholders. Biggest mistake ever was in having the market on there!!!.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2107853)   #22
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike - There are two villages close by - Eccles and Quidenham which are just behind the trees behind the Esses and Coram. The majority of the residents either support or don't care about the noise as they knew the circuit was there - as usual the main fuss is being kicked up by the minority+ new residents.
Also Old Buck airfield - we are on the flight path of the aircraft using this and it is very busy at weekends and can be a lot more annoying, especially the "*****" who practises aerobatics over my house - not to mention the USAF F15's flying in to Lakenheath the other side !!
But as mentioned the majority fully support Snett and the benefit it brings to the area - pus the jobs if the new developement goes ahead.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2108060)   #23
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old Buckenham has a restriction on take off - shortly after you clear the end of the field you have to turn (I forget if it's left or right) to avoid some houses. This only applies when using the runway to the left (as you look from the clubhouse, which I guess makes it ~090).
Old 18 Jan 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2108545)   #24
s-crutineer
Rookie

s-crutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
It would be interesting to find out if JP lives in a quiet area !
he does

in fact the noisiest thing in the area is his helicopter!

oh and the bo**dy motorbikes down the A24
Old 18 Jan 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2108655)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think all motorsport fans should be made to buy up homes close to all UK circuits, be no problems then. :-)